'Sevel' Vans - what are the differences

Which would be your choice of the following Base Vehicles for a Motorhome/Campervan

• Fiat Ducato

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Citroen Relay

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Peugeot Boxer

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

wildebus

We all know the 'Sevel' Van is probably the most popular base for a Motorhome, but what are the differences between them and which would/did you choose - and why?

I think the Fiat Ducato seems to be the most popular - Is that because Fiat give the best deal to Motorhome Companies? Or is there another reason (Engine and/or Transmission Options maybe?).
I would expect behind the cab area, they are all identical, but of the three brands, is there any real difference in the cabin area (nicer trim on one of them? extra features on one not available on others? anything else?)
I always think of the Peugeot Boxer as the classier option, the Ducato is the middle one and the Citroen Relay as the 'Entry' level. But I don't know if that is the case or not!

Interested to know all thoughts, be it about driving them, cab ambience, service costs, reliability, whatever. (y)

I thought the engines were common as well.
Apparently it pays to shop around for proprietary spares when you've got a part number to cross reference.

I have a vague idea that if you want an auto, you need to have a Ducato, but that is all I am aware of in terms of "must haves" pushing you to a specific make.

We had a 2013 Peugeot based van. As far as I could see, looking at the Fiat alternative of the same year, there was no difference between the two exteriors and interiors, except, of course for the badges.
The engines though, were totally different. Our Peugeot had a Ford 2.2 Duratorq engine and the Fiats had ( probably) Fiat engines.
No idea about the Citroen based vehicles though, but I would assume they had Citroen engines in them.

I would be interested to know if I could "update" my X250 front end, lights bonnet grill bumper and wings to an X290 which I think looks much nicer. The two look identical from then on to the rear?
For your comparison I think the Fiat looks better than the French models. Just my opinion of course ;)
Oh and I have the multijet160 3lit engine :)
K

I would be interested to know if I could "update" my X250 front end, lights bonnet grill bumper and wings to an X290 which I think looks much nicer. The two look identical from then on to the rear?
For your comparison I think the Fiat looks better than the French models. Just my opinion of course ;)
Oh and I have the multijet160 3lit engine :)
K
so the X290 is the current facelift model from around 2014 onwards and the X250 is the previous one? I have seen references to X250 but didn't know what it referred to. The Updated front does look nicer to me as well :)
I don't know for sure but I would think it would be a fairly simple (but not cheap) swapover. (a similar change is often carried out on the VW Transporters changing from the 2003-10 T5 model from to the 2010-2015 T5.1)

There is another face lift imminent
interesting. That should cause the current look models to drop in value a touch as they will no longer look, well .... current :)

I have had a few Sevel's, the Fiat and the Peugeot, but not Citroen. I did like them, but now I have an Iveco which I much prefer. The Sevel's I had were with my husband Robert, and we always got them serviced abroad, usually in Belgium, as they did not mind Robert staying in the van, and because of the steering position, they preferred me to drive it on to the ramp. The Peugeot main dealer in Brugge were particular favourites, although I did surprise them when I cleaned their kitchen and made coffee for everyone, and the mechanics were brilliant.

When it comes to new construction, you can pretty much guaranty that most Coach-Builds and A Class are on Fiat, as they build their chassis as cab only (no rear chassis for ALKO attachment) and produce the dedicated Motorcaravan chassis in greater numbers. You'll then see more PVC conversions on the likes of Peugeot and Citroen, as their "Van" production is again in greater volume.
Trim finishes however vary so much, for example a Euro built Coach/A Class as sometimes better options than a UK built (Leather steering wheels, climate control, DAB etc). However if you hear the lads in the workshop talk, there really isn't much between them in quality and you can tell which of them has been sat dock-side for the longest.

Alfa version looks, errrmm, interesting, lets say. Not sure if it exists in the current range though.
H van body kit looks good though. :)View attachment 48272View attachment 48273
I think I've seen the Citroen kit at the NEC show? Different and looks pretty cool. The Alfa one? Well, just different!

Of the "normal" offerings, I like the Peugeot front the best I think. Though having two Citroens fairly recently (a DS4 and a DS5), I am not adverse to seeing a pair of chevrons either.

Our pvc is based on a 2014 relay so has the facelift front which we think is nice especially with the crome insert it's a swb with the 2.2 engine rated at 110 bhp was told it's the ford engine drives great and has plenty of goodies such as rear parking sensors and touch screen stereo don't regret buying it

I have the Citroen version and I am very impressed with the overall package, drives like a car with all the 'car type' accessories, satnav,cruise,aircon etc.. and computer I cann't really get into but best of all up to 36mpg. Lots of power, long service intervals and quiet to drive and Euro6 compliant. Others will say peugeot and fiat are up there too, previously had fiats 2.8 and 2.5 which were very good too. I went for citroen as it was the only offer from Wildax but would have happily gone with the other 2.

I have the Citroen version and I am very impressed with the overall package, drives like a car with all the 'car type' accessories, satnav,cruise,aircon etc.. and computer I cann't really get into but best of all up to 36mpg. Lots of power, long service intervals and quiet to drive and Euro6 compliant. Others will say peugeot and fiat are up there too, previously had fiats 2.8 and 2.5 which were very good too. I went for citroen as it was the only offer from Wildax but would have happily gone with the other 2.
I get the feeling that it is pretty much of a muchness. Maybe Dealer proximity for servicing/Warranty work could be a key if buying new AND having a choice? Nearest Citroen Dealer to me is 3.5 miles; Nearest Peugeot maybe 20? Fiat - no idea! Possibly 50?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back