Rooftop WiFi

Any recommendations on which equipment to go for please?
I have a huawei 535 and poynting xpol 1 antenna, both 6 months old, I am going to a landline on 27th, if you can wait that long they could be yours for £40, cost me nearer £150!

SIM card?
No, I have a Smarty sim for the router, and a contract with Vodafone for the phone.
4gb on the phone, is usually more than enough at home , and I load the Smarty with what I think I’ll need for the time I’ll be away. Didn’t help at Hereford when I binged out on “In Line of Duty” in the rain. Six hours took a lot out of my 30 gb.😬
Luckily, included in the freebie this week is free internet access. Happy daze.
Should have enough data left on phone and Smarty to last until Hollingsworth. I’ll ask around for advice on using either 3mobile ( Smarty) or O2( Giffgaff). And change SIM card as necessary.
Being a service provider slapper works. I’ll go with anyone 🤌
Going back to where I was going to fit the Puck, the new solar panel put paid to that idea. So it was back to the drawing board.
I am just going to swap my SIM card out my phone if I want to watch anything on my Android box for the time being.

I bought a Poynting 5-in-1 MIMO which is mounted on the roof Jeff
31vgiY4Y+tL._AC_SY355_.jpg
I did have a Xpol 1 but I gave it to a friend, I have realised since that it was useful to have because I use my router away from the van as well

And if Tezza forgets to buy it I will have it ;)

Regards,
Del
I am beginning to think it was a mistake to tell you about my memory problems Del:ROFLMAO:

Hope you are both well Del, we will try to get out soon then I can show you my new xpol 1 and router :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Love to you and Diane from us

I am beginning to think it was a mistake to tell you about my memory problems Del:ROFLMAO:

Hope you are both well Del, we will try to get out soon then I can show you my new xpol 1 and router :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Love to you and Diane from us
You know you'll only end up selling it to me, just like the reversing camera monitor :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We're doing fine thanks, slowly getting back to our vanlife travels :unsure: Would love to see you soon, either near you or in a field somewhere ;)

Regards,
Del

Any recommendations on which equipment to go for please?
Don’t waste your money just use yer phone. I wasted a grand on a Huwei router. It worked but so does my iPh11. Why spend the several hundred (or if you are a **** like me a grand) and why pay for two data plans?

Don’t waste your money just use yer phone. I wasted a grand on a Huwei router. It worked but so does my iPh11. Why spend the several hundred (or if you are a **** like me a grand) and why pay for two data plans?
We prefer to use our phone data via hotspot. There are now ways of legally boosting phone signals.

Just about to get Smarty 30Gb for my Huawei router. Is there anything I need to know about how to activate it in a router?

o2 are doing a sim for 25 GBP - unlimited calls and text and 250 GB of data.. checked and you can use the 250 GB in europe up to 60 days then your into fair usage and being throttled back.

hello all,

I had WiFi fitted to my Motohome and I went with this product in the end. 4G compact. https://www.motorhomewifi.com/our-products/

I took about an hour to fit by a professional or you can fit yourself. I went with a professional as the Motorhome is new and I wanted to protect the warranty as much as possible. it also boosts the signal from any in the area so i can piggyback on them too if I wanted too.

o2 are doing a sim for 25 GBP - unlimited calls and text and 250 GB of data.. checked and you can use the 250 GB in europe up to 60 days then your into fair usage and being throttled back.
It’s in the o2 t&c that you can’t use the phone sim in a router. Told to me by Adam at motorhome WiFi

It’s in the o2 t&c that you can’t use the phone sim in a router. Told to me by Adam at motorhome WiFi
I maybe wrong but I thought Offcom said that the mobile companies have to allow you to use your sim in any device :unsure:
Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Del is right, it wasn't allowed in the past though so when did Adam tell you?
O2 still don't recommend it but it doesn't say that it is not allowed

O2 said:
We don't recommend using your phone as a personal hotspot. Sims on standard mobile tariffs are designed for calls, texts and general use, like daily browsing. They're not made for being used as or in a mobile broadband device, as this eats up a lot of data.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back