Solar in winter months?

Now I cant say if this is right or not but I asked a mechanic about running the engine while static to charge via B2B and was advised against it even though I don’t have a DPF in my van.
I was advised the engine should be kept above 1200rpm if I did do it. That meant sitting in drivers seat watching rev counter. I had to do this when i got snowed in for 8 days winter 2018/19. I ran for one hour morning one hour evening. When snow cleared enough to move I drove out with huge clouds of blue smoke. Took about ten miles to clear up. Regardless of engine I can’t see that being too good for the cat that is fitted.
Shortly after that experience I bought my genny

Such negative thoughts
You know it’s not an option for me or I would have tried it lol. I am still thinking of getting a lose panel this year for the winter, (or a folding one) but it’s ever more to carry. Ultimately harvesting is dependent on sun and too many days I seem to not get any over the 5/6 month period when sun is lower and weaker.

I guess I need to work out some actual figures of realistic normal demand vs potential winter solar supply of maybe just 10%?
Yes you need to find out what you actually use really. Try with anything you do to make it so you can add on rather than having to discard and buy new. I should have bought a bigger solar controller had I known better. I started with a 150W panel then added a second.
Full timing is different to using the van for trips and holidays, you are continually drawing juice without benefit of full charge most of the time unless you have EHU or constantly moving. I should have fitted a decent battery monitor much earlier but I didn’t think I needed one. Ended up killing 3 x 90ah Bosch PowerFrame battery’s in a bit over a year.

Now I cant say if this is right or not
I can't say if it is right or not, but traffic holdups frequently stop cars for more than half an hour.
Ice cream vans idle all day. In fact, my alternator is one specifically designed for an ice cream van!

Fridge is on LPG, heating is Trumatic 6002 so just fan.
So about 20 to 30Ah per day in winter, if the heating is on all the time. That's 300 watt hours, or maybe a bit more. To keep that supplied with panels flat on your roof, you need 400 to 600 watts of panels.
My b2b charger charges at about 30A to 40A with the engine idling (or when driving), so 300 watt hours would take less than an hour.
If you want more power in winter, add a b2b charger.
If you want more power in spring and autumn, fit more panels.
If you want more power in summer, park in full sun.

You know it’s not an option for me or I would have tried it lol. I am still thinking of getting a lose panel this year for the winter, (or a folding one) but it’s ever more to carry. Ultimately harvesting is dependent on sun and too many days I seem to not get any over the 5/6 month period when sun is lower and weaker.
Nabs my panel are now remote controlled so no need for you to get on the roof so it is possible for you to do the same mate .

Now I cant say if this is right or not but I asked a mechanic about running the engine while static to charge via B2B and was advised against it even though I don’t have a DPF in my van.
I was advised the engine should be kept above 1200rpm if I did do it. That meant sitting in drivers seat watching rev counter. I had to do this when i got snowed in for 8 days winter 2018/19. I ran for one hour morning one hour evening. When snow cleared enough to move I drove out with huge clouds of blue smoke. Took about ten miles to clear up. Regardless of engine I can’t see that being too good for the cat that is fitted.
Shortly after that experience I bought my genny
In my criminal youth, ironically I used to remanufacture police car engines. Generally the valve train was shot and the rest of the engine other wise in good condition. When I enquired as to why this happened, I was told it was all the hours they spend idling waiting to catch you speeding!!
Then later in another job where I made parts for racing engines, they would not let the new engines run below 3000 rpm for fear of damaging the camshaft.

In my criminal youth, ironically I used to remanufacture police car engines. Generally the valve train was shot

Then later in another job where I made parts for racing engines, they would not let the new engines run below 3000 rpm for fear of damaging the camshaft.
Modern engines don't have valve trains, though.
New bearings do need to be run in at higher speeds.
Neither of these makes it a bad idea to idle an OHC engine for up to an hour.

Ive seen loads panels on bike racks especially on campers in spain portugal.some on hooks hanging of rear doors on pv .

Modern engines don't have valve trains, though.
All four stroke engines have a valve train! Just that many use a direct tappet so the valve train is shorter. To my limited knowledge, I don't know if any one is using solenoid controlled valves yet. Still a valve train.

A belt turning a cam is not a train in my book. And it won't wear through idling unless there are oil pressure issues.

Here is an idea for you ....

updated!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back