Reversing sensors

wildebus

Just a question out of curiosity here ....
There are quite a few threads on reversing cameras on the forum, but I don't recall seeing any about reversing sensors?
On car forums it tends to be the other way round with sensors far more popular than cameras.

So the question ... has anyone got or fitted reversing sensors as well as or instead of a camera?
For myself, in cars I prefer a Camera to sensors, but either are useful. On a van only used a Camera, but maybe sensors could be useful as well?

I have both.

I had them fitted to all my MH's alongside the camera. I figure anything/everything that can help is useful especially as Mrs GMJ cannot always get out of the MH to help with any guiding back.

Dave Newell near Telford fitted them to my first 2 MH's however I got the dealer to fit them to the recent one before I collected. More expensive but a better system I think (wire free) with the LED indicators and noise right at the front on the dashboard. Slight annoyance is that they are black on the white rear bumper but you can get colour coordinated ones though.

I bought some sensors several years ago, but haven't got round to fitting them. The plan was to fit them at the front as well as at the back (which my car has: I find the front ones at least as useful). But there are always more important tasks than faffing with the van.

Camper has rear camera, no sensors. Work van has sensors no camera.

Wouldn’t be without the camera now, sensors 50/50, handy and a bit annoying at the same time. The sensors are all round, so pick up trees, ticket machines etc to the side as well.

Sensors are handy for going forward as well though, as close up visibility on modern vans gets worse with every new model.

Camper was bought new, didn't tick the sensor option and not going to fit aftermarket ones.

I thought some would have some. thanks for replies.

I've had a few cars with a camera and I do think that that is better if the choice is one OR other, but having both can be handy for sure.
Added the wireless camera to the Garmin Satnav on my Camperbus and wouldn't like to be without it - and same with the previous VW T5. Invaluable for reversing up to the trailer hitch without either having damage to too much dragging over to do :)

My current car has no camera but does have sensors rear AND front - I think the fronts are fitted primarily to allow the self-parking system to work (but only used it about 3 times, just for the fun of it :) ). I have found an annoying attribute on the fronts - from within a certain distance, the markers appear on the radio/'infotainment' screen and stops you being able to do anything with the radio - fine when driving of course, but if parked up close to an obstacle, it is a pain!

I'm planning on two cameras for the Betty build along with sensors. I've purchased some cameras, but still not sure about what sensors to buy. I'd like some that bleep faster the closer you get, but I'm not sure if they all do that.
And of course the other pain is that I want it all 24 volts.

I'm pretty sure they all beep faster as you get closer to an object and then go to a constant bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep when you are within a foot or 2.

Its worth checking each make as one foot is awfully close for a constant beep and if you are moving it might take you a foot to stop. Personally I'd want them to be at least a couple of foot so that you can get out of the cab and eyeball the rear if things are tight and you need to extra space.

I'm planning on two cameras for the Betty build along with sensors. I've purchased some cameras, but still not sure about what sensors to buy. I'd like some that bleep faster the closer you get, but I'm not sure if they all do that.
And of course the other pain is that I want it all 24 volts.
As said, pretty sure they all beep faster.
I have in the past fitted sensors which have a little LED display that tells you which sensors (left, middle or right) are closest to obstables (so more similar to factory-fitted systems). That type of system could be useful in a big van like Betty rather than one that tells you there is "something" at the back?
Given the very low power draw of these system, I would think a little regulator to drop the voltage down to 12V for the connection will be very little money.

I am just in the process of buying a PVC which has sensors but no camera. I can live with that because I can see through the rear windows. However is there an insurance aspect to this? When seeking quotes for my current MoHo they have always asked whether a camera is fitted. I wonder if the premium will be loaded slightly if the answer is no.

I am just in the process of buying a PVC which has sensors but no camera. I can live with that because I can see through the rear windows. However is there an insurance aspect to this? When seeking quotes for my current MoHo they have always asked whether a camera is fitted. I wonder if the premium will be loaded slightly if the answer is no.
I wonder is the question is more about Dashcams rather than reversing cameras?
(I would always say no to either anyway as it is a potential get-out clause if one is not working at the time even if not relevant to the claim)

Agree with your sentiment. Same with house alarms. Never declare them because if you forget to set you're not insured.

I have cameras and sensors but cannot hear the sensors ( age and tinnitus)
Old van had sensors and an external reversing warning beeper ( like a bin lorry) so I couldnt hear the sensors for the beeper anyway. I disconnected the reversing beeper.
Still cant hear the sensors warning. Duh!
K :(

I have cameras and sensors but cannot hear the sensors ( age and tinnitus)
Old van had sensors and an external reversing warning beeper ( like a bin lorry) so I couldnt hear the sensors for the beeper anyway. I disconnected the reversing beeper.
Still cant hear the sensors warning. Duh!
K :(
Good point on the Reversing Beeper - I have one of those and it is pretty loud! (I usually turn the sidelights on to silence it when reversing into the driveway at home, but it is handy to have where people are about).

I have tried house insurance quotes with and without alarm and / or window locks. It makes a difference to the number of quotes returned, but the premiums for the best-value ones don't seem to be affected.
This may not be normal, though. I live in a listed building, partly dating back to the 1600s, and it's right next to a stream, so some insurers simply run a mile!
Similarly, saying I have either a camera or reversing sensors seems to reduce motorhome insurance premiums by the same amount. Saying I have both doesn't seem to make any extra difference.

Never been asked about a dash cam by insurance, or reversing camera, or sensors. Might be the least of their worries with my post code, 😂

Our van came fitted with reversing beep and sensors. I would like a camera too but not on my essential list at the moment.

I’ve got 2 rear cameras, one acts like a rear view mirror, and changing into reverse switches on the other that shows the lower rear of the bodywork and area behind.

my car has reverse sensors and I think I’d like to fit some to the MH as well. Rear camera is an option on the car and I’d like one as well.

overall, I’d prefer cameras and sensors.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back