snow chains

Yup .... but are you willing to argue the toss with the Gendarme who is doing the checking?
Dirty Harry springs to mind! Tee Hee!
Jeremy

Ref Chains/ Snow Socks
There is a useful map here from the French Government showing where Snow Chains/Socks are required by law between November 1st & March 31st.
It's worth noting the a huge area of the Massif Central, around, and south of, Clermont Ferrand, is included. So if you are considering the A75 route through Millau down to Spain you will need them.

yes back in 2009 on the A75 the gendarme pulled everyone off the m/way as you couldn't get up the hill for snow stuck for 2 days the place was chock a block .cheyenne

Screenshot 2023-12-11 125245.png

Good to know there is a little leeway until next year.We always go South via the A75 and we only have MS tyres.
I am counting on this major route being kept open.
But I I suppose you could be stopped for actually not having the equipment, even if it wasn't needed.

I bought some cheapo Bluecol Snow Socks for our January trip down on the A75 in Jan 2023 for £6.99 from Ebay simply so that I could show the Gendarmes that I had them. We had bright sun and temps in the teens all the way down. We returned in February via Burgos & Bayonne ...once again in the sun, so they were never used.
Jeremy

We almost always come back that way from Spain in early January and have never seen a flake!

I carry snow socks just in case. As you mention they are available to show les flics if required.

I have just upgraded my 9mm Snow chains to heavy duty 16mm. My van weighs in at 3.85t so probably too heavy for 9mm chains. I also carry snow socks and the cable tie grips (2 pairs for the rear undriven wheels only) I also have M+S tyres all round and on the 125cc scooter I carry on the back. Also 10t Heavy Duty recovery Tracks, a folding spade, a snow shovel and a 4T Exhaust Jack/Lifting Air Bag. Been stuck a couple of times over the years but paranoid or not, I'm not getting stuck again if I can help it. We are spending winter months, Christmas and New Year touring Germany, Austria, etc.

Last edited:
We almost always come back that way from Spain in early January and have never seen a flake!

I carry snow socks just in case. As you mention they are available to show les flics if required.
we have many times going & coming back its the luck of the draw. cheyenne

SDC11810.JPGSDC10718.JPG

Actually re-reading my posting I meant to say we come back early March...not early January. My bad! We go out via the western side of the Pyrenees and have seen snow on the sides of the road in Spain in January but never in France.

if you get stuck in snow these are what you need heavy duty 16mm when you have just 1 drive wheel asking it to pull a 3.500/6000GK up a hill the other wound not pull a greasy man out of bed . these we have are a pain to put on especially in deep snow ( never had to ) but if you dont want to get stuck this is what we have to do .cheyenne

Actually re-reading my posting I meant to say we come back early March...not early January. My bad! We go out via the western side of the Pyrenees and have seen snow on the sides of the road in Spain in January but never in France.
Perpignan crossing today for us, Graham. Works better for us, more gradual climbs and descents and a pootle round the corner to Barcelona and it's environs. Aiming for Le Boulou tonight, then Spain tomorrow 👍

Steve

I was waiting for you to post as I think you said you were leaving on the 7th?

How's it been going thus far Steve? Do you have any final destinations in mind?

I was waiting for you to post as I think you said you were leaving on the 7th?

How's it been going thus far Steve? Do you have any final destinations in mind?
Hi Graham, Vilafranca del Pinedes again for this trip. We have to return within 60 days thanks to Aviva Insurance tightened T&C's, so a long drive back and then out again for another 60 days, possibly aiming for Cordoba, Seville and other large cities. No plans yet, just incomplete outlines!

We have found that the awful weather/Aviva nonsense makes it feasible to drive for longer each day to get south quicker and maximise the 'time at resort' days, rather than pootling at our sweet pace!

Steve

Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back