So now you know

• Thread starter Deleted member 2520
  • Start date

Deleted member 2520

This appeared in todays Daily Mail and it explains why some people are coming back from Europe and sometimes months later receiving fines re traffic offences.

How does anyone here know if fines are issued to foreign drivers by the UK? Answer: They don't. And if the information they base their 'knowledge' from is from the Daily Mail, Express or Sun, well, say no more.

According to that article (and it is the Daily Mail, so who knows if this is right of course) it says:
"Mutual Legal Assistance allows authorities to co-operate to track motorists who commit offences overseas"
Think the key word there is "Mutual"?

It's my understanding that as our legal system requires tickets to be served on the driver rather than registered keeper our boys in blue effectively can't fine many foreigners.
Whereas in France the offence goes on the registered keeper - and will be stored against the vehicle if unpaid.

See explanation on RAC website

This appeared in todays Daily Mail and it explains why some people are coming back from Europe and sometimes months later receiving fines re traffic offences.

A friend of mine has got back after 4 weeks in France to find two speeding fines waiting for him. Both were on motorways.

When I got a parking fine - it was sent to Ron as registered keeper (he was not happy)
any tickets - speeding or otherwise are always sent to the registered keeper and it is up to the keeper to either confirm they are responsible or provide the name of the driver to pass it on to.
Always been that way.

If someone uses the Autoroutes and gets one or more speeding fines and going down to Spain or Portugal, it might be cost effective to get the longer sea route
I know it is a wild and insane idea, but I thought I would just throw this mad suggestion out there ..... What about keeping to the speed limit?

Yeah, daft idea I know and it would also stop people whinging about how unfairly Brits are treated abroad and we can't have that either can we?

Well, it is just one of the various reasons I dislike France and use the French Roads purely as a mechanism to get to other Countries.
Ref the rogue Gendarme ... I bet he pulled the same trick on lots of truck drivers and not just selecting British ones

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back