Secondary gas supply?

oppy

Hi folks and New Year greetings for a peaceful and blessed 2019.
During my enforced 'confined to barracks' I've got round to fiddlin' with the 'van, I bought some of that New Zealand stuff to clear the lawn from the roof and am fiddling about inside too. So, my question is----------------because I have a refillable gassit system, is it possible to fit a take off to connect an exchangeable type gas bottle as an emergency backup supply??

Hi reading this thread made me think , If I have one 11 kg gasit bottle. External fill point. Reading the thread, I can get a hose that I can then fit my 15 kg propane bottle to the gas it bottle,,, Does that mean that when I pull in to refill my gasit bottle at petrol station , it will also fill my propane bottle , via the connecting hose. Or does the hose have a one way valve, Not that I have gasit(intend to in near future) but it got the brain working. Can I. Will it. Interesting to see the answers. Thanks in advance. Carrots

Hi following on from previous thread. ,if hoses are interchangeable. ,why not use existing 2 propane15 kg bottles with gas it connections ,saves £300 on two gasit bottles. Now sit back ,cuppa tea ,biscuits on hand ,and await the replys. Got to be a reason why this can't be done. But can't think of one Maybe that's why I end up paying for someone else to do the work,,,then hearing a week later that I paid 3 times the price .and did not need to have this bit or that bit. Thanks to you all. For very interesting threads some way above my understanding but still very interesting.

Gaslow or gasit refillable bottles have a built in safety cut off that only allows you to fill the bottles to 80% calor or ordinary gas bottles can be filled with an adapter but not recommended best left to the professionals and defanetly don’t fit standard bottles to a refillable System and try to fill them you like you’re van and want too keep your head on you’re shoulders I’ve seen a bottle rupture by being filled too much and was lucky that nobody was killed

Is it OK to fit a regulated supply to a external barbeque point .?
You mean to fill the bottle or to feed gas into the system? If to feed gas in you can connect to the external fill point

Hi So if it is dangerous to fill gasit bottle that is connected with correct connections to propane tank , what happens when you go to refill gasit bottle and forget to turn propane bottle to off. Your saying it could explode,,,would off thought that there should be something to safeguard this. Thanks.

I have a refillable Alugas tank and a Calor 6kg propane bottle in my gas locker, i can only fill the Alugas tank from the pump, if I want to use the Calor bottle I have to remove the end of the tail that is connected to the Alugas tank and transfer it to the Calor bottle, there is no connection between the Alugas and Calor bottles so no possibility of inadvertently filling the Calor bottle.

Hi thanks saxonborg. I must of misread/understood. The second and third thread about hoses to connect the gasit and propane bottles together. I am thinking of having gasit with external filler fitted. But seeing prices. I.e. Bristol. £350 2x11kg bottles fill point. Fitted. To £550. Elsewhere. Could not fathom the great difference. One place(on eBay. States £410 fully fitted connected auto change. 80% fill external fill point Anyone know good fitters. In Kent. Sussex. That they can recommend. Thanks in advance

Hi thanks saxonborg. I must of misread/understood. The second and third thread about hoses to connect the gasit and propane bottles together. I am thinking of having gasit with external filler fitted. But seeing prices. I.e. Bristol. £350 2x11kg bottles fill point. Fitted. To £550. Elsewhere. Could not fathom the great difference. One place(on eBay. States £410 fully fitted connected auto change. 80% fill external fill point Anyone know good fitters. In Kent. Sussex. That they can recommend. Thanks in advance
I fitted an Alugas 11kg refillable myself, a bit dearer than steel cylinders but you get some payload back as they are a lot lighter, have a look at Autogas2000 website they get good feedback.

Oppy.....
IF you want a spare 'pigtail' so you can swap a hose from your regulator/changeover valve to a Calor propane shout up....

I took two of them off when I went gaslow....

Yours for the asking chap (I'm keeping one on the van 'just in case') but you're welcome to the other.

If you have a space to fit 2 bottles you could fit one refillable and one standard with a changeover system. That would save on the cost of the second bottle, use the standard as emergency when you've run out on refillable.

As stated in 7, adaptors are available from ebay to refill standard bottles, but they have to be fully empty first and you have to fill to less than 80%. You are not allowed to fill these bottles at petrol stations, or gas depots, (as far as I'm aware), because its not that safe and one simple little mistake could make the bottle, petrol station, gas depot explode. That simple mistake could be releasing the refill gun but not shutting of the bottle first, full pressure gas release until you screw down the tap, (no valves in that bottle), you probably wouldn't get the gun back on as it freezes with just the normal pressure release. Now if you had an LPG Tank at home with the tank/auto fill up system you might do it, but why when you can refill your refillable bottles. Bottle to bottle is another option but again not safe and you wouldn't know how much you have put in, any, to little or to much.

I have thought about it in the past as I had an old Hymer that had German size small bottles. Could only get one small Gaslow in that.

To run services in van if under slung is empty
Yes Baz, you can connect your Calor to the fill point to run everything. I do not know if the bbq points are all the same or if some have non return valves fitted, I think Charlie said I could connect to either fill or bbq points. I had it done so I can use two bottles with manual changeover though so can just connect in gas locker.

Hi So if it is dangerous to fill gasit bottle that is connected with correct connections to propane tank , what happens when you go to refill gasit bottle and forget to turn propane bottle to off. Your saying it could explode,,,would off thought that there should be something to safeguard this. Thanks.
It isn’t dangerous to fill gasit, or any other brand, of refillable bottles as they have the correct valves to limit to 80%.

The problem is refilling other bottles if you don’t know what you are doing.

Reading this I’m not sure what question is being asked.
If it helps, when I bought my van,it came with two 6kg calor bottles. I decided to fit a refillable system early on. When I had an empty and a full bottle,to spread the cost I was going to replace the empty 6kg with a refillable 6kg. Charlie had a measure around , and said I had room to fit an 11kg bottle,more than enough for my useage. The way my system is now is one refillable 11kg, one 6kg calor linked via a T piece. I only open the bottle I wish to use. TBH I’m only going to use the 6kg in an emergency.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back