Secondary gas supply?

Reading this I’m not sure what question is being asked.
If it helps, when I bought my van,it came with two 6kg calor bottles. I decided to fit a refillable system early on. When I had an empty and a full bottle,to spread the cost I was going to replace the empty 6kg with a refillable 6kg. Charlie had a measure around , and said I had room to fit an 11kg bottle,more than enough for my useage. The way my system is now is one refillable 11kg, one 6kg calor linked via a T piece. I only open the bottle I wish to use. TBH I’m only going to use the 6kg in an emergency.
Almost the same as me Del except I have Gaslow 11kg and manual changeover instead of the tee. Same idea really and easy enough to fit second refillable later if we want to

It isn’t dangerous to fill gasit, or any other brand, of refillable bottles as they have the correct valves to limit to 80%.

The problem is refilling other bottles if you don’t know what you are doing.
Refillable bottles or tank fill through the fill port/pipe & take off is through a totally separate port/pipe. There is a none return valve on the fill side, in the bottle or fill pipe assy. There is a separate turn off tap on the output side. With a calor type bottle there is only one port and no none return valve, which is why you have to shut the tap on the calor type bottle, (if your filling one of those), or you get the full pressure gas release when you release lock on the fill gun. Gaslow and Gasit both stop the filling at 80% full, this is to leave some air in the bottle that can be compressed, if the bottle is 100% full of liquid gas there in no safety compression area, that is needed to accommodate changes in temperature, air pressure, filling at altitude then driving down to the sea, the pressure inside the tank increases, if it's got air inside the bottle the air is compressed, the gas is already compressed, (it is in liquid form in the bottle under high pressure), you can only compress it so much, and its trying to break out of that bottle all the time, you don't want it to, because as someone else said he has seen the bottles blow. Basically it's a mini bomb waiting to go off, it's safe to use if you follow all the rules. You should always shut bottles when refilling with LPG, another safety point, reopen once refilled. I have seen the effects of an aerosol explode in a fire, multiply that by 1000, and you will be near to what your calor bottle will be like.

Last edited:
As chas142 says the refillables have seperate pipes for filling, if I recall correctly my 2 11Kg bottles have 4 fittings, filler, take off with a tap, gauge and safety valve as both bottles have taps I run 1 til empty then switch and have a week ish in winter, forever in summer to fill the empty bottle.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the savings made by using refillable gas bottles i have paid as little as 50p a litre and a lot of northern Asda,s sell gas at 52p a litre, one forecourt on the NC500 has their gas marked up at 1.21p a litre, not tried it but it must be good at that price, 5 star gas indeed.
As 2 litres equal 1Kg I am told, and a lightweight 6Kg calor costing in excess of £20, no idea what now, been on LPG for 4 years+ I personally feel that the extra gas carried along with the savings made is a nobrainer for us as we use the van all year and 99% WC, only site last year was banham meet, and this year will be Valley meet.

As chas142 says the refillables have seperate pipes for filling, if I recall correctly my 2 11Kg bottles have 4 fittings, filler, take off with a tap, gauge and safety valve as both bottles have taps I run 1 til empty then switch and have a week ish in winter, forever in summer to fill the empty bottle.
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the savings made by using refillable gas bottles i have paid as little as 50p a litre and a lot of northern Asda,s sell gas at 52p a litre, one forecourt on the NC500 has their gas marked up at 1.21p a litre, not tried it but it must be good at that price, 5 star gas indeed.
As 2 litres equal 1Kg I am told, and a lightweight 6Kg calor costing in excess of £20, no idea what now, been on LPG for 4 years+ I personally feel that the extra gas carried along with the savings made is a nobrainer for us as we use the van all year and 99% WC, only site last year was banham meet, and this year will be Valley meet.

If I ever get up to the NC500 I will fill up before I get there if it's £1.21. ;) I use https://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php to find LPG, you can put it on your Sat Nav, Phone, can also check it out on-line, gives locations & prices, can't find the £1.21 but it might not be listed.

Hi So if it is dangerous to fill gasit bottle that is connected with correct connections to propane tank , what happens when you go to refill gasit bottle and forget to turn propane bottle to off. Your saying it could explode,,,would off thought that there should be something to safeguard this. Thanks.
The thing to bear in mind is the pressure. The pressure in a tank or bottle is the vapour pressure of the LPG, which will vary with temperature. In UK temperatures it will normally be between 2.5bar and 20bar (36psi to 290psi)
The pressure in the pipes after the regulator(s) will be around 30 millibar (0.4psi)
So assuming that the valves connecting the bottle or the tank supply are in the low pressure section, there is no way one tank could fill the other.
If the switch is on the high pressure side, before the regulator, I think I'd get the pipework altered so that it isn't!

The thing to bear in mind is the pressure. The pressure in a tank or bottle is the vapour pressure of the LPG, which will vary with temperature. In UK temperatures it will normally be between 2.5bar and 20bar (36psi to 290psi)
The pressure in the pipes after the regulator(s) will be around 30 millibar (0.4psi)
So assuming that the valves connecting the bottle or the tank supply are in the low pressure section, there is no way one tank could fill the other.
If the switch is on the high pressure side, before the regulator, I think I'd get the pipework altered so that it isn't!

After reading the post again I don't think Carrots has got his refillable system, he is just thinking that if he had it, it would allow him to fill his standard Calor cylinder. As he hasn't got it and hasn't connected it to a fill point yet and listened to that cylinder creak and groan as you pressurise it he assumes its just like putting diesel in the tank, stick the pipe in and pull the trigger, easy & safe, whereas its easy and safe if you know what you are doing and your confidence grows as you get used to it, but when you get a large gas release, which can happen, or the gun has frozen on, the pump wont pump, these are all things until you experience it and understand why, these will knock your confidence.

I think Carrots should have a look at some others peoples set up, ask them questions and try to meet up with someone who will show him how to refill the Gaslow or Gasit systems. I have 1 x 11kg R67, 1 x older 6kg, there both Gaslow's, I have 1 set up with the standard filling system and one filling system is on the bottle, its the portable type BBQ cylinder . I want to swop over the filling system as they are the wrong way round for me at the moment, I cant do this till both bottles are empty, if I swap over the filling system I will get a high pressure gas release, (I think). I intend to fit a second R67 and have the 2 bigger bottles filling through the standard twin cylinder skirt fitting. I have a manual change over control fitted by the bottles, I don't consider a T piece to be safe, all to easy to start disconnecting one bottle and start releasing the gas from the other at low pressure to atmosphere, you might also remove the calor and refill the Gaslow/Gasit, gas leak. They also sell a hose blanking fitting which should be fitted if you are not just swapping over the empty bottle. Am I being over cautious?

Carrots please don't consider filling your calor bottles, please read the earlier posts.:sleep:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back