Reversing sensors

I have cameras and sensors but cannot hear the sensors ( age and tinnitus)
My car has pairs of lines of LEDs - the ones for the front sensors are on the dash, near the bottom of the windscreen.
The ones for the rear are in the roof lining, where you can see them in the rear view mirror.
The beeps are just annoying: I wish I could find a way to switch them off.

My insurance Comfort give me a discount for a reversing camera about 3% I think and they ask me every year if I still have it.
Every little helps

I have tried house insurance quotes with and without alarm and / or window locks. It makes a difference to the number of quotes returned, but the premiums for the best-value ones don't seem to be affected.
This may not be normal, though. I live in a listed building, partly dating back to the 1600s, and it's right next to a stream, so some insurers simply run a mile!
Similarly, saying I have either a camera or reversing sensors seems to reduce motorhome insurance premiums by the same amount. Saying I have both doesn't seem to make any extra difference.
You're right. Been punting around for quotes this morning. They all ask, "Do you have camera or sensors?". Answer 'yes' or 'no'', so they don't care which you have and having both makes no difference.

Just a question out of curiosity here ....
There are quite a few threads on reversing cameras on the forum, but I don't recall seeing any about reversing sensors?
On car forums it tends to be the other way round with sensors far more popular than cameras.

So the question ... has anyone got or fitted reversing sensors as well as or instead of a camera?
For myself, in cars I prefer a Camera to sensors, but either are useful. On a van only used a Camera, but maybe sensors could be useful as well?
I fitted two reversing cameras one at top of van which I leave on whilst driving and acts as a rear view mirror and one low down for reversing up close to anything, works really well and I can switch between cameras a touch of a button. I installed the system myself and is independent of the gearbox ,so I can switch them on as required, also handy when idiots park too close to the back end, my opinion is cameras are best.

I think which is best depends on what your vehicle is like and what you do with it. My last few cars have come with sensors front and back and they are an aid for parking close. All round visibility in the cars has been good so no camera needed. If I towed a lot a camera to see tis hitch would be handy though.
In the van you can’t see through the van and restricted visibility except for cab. Van has a rear camera that points down and covers maybe 20 feet view behind. That with the big door mirrors make it extremely easy to reverse and I can get right up to any markings.

Hi,

I have both

The sensors are not accurate enough and I ended up not trusting them and went back to the good old ‘get out and look’ technique.

The camera is ok ish and easily gets road film build up so needs a wipe before using.

When I first got the MH and these were fitted, I still managed to reverse over a tree sapling. The sensors missed it and I didn’t see it in the camera because of sunlight.

If possible try for a peek a boo camera which pops out when reverse is selected. The camera stays clean and sharp. I have one on my work van.

I am just in the process of buying a PVC which has sensors but no camera. I can live with that because I can see through the rear windows. However is there an insurance aspect to this? When seeking quotes for my current MoHo they have always asked whether a camera is fitted. I wonder if the premium will be loaded slightly if the answer is no.
The interior rear view mirror was missing and the dealer agreed to replace it which he did, fair play.
I always tend to reverse using the door mirrors and it wasn't until I'd had the van for a few weeks that I happened to glance up and, with some surprise, see a rear view image on the interior mirror. A quick check revealed a tiny camera just above the rear number plate.
Bonus!

(Van is a Renault Master BTW)

Camera and sensors both ends. Imagine looking at mirrors and screen when reversing ,front end swings out and the sensors let you know about that low wall / post

FWIW, I have both. They were already fitted when I bought the van. The sensors are good when I have bikes on the back as the bikes obscure the camera's view for about two metres behind the van. With no bikes on the back, I tend to rely on the camera.

There are quite a few threads on reversing cameras on the forum, but I don't recall seeing any about reversing sensors?
On car forums it tends to be the other way round with sensors far more popular than cameras.

So the question ... has anyone got or fitted reversing sensors as well as or instead of a camera?
For myself, in cars I prefer a Camera to sensors, but either are useful. On a van only used a Camera, but maybe sensors could be useful as well?
My old hobby 600 has sensors and camera and have found both very useful. Camera is on permanent not just reversing. My sensors are great unless I have the bikes on the bike rack. Shouldn't make a difference as the bike rack is quite high. The two camera system with one looking down and one looking back would probably be the best option but happy with what I got ,

My old hobby 600 has sensors and camera and have found both very useful. Camera is on permanent not just reversing. My sensors are great unless I have the bikes on the bike rack. Shouldn't make a difference as the bike rack is quite high. The two camera system with one looking down and one looking back would probably be the best option but happy with what I got ,
Front sensors I could do with when swinging😂🤣

I've made a couple of small unplanned modifications to my rear end over the years. Problem I find with the cameras is they get very blurry when its raining or wet, especially when its so heavy you are reluctant to get out for a look. The big A class mirrors are great, but that area just round the corner at the back that you can't see in the mirrors is also the worst spot to see clearly with the camera. Last trip to Scotland I discovered the apparent tuft of heather had something rather hard inside it, just high enough to snag the rear cill! I am hoping having a couple of sensors fitted when its repaired will help find the lumpy bits in future?

My sensors caput. Do miss them. It was a choice nit to have a camera as I think I personally prefer sensor and eyes

I've got both, already fitted when collected our moho, but both very useful

Just had a quote of £695 from our dealer for fitting rear sensors. Surprisingly enough I didn’t accept it! What would be a realistic price? Sadly my days of crawling around under the van are past, so I need to get someone to fit them.

I've got factory fitted camera, forward and rear sensors. I've also fitted a high level rear camera for when I've got something sat on the towbar obscuring the camera

Just had a quote of £695 from our dealer for fitting rear sensors. Surprisingly enough I didn’t accept it! What would be a realistic price? Sadly my days of crawling around under the van are past, so I need to get someone to fit them.
what is a realistic price? got a piece of string?

£695 is a high price. Sometimes to do a good job takes a lot of time and that price may well reflect the amount of hassle involved in the job. It might also be a "we don't really want the job but don't like to say that" price.

As an aftermarket installation, reversing sensors can be a right PITA. If you get a wireless kit it saves the problem of running a cable from back to front.
Assuming Wireless Sensors fitted, say £50 for a quality kit (no point in buying the cheapest possible when it is the smallest cost of the job);
Making holes in the bumper and fitting sensors - maybe an hour.
Getting power from the reversing light to the sensor controller. complexity depends on van - maybe 30 to 60 minutes?
Fitting receiver by dash and powering it up. again say 30 - 60 minutes?
so maybe a good mornings work. I doubt if you would get much change out of £250 from a commercial installer.
All those times could be improved on by someone who is fast and nimble who likes to rush around.

I don't know if there are many around any more, but try a car radio shop - this kind of thing is simple for them.

I'm planning on two cameras for the Betty build along with sensors. I've purchased some cameras, but still not sure about what sensors to buy. I'd like some that bleep faster the closer you get, but I'm not sure if they all do that.
And of course the other pain is that I want it all 24 volts.
Got a 24v to 12v reg if u are interested.

Disconnected the ones on my Adria because they were getting triggered when reversing on smooth flat bitumen. Maybe mounted too low, but worse than useless.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back