Solar in winter months?

I asked you what you think "train" means. You replied by posting a link on Wikipedia. Does that mean you don't know what train means, or did you just fail to understand my question?

I can't say if it is right or not, but traffic holdups frequently stop cars for more than half an hour.
Ice cream vans idle all day. In fact, my alternator is one specifically designed for an ice cream van!
And thats why there engines burn oil as the bores glass,best not to idle a engine for long as they are ment to work hard,city vans/cars die early.

I asked you what you think "train" means. You replied by posting a link on Wikipedia. Does that mean you don't know what train means, or did you just fail to understand my question?

I completely understand your question, which, if you remember, was actually related to a VALVE train.

That's what I posted an explanation to. I can also summarise with context if you'd like.

Crank shaft, connected via a communication of power to another shaft to followers that push down valves. (Belt, OHC, valves)

OR

Crank shaft, connected via a communication of power to another shaft to followers that push down valves. (Chain to cam, push rod to followers, (or rockers), then valves. )

Please help me understand the difference....

I completely understand your question, which, if you remember, was actually related to a VALVE train.

That's what I posted an explanation to. I can also summarise with context if you'd like.

Crank shaft, connected via a communication of power to another shaft to followers that push down valves. (Belt, OHC, valves)

OR

Crank shaft, connected via a communication of power to another shaft to followers that push down valves. (Chain to cam, push rod to followers, (or rockers), then valves. )

Please help me understand the difference....
Sometimes Steve, it’s better to just let some people waffle on. There’s a keyboard warrior somewhere on the forum. Who? That’s anyone’s guess. I’ve given up replying to some posts on here. Maybe this is one of those opportunities to do the same.lol

Sometimes Steve, it’s better to just let some people waffle on. There’s a keyboard warrior somewhere on the forum. Who? That’s anyone’s guess. I’ve given up replying to some posts on here. Maybe this is one of those opportunities to do the same.lol

Meh, you're right of course, but I don't mind a couple of minutes trying 🤔

Now I cant say if this is right or not but I asked a mechanic about running the engine while static to charge via B2B and was advised against it even though I don’t have a DPF in my van.
I was advised the engine should be kept above 1200rpm if I did do it. That meant sitting in drivers seat watching rev counter. I had to do this when i got snowed in for 8 days winter 2018/19. I ran for one hour morning one hour evening. When snow cleared enough to move I drove out with huge clouds of blue smoke. Took about ten miles to clear up. Regardless of engine I can’t see that being too good for the cat that is fitted.
Shortly after that experience I bought my genny
I was advised that running a diesel engine on tick over glazes the bores and they do not like running without load ,that's years before they fitted all the crap .

Last edited:
Well .... a generator is a lot cheaper to buy (and run) than a NEW van engine ....

Pays your money, takes your choice.

Edited to make it obvious to the pedantic ...

Last edited:
i like it Del god i hope he dosnt start coming to meets FFS lololol

Last edited:
Well .... a generator is a lot cheaper to buy (and run) than a van engine ....
Not cheaper to buy if you already have the van engine.
Not sure it's cheaper to run either. Certainly not a petrol gennie against a diesel engine.
My generator runs on LPG, and is fairly cheap to run. But I suspect that it cost a great deal of money in the first place.

No, my question was not about a valve train. It was about the word 'Train'. Clearly you didn't understand what I was asking.

No, my question was not about a valve train. It was about the word 'Train'. Clearly you didn't understand what I was asking.

Ah, ok. While we're asking completely random questions, that sound like they're linked to a discussion but aren't (apparently lol) What is the best flavour ice cream?

That's the essential question. How long does a Mr Whippy engine last, with it idling all day, every day?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back