Setting up a Battery Monitor - Peukert's Law?

I have thought about buying a Hybrid car, I think that electric cars are getting better but not enough is being done about recharging points. I live in a Housing association flat, my parking spaces are in a communal area, so no chance of getting a charging point in here. Where I worked in a large main line railway station, I suggested, (when they asked for suggestions about how to improve the customer experience), fitting charging points for electric vehicles and as they ended up gaining a much bigger than intended multi story car park than was originally planned, (couldn't fit in as many spaces in next main station down the line), that they mark out some larger bays in the other car park sections for MH and vans. They wouldn't do any of it, so at the moment sticking with my diesel at 60mpg.

Difficult decision as to whos batteries and what type to get, but as you said price comes into it.
I can't see a railway station as a good place for a EV charging places as people leave their vehicles for hours and hours - I bet you would get the same cars parked at the points every day of week as they drive up to commute to work. so the general users would not get any benefit, just a few regualr early bird parkers.

I went to the new IKEA in Reading last year and ALL the public spaces were under a height barrier! not great for a place people take vans to carry stuff away. I ended up parking in the Bus bay right in front of the store (with permission, I will add).

60MPG is decent economy - I bet the cost of ownership of your car is a lot less than an EV. I switched from Diesel to Petrol around 18 months ago when I changed my car and don't regret it at all. I would got Petrol-Electric if the costs stacked up, but right now no chance (and all Electric in an sensibly affordable format doesn't exist - I am looking to save my wallet more than the planet!)

I can't see a railway station as a good place for a EV charging places as people leave their vehicles for hours and hours - I bet you would get the same cars parked at the points every day of week as they drive up to commute to work. so the general users would not get any benefit, just a few regualr early bird parkers.

I went to the new IKEA in Reading last year and ALL the public spaces were under a height barrier! not great for a place people take vans to carry stuff away. I ended up parking in the Bus bay right in front of the store (with permission, I will add).

60MPG is decent economy - I bet the cost of ownership of your car is a lot less than an EV. I switched from Diesel to Petrol around 18 months ago when I changed my car and don't regret it at all. I would got Petrol-Electric if the costs stacked up, but right now no chance (and all Electric in an sensibly affordable format doesn't exist - I am looking to save my wallet more than the planet!)

Oh I think that is a bit of a negative thought, I do see your point with early bird parkers, but as the station has had to open up to none train travelers, (for car park day & season tickets through Ringo), I don't think it would have been that bad a place to fit EV charging points, with a total new car park on 3 levels they could fit 1 point for 4 cars or even 8 cars at low power perhaps even more in a long row, just for all electric or plug in's. You could even use the empty top floor. One of the long sides of the car park faced south, so could have had solar panels fitted, trying to save the world again. I don't think it will be saved though, to little will be done to late. But no matter, they wouldn't do it and the council moan about the emission levels but they don't to much re EV points and sell off one of their car parks for a Supermarket. More local office and shop workers parking at the station.

60 MPG is very good and the cost of running it is cheap, your correct in the rest of what you say, I think diesels can be cleaned up, perhaps by HHO or similar and that's not that expensive to do. I see Hybrid being the way to go as the infrastructure is never going to be in place for full electric, and the cost is something people wont be able to afford.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back