snow chains

The period of grace for using the wrong tyres in parts of France is over! The requirement is now for winter tyres. M&S3peakMountainSnowflake tyres are no longer acceptable, with potential fine of €130, though this winter you might just be warned by the friendly gendarmes.

View attachment 74159
Please can you post a link to an authoritative source stating that 3PMSF is not permitted.

SORRY! I got the info from The Connexion website early yesterday. Thought I'd better check it this morning and saw it had been "updated", meaning the first version was a cock-up. It's the all-season M&S that are no longer allowed. 3peaks and snowflake are fine!

SORRY! I got the info from The Connexion website early yesterday. Thought I'd better check it this morning and saw it had been "updated", meaning the first version was a cock-up. It's the all-season M&S that are no longer allowed. 3peaks and snowflake are fine!
Thank fekk for that . Setting off soonish with my , almost , new 3 peaks

So until you have to make a decision on changing your tyres when they need changing, then the cheapest/simplest solution to start with would be to get a pair of snow socks. Chains would probably be better however they are bigger and heavier which may cause payload problems for some folks.

I carry socks and haven't had to use them yet travelling down to Spain through France in January and back again in March, which we have done for a number of years now.

From Autosock…
Here is the update for the new winter season 2022-2023:

Europe​

AutoSock is the first product worldwide to be certified according to the European standard EN16662-1. Following EU procedures, the standard has been implemented as national standard in all EU member states, as well as in Norway, Switzerland, Serbia and Turkey. AutoSock for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles below 3,5 t gross weight can now be used whenever snow chains are mandatory in any country of the EU (except Austria).

Special case in Austria: AutoSock does not meet snow chain requirements in Austria according to a written reply from the Austrian Ministry of Climate Action and Energy. AutoSock for passenger cars is an accepted traction device, but must not be used in case snow chains are mandatory. AutoSock does not accept the decision of the Austrian ministry.

In Switzerland, AutoSock for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles is separately approved on national level and a legal alternative to snow chains.

In France, the new “Mountain Law” (“Loi Montagne”) regulates that winter equipment must be carried on special road sections in mountainous areas between November 1st and March 31st. AutoSock for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles fully complies with this new regulation and can legally be used instead of snow chains or winter tires when entering any of these areas.

Back