Scotland distilleries

Kat0

Hi all hope this isn’t too daft a question. We are planning a 2 week road trip round some of Scotland in May, & I’m looking for advice/recommendations regarding distilleries. We’d like to visit one or two!!! Ideally being able to park up on site or nearby overnight to sleep of the samples?? thanks for any suggestions in advance xx

One of my favourite whiskies is Bladnoch Single Malt from the most southern lowland distillery.

Following closure it was re-opened in 2015, and is constructing a brand new visitor centre. Whilst it won't be ready in time for your visit, I encourage you to add it to a future visit, and it's on my list:-

https://bladnoch.com/discover/bladnoch-single-malt/

Their are quite a few distilleries in Aberdeenshire and Moray, some have car parks, I do not know if they will let you overnight or not.
Their is a Whisky trail you can follow also along the way you could also tack in some Castles, if you like.

Aberfeldy comes to mind Dewars destilary one of the best working distillery tours in a beautiful setting there’s a realy nice council run caravan site directly across the road. The town of Aberfeldy is well worth a visit. There also the grouse experience in Crieff Well worth a visit.

One of my favourite whiskies is Bladnoch Single Malt from the most southern lowland distillery.

Following closure it was re-opened in 2015, and is constructing a brand new visitor centre. Whilst it won't be ready in time for your visit, I encourage you to add it to a future visit, and it's on my list:-

I have a couple of bottles of Bladnoch single malt from the eighties, might be worth a bob or two.

in the hills above pitlochry is the edrador distillery as well as being the largest independent distillery the owner has a business buying in casks from other distilleries and storing them in his bonded warehouse, a lot of the others are now just like factories but this threads backwards and forwards over the burn that it used to use for production cooling etc they also do a very nice baileys type product that jan loved and they have masses of cask strength whiskies , and you can stop in pitlochry itself

2F4EA3E6-3D00-490A-A54C-D3445C6318D2.jpeg7F110929-1023-4361-AAAC-5E2CFEE523C1.jpeg2C701C0C-13CD-4AFA-B459-DFCE186B2F88.jpeg

Thanks, it’s a fair trek for us to get to Scotland! but I don’t think it’ll be our only visit so will keep this one in mind?

in the hills above pitlochry is the edrador distillery as well as being the largest independent distillery the owner has a business buying in casks from other distilleries and storing them in his bonded warehouse, a lot of the others are now just like factories but this threads backwards and forwards over the burn that it used to use for production cooling etc they also do a very nice baileys type product that jan loved and they have masses of cask strength whiskies , and you can stop in pitlochry itself
Thanks that sounds interesting? particularly the Bailey style?

Am I getting confused again Ken, I thought this was advertised as the smallest distillery in Scotland?
Stopped here a few times in the past but never when it has been open. Wonderful setting and looks really nice from the road

If you go to Islay you have GOT to cross to Jura, but be warned, the distillery there plied me with samples and made me buy two bottles so I had to park wild just north of there and further test my purchases.

K ;)

Sadly, I don’t drink! I’ve never acquired the taste. However, now you’ve mentioned Islay, firstly there’s a nice gin distillery there.

But secondly, and most importantly, Islay is a lovely island to stay on, I’d reckon it’s probably my most favourite of the ones I’ve visited so far.

Oh, we also took the ferry across to Jura and the ferryman asked why we were going as there was little to offer over there. We drove to the end on the only road, found absolutely nowhere to park overnight and took the ferry back. Same ferryman and he knew we’d be back pdq ?

Lots and lots of deer.

you are right it is the smallest working distillery the tour guide also said largest in private hands and that it had been owned by the mob during prohibition must admit a very worthwhile tour coffe & tea were £1:50 but you got the branded mug it came in the tour was a fiver but you got a shot of two whiskeys included , poor jan stitch & i were both driving so she had to finish everything off lol

Glengoyne is a small distillery not far from Glasgow. It is one of my favourite whiskies. They offer different tours from just a visit, to a blend your own whisky tasting tour. Would recommend it.

I'm not sure you'll be able to overnight at the distillery, but you can always ask. (Remember the alcohol limit in Scotland is very low) My brother and I visited Glenkinchie, near Edinburgh, and because I was driving I got my samples in small bottles. Maybe other distilleries do the same. They also run a shuttle bus from the centre of Edinburgh.

There's several distilleries in or around Dufftown, including Glenfiddich, and a couple of campsites nearby too. I'm not an aficionado of tours, just the whisky - single malts, of course - but not all distilleries do tours, so a little research will be needed.

We visited Islay (pronounced Eye-la) last year, just after the Whisky Festival, (we don't like crowds) and stayed at the community run campsite at Port Charlotte. If you're thinking of going to the Festival, book everything well in advance. We visited a newish distillery nearby, Kilchoman, which grows its own barley, has a nice cafe and shop and produces a very good whisky. There's also a lovely beach just down the road. Sláinte

I know of none who will let you overnight on site firstly for security and secondly it’s a customs secure area
I may be proved wrong but never seen it allowed

I'm not sure you'll be able to overnight at the distillery, but you can always ask. (Remember the alcohol limit in Scotland is very low) My brother and I visited Glenkinchie, near Edinburgh, and because I was driving I got my samples in small bottles. Maybe other distilleries do the same. They also run a shuttle bus from the centre of Edinburgh.

There's several distilleries in or around Dufftown, including Glenfiddich, and a couple of campsites nearby too. I'm not an aficionado of tours, just the whisky - single malts, of course - but not all distilleries do tours, so a little research will be needed.

We visited Islay (pronounced Eye-la) last year, just after the Whisky Festival, (we don't like crowds) and stayed at the community run campsite at Port Charlotte. If you're thinking of going to the Festival, book everything well in advance. We visited a newish distillery nearby, Kilchoman, which grows its own barley, has a nice cafe and shop and produces a very good whisky. There's also a lovely beach just down the road. Sláinte
Thankyou, we’re booked onto a campsite in edinburgh so that could work well?

You are normally good to stop over at Glenfiddich and there are no gates or height barriers on the car park. The smaller distilleries may let you stay if you book a tour and speak to them first.

You can definitely park up for the night at Glenturret Distillery in Crieff - we did it for a St Andrew's night event. Nice and quiet and a good flat area in the coach park. Speyside gardens is a lovely site in Aberlour and you have lots of choice of where you can go. The Mash Tun pub in Aberlour has one of the best selections of whisky I've seen anywhere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back