Scotland distilleries

We toured Scotland 2 years ago, visiting the Isle of Skye in the process,
We came across the Talisker distillery late one afternoon, the visitor centre was closed for the day, but the distillery was operating, so I knocked on the door, actually great big double doors...to ask if it would be OK to overnight in their car park.
The workman inside, was very friendly, and amazed that I'd asked, stating people normally just pulled up and stayed without saying anything....he also told us that if we needed to use the loo, just walk in during the night, as the place operated throughout the night.
The added bonus is that there is a lovely pub about 500 yards away, and the views over the Loch and surrounding hills is spectacularimage.jpeg

The Isle of Arran distillery at the north of the island at Lochranza produces some very drinkable whisky, has a good visitor centre and there is a campsite within a short walk which is almost on the beach. Deer roam the village, a ruined castle sits on a spit going into the loch, very picturesque!

Hello, you can stay at Glen Turret distillery in Crieff - home of the famous Grouse. It is a britstop so you need to either do a tour or like us visit the cafe and eat cake ?. We stayed at the New Year, tucked up behind a giant hedge in the coach park and then moved the van into the main carpark for breakfast as we weren’t sure which bit they preferred us to stay at. Great walks from the car park if you like to stretch your legs.

You can definitely park up for the night at Glenturret Distillery in Crieff - we did it for a St Andrew's night event. Nice and quiet and a good flat area in the coach park. Speyside gardens is a lovely site in Aberlour and you have lots of choice of where you can go. The Mash Tun pub in Aberlour has one of the best selections of whisky I've seen anywhere.
Thanks? yes I have glenturret on my list & hoping to spend a night there, have you tried their tour? I do like Aberlour whiskey? so might have to look into that one too!!lol xxx

The Isle of Arran distillery at the north of the island at Lochranza produces some very drinkable whisky, has a good visitor centre and there is a campsite within a short walk which is almost on the beach. Deer roam the village, a ruined castle sits on a spit going into the loch, very picturesque!
Thanks, that sounds lovely? prob the wrong side for this trip but a definite possible for the future? xxx

You are normally good to stop over at Glenfiddich and there are no gates or height barriers on the car park. The smaller distilleries may let you stay if you book a tour and speak to them first.
Thanks for your thoughts ? xxx

Thanks to all for your help? much appreciated. Part of the fun is in the planning particularly when we only have a couple of weeks off work? & this has given us several ideas xxx

We toured Scotland 2 years ago, visiting the Isle of Skye in the process,
We came across the Talisker distillery late one afternoon, the visitor centre was closed for the day, but the distillery was operating, so I knocked on the door, actually great big double doors...to ask if it would be OK to overnight in their car park.
The workman inside, was very friendly, and amazed that I'd asked, stating people normally just pulled up and stayed without saying anything....he also told us that if we needed to use the loo, just walk in during the night, as the place operated throughout the night.
The added bonus is that there is a lovely pub about 500 yards away, and the views over the Loch and surrounding hills is spectacularView attachment 43127
Sounds delightful? not sure we’ll make it there this time, but definitely one for the ‘next time’ list? xxx

Thanks? yes I have glenturret on my list & hoping to spend a night there, have you tried their tour? I do like Aberlour whiskey? so might have to look into that one too!!lol xxx
We didn’t do the tour, the cake won on the day.

I used to be a tour guide at Glenturret a million years ago...I think the tour is still just as good although my jokes were the best! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the post about Talisker. My very first taste of Single Malt. Lots more since then. I do like a Jura Origins - smooth and honeyed.

Have done the Glenfiddich tour twice. Very good, but there's a fee. Last visit did Glenlivet, excellent tour and tasting which is free. Speyside area. Good shop but not cheap. Is cheaper at the regular bottle store in South Africa, especially at Christmas!

I'll second Arran. Visitor centre is very good and many excellent campsites around the island. They are also opening a new distillery on the south of the island which I think may now be up and running.

I used to be a tour guide at Glenturret a million years ago...I think the tour is still just as good although my jokes were the best! :ROFLMAO:
That’s good to hear, we’re hoping to get to Glenturret? I’m sure your jokes were awesome? x

Hi we have visited most of the distilleries in Scotland and either wild camped in the car parks or near by. The most southerly Scottish distillery is is at Annon, it's just released its 1 st casks of single malt. Also most will give you a miniature if you want to drive after the tour.

Well it's south, but the most southern Scottish distillery is still Bladnoch.

See post No. 2 earlier in this thread.

I'll be passing Annan soonish, and I'll try to remember to pass by. It would be rude not to!

:)

We are going to spend 10 days or so in May on Islay. :) :) :) No prizes for guessing why....LOL
Are you booked in to a campsite, or are you looking after yourself?
I’m asking as I am booked on the ferry for Wednesday 29th May, and back on the Monday. I have not been before, so I am not sure whether to book a campsite or suck it and see. If it was not festival time I would be happy with no campsite, and play it by ear. I am self sufficient, solar and spare cassette, so I could manage. What would you recommend?

The Isle of Islay has eight distilleries. It is a two hour ferry crossing from Kennacraig on the Kintyre peninsula. On Wednesdays and Saturdays you catch a ferry from Islay to Oban via Colonsay. At the end of May there is a Festival of Music and Malt when the distilleries put on special events. There are ceilidhs at night. guided walks etc. It is very popular and books months in advance. There is a campsite at Port Mor with chemical disposal, near Port Charlotte, and you can wild camp with discretion.

Re Islay,there is also small campsite by the fuel pumps in Port Ellen and one in the sand dunes at Kintra, near Port Ellen

Hi thanks for your reply, I was hoping to wild camp, just wandered how busy it gets.?

Hi thanks for your reply, I was hoping to wild camp, just wandered how busy it gets.?
Hi we stayed on Islay, visited the distilleries and got miniatures for the driver. We wild camped all the time with no problems and great places with views.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back