Scotland in October

Nothing wrong with east side either - great beaches.
You could consider the North Coast 500 which goes all the way round the top.
We went in September a couple of years ago and the weather was a bit wild but the scenery is fantastic.
Our van is only a bit smaller than yours but it was no problem finding places to park up.
Don't be put off by the prospect of single track A roads - there's plenty of passing places and there won't be too much traffic in October.
The weather could easily be perfectly respectable and your van has all the creature comforts.
Get up there and have a good tour round - it'll be great!
Apparently midges can't get airborne if wind is more than 11mph - quite likely in October even if it's otherwise warm enough.
Have a super trip.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to hear of your illness and all the medical visits but hopefully a trip up here in October is just what you need. I love this sight too - it is so informative and gives some great advice but you might want to have a look at "searchforsites" This will give you information of areas to park etc. I can recommend Glencaple - a little village outside Dumfries. There is an area for a few camper vans next to a café and opposite a hotel and has public toilets there too. If you go you might be lucky to catch a tidal boar which is fantastic to watch. Have a great journey wherever you go. Oh and "West IS Best".

Hi, I live in Enochdhu which is about 7 miles from Pitlochry, there are quite a few wild camping places on the Moulin moor road between Pitlochry and Enochdhu which would be fine for your van, or you can park in the car park in Kirkmichael. October can be a slightly mixed bag with the weather but as others have said everywhere will be quieter and the midges will have gone. I am also a big fan of the west coast and if you want an adventure get a Island hopper ticket from Calmac (Caledonian MacBrayne ) and take the ferry to Barra from Oban and at your leisure wander thought the islands to Stornoway and get the ferry back to Ullapool. You will see some of the best beaches in the world and you can wild camp responsibly everywhere. Each ferry port has a place to empty loos and grey water and top up the tanks. Some of the campsites might be shut on the main land by then so it will be worth checking with them if you are relying on a night at a site to empty things.
I wrote a little book about 2 west coast trips in 2014 which might give you some ideas it can be found on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campers-Ceilidhs-Occasional-Stephen-Anderson/dp/1528931092/ref=sr

I hope you have fun

Work out how long it will take you get to your "Sottish starting point " and suggest you deduct this from the amount of time you have and plan a leisurely tour. Evenings will be drawing in by then so plan to be parked up accordingly. Loads of spaces to park for the night so you'll have no problems. A lovely time of the year up here.

Best of luck for the future.

We are sorry to hear that they have discovered cancer and hope there is a cure for you. Enjoy your trip to Scotland. Scotland is a big place to discover in 2 weeks. We would suggest take your time, what ever route you take you will discover small villages that you wander around for half a day, before you know it is teatime we have done the popular West Coast on many occasions , for our first time this year we travelled up the east coast via Carter Bar, Peebles, Selkirk, Falkirk, Arbroath coast road Stonehaven, Aberdeen. We then went inland to Drum, Banchory, Balmoral Castle then over the Cairngorms most wild part of Scotland to Aviemore. You really must visit Tomintoul, and Carrbridge, we have recently discovered this side of Scotland, much quieter than the West Coast, the Dee valley is beautiful. As for shopping we use the local Cooperative shop. Compare the quality of food with Aldi and Lidl you realise you get what you pay for. compare any tin Coop are full of beans, tomato etc A&l have loads more liquid, not really value for money, also my son works in the factory in Risca where they make Aldi and M&S ready meals. The contents are very different, even though they come off the same line. You get what you pay for. Whatever you decide to do we hope you enjoy it.

Love you’re motorhome the Adrai is the best looking motorhome around by a mile enjoy you’re trip round Scotland.?

Was wetter than wet last night at Applecross and with wind that would blow a dog inside out!
Dry here on shore of Loch Ness at Dores Inn but guess what... rain forecast for tonight 😩
K ;)

I hope Loch Ness was better, if all else fails the Dores Inn is a pretty good place to while away an hour or two. I hope things soon improve. It is pouring down here (Pitlochry) at the moment. If its any consellation.

It's pot luck with the weather whatever time of year you go.We have been going at Christmas time for the last 20 years with no real problems driving,we keep to the main roads if bad weather is due..Keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared to change coast if needed.Just go and enjoy!

Weather in Scotland varies as we all know. Just now around Peterhead it's been raining, windy & frosty. Take plent if warm clothing. It will take you a few days to get to North East Scotland (Peterhead is the most North easterly point), but touring that coast is lovely.

How is the OP doing? Their trip must be nearly over by now.. would be great to hear how it went.

Just north of Pitlochry there is a place called queens view, basically a cafe and visitors centre with amazing views.F59C37F6-D5E6-441D-99A3-FBCF51B03072.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back