Scooter Rack Weight

Nick-Mandy

Hi folks,
I want to fit a scooter rack on the back of my motorhome.
The Scooter weight is 182kg and the nose weight is 125kg = over weight load apparently.
How does this work and what is the method of reaching this figure. In other words, how would the police calculate this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,
I want to fit a scooter rack on the back of my motorhome.
The Scooter weight is 182kg and the nose weight is 125kg = over weight load apparently.
How does this work and what is the method of reaching this figure. In other words, how would the police calculate this.

Thanks in advance.
No calculation by police - they just weigh axles and compare to allowable 😀
If you are overweight on front axle then hanging a scooter on the back will help. However the rear axle will go up considerably - how much load is available there?
I'd hazard that many motorhomes are overweight on rear axle and putting 200kg 2m behind it will make things much worse.

If you know both axle loads and the wheel base of the vehicle you can calculate the new new axle loads after fixing the scooter (and it's rack- probably another 50kg or so!) using static lever arm moments a out the back axle.

I rummaged around earlier posts and see that the motorhome is Elldiss 185.
This has nominal 'payload' of c500kg - but we know how optimistic manufacturers are 😀😀
From this you need to deduct usable quantity of fuel (60kg) solar panels (40kg) refillable gas cylinders and gas (40kg?) Bedding and clothes (40kg?) Food and drink (40kg) passengers (2 - 150kg?) Awning(40kg) Garden chairs? BBQ? Bike rack, Dog?
Soon that's all the payload gone without any scooter I'm afraid.
I may have been pessimistic and the standard solar panels and awning may have been included Mass in Ruining Order figure.
The only way to know for sure is to get the vehicle weighed.

I used to do a rough calculation that a 110 kg scooter would probably add 150 kg on rear axle and that is without heavy jackets and Kevlar jeans and helmets and top box, not forgetting security chain. So probably nearer to 200kg. Then you have the rack st probably 50 kg or more ! 😟
Yes and te imbalance taking weight off the front wheels which you need for power braking and steering.
Asl Laura (Lever). it will only take you a moment !

It's not the police any MH owner needs to worry about when it comes to weight but the DVSA, so it looks like @Mr Torchy will need to be carrying 2 lightweight racing bikes instead of the scooter and that might soon result in his most beloved soon be weighing in at considerably under 100kg ;)

If you want to take a scooter with a 3500kg van it's got to be Hydratrail.
Technically it's a trailer I suppose - so reduced top speeds and no right lane on motorways.

Last edited:
Plenty seem to do it but I'm not sure many are legal!
I suspect you need to go over 4T MGV to carry one hanging on the back.

Thanks everyone.

As my wife cannot ride a pedal bike nor be a passenger on the motorbike, as I have a bike rack already, I will just take a pedal bike with me instead.
I have a tow bar, so I'll look out for a small trailer on my travels.

Thanks everyone.

As my wife cannot ride a pedal bike nor be a passenger on the motorbike, as I have a bike rack already, I will just take a pedal bike with me instead.
I have a tow bar, so I'll look out for a small trailer on my travels.
How about this one?

Regards,
Del

If you want to take a scooter with a 3500kg van it's got to be Hydratrail.
Technically it's a trailer I suppose - so reduced top speeds and no right lane on motorways.

This looks genius 👌

Anyone seen any rivals?

I wonder if they patented the concept 🤔

Easylifter say that the lifting systemis patented - but once assembled it's a transverse trailer.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back