Sleeping bags or duvets

The laird

Rally Organiser

AGAIN FOR FUTURE LONG TERM AWAY
WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD DUVE
TS IN THE VAN BUT WILL BE GOUNG AWAY NEXT YEAR FOR MONTHE AT A TIME ALL BEING SAFE AND WELL BUT JUST WONDERED IS A DUVET OR SLEEPING BAG BEST ?

Last edited:
Duvvitts, the way to go !! Easy to air, easy to sort out on the bed too, works for us anyway

Duvet.... Ideally one size bigger than the mattress size....

Sleeping bags are just plain wrong....
Last time I slept in one I woke up next morning thinking I'd had a stroke as rolled over in night and feet twisted in end of it.

We carry two duvets each - single beds - one for when it's cold and a lighter one for when it's warm. Even in winter we find it can be too hot sometimes and a lighter one means a more comfortable sleep - and that's without any heating on. And if it's 40 below then both duvets.

We use king size duvet. We take a set that comprises 2 duvets - a thin and medium tog one. Used together in 1 cover they make a heavy winter one. In that way we can vary the thickness with the weather. Obviously take a change or two of the covers. Airing the duvet for a couple of hours every two days - as many do in houses on the continent - really make duvet very fresh for beddi-bies time. Just read post #10 - must have been writing at same as this post - very much same idea.

Wully see how much them suits are Ouch
FWIW, that £200 or so is probably about on par with Duvalays! FWIW, we bought "Freshtec" Duvalays years ago -- IIRC they were about £140 each with 40mm Freshtec foam and carry bags. The same thing now is about £180 for what we have (microfibre filling, 10.5 tog, 66cm wide and 4cm foam -- dunno if that includes the bags) but 77 cm wide and 5cm foam is an eyewatering £260.95. Duvalays work well for us. However, when it comes time to replace them, we'll probably go for a memory foam topper (we don't have a permanent bed) and two duvets (one summer, one winter, with the season dictating which we lie on and which forms a cover).

In our PVC we use the single beds option when away. It's an age thing as neither of us like clambering over the other for a night time visit.

Yvonne prefers a duvet with an additional throw for her feet, but I prefer a sleeping bag. Her choice is more like our bed at home, whilst my choice takes up much less space

With a PVC it's dead easy to open the rear doors and shake out either each morning. That's another of my jobs.

So it's horses for courses.

We use duvets, summer and winter according to the time of year. Our van is quite small so it works out well as the smaller summer duvet is accompanied by the larger chairs for regular use in the overcab storage and the larger winter duvet is accompanied by the smaller and less used chairs.

We use king size duvet. We take a set that comprises 2 duvets - a thin and medium tog one. Used together in 1 cover they make a heavy winter one. In that way we can vary the thickness with the weather. Obviously take a change or two of the covers. Airing the duvet for a couple of hours every two days - as many do in houses on the continent - really make duvet very fresh for beddi-bies time. Just read post #10 - must have been writing at same as this post - very much same idea.
I have these in the van and at home great duvets. 👍

Yep summer and winter king size duvets here too. In fact I just swapped our summer one to the winter one ready for next week's trip. I think our summer is 7.5tog and winter 10.5tog.

If in any doubt watch this :)

when we had to make up the bed in our first van used to carry two duvets slept on top of one with the other as a cover depending on seasons could also use as separate single bedding if early start reqd now only carry mid weight duvet because van is winterised

Down sleeping bags are good but only if you are a sound sleeper and don’t toss and turn. Our choice is a king size down duvet in a double sized duvet cover for all the cooler months and synthetic lower Tog equivalent for the warmer months. We have also been trying fleecy pillowcases so it always feels warm when returning to bed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back