Soup maker

Alf;n9306 said:
I used to like Mock Turtle soup as a youth but they are hard to find up here now. Any sightings please PM.

Alf

Where to look Alf?
Do we check riverbanks or in undergrowth?:paw_emoji_icon_png:

Just experiment, makes it more fun, mushroom soup is nice, I put potatoes in to make it creamier/smoother, and I tend to use cream cheese rather than cream (added after cooking) or natural yogurt is good too. My soup maker was definitely one of our better buys, I wouldn't be without it.

We make soup a lot, but never follow a recipe as it tends to be anything veggie looking like it's slightly going past its best, with handfuls of various dry stuff - lentils, split peas, pearl barley - from the cupboard thrown in as we fancy, and sometimes some meaty stuff added too. We always have bacon in the freezer (single wrapped so we can get it apart) and that chops up and goes in frozen.

Sometimes we whizz and blend, sometimes not.

Sometimes we add cream or yoghurt.

thought it was only me that made so much soup,in the van carry dried lentils ,beans, barley etc, and we shop at local markets, so if cauliflowers cheap, that is the soup of the day, including cauliflower with pasta,, curry or any thing else i can think of, and if we are going to the market tomarrow,its everything that is left that looks a bit soft, with a bit of dried sauage or bacon. at home we eat a lot more meat, well bernard does, but in the van its huge amounts of veg and salad.

mags

Simplest best ever soup for omnivores. One ham hock. One pan water to cover. One large onion. One or two large carrots. Half pound of red lentils. Plenty of white pepper. Put all into pan, bring to boil and simmer for as long as you want but at least until the meat falls from the bone. Separate skin and fat and discard. Leave bone in soup. Even better when re-heated next day-if theres any left! (Not)

The Mock Turtle ponds but they got filled in when they built the M1.

Alf

yorkslass;n9308 said:
Where to look Alf?
Do we check riverbanks or in undergrowth?:paw_emoji_icon_png:

Alf;n9306 said:
I used to like Mock Turtle soup as a youth but they are hard to find up here now. Any sightings please PM.

Alf

I've not had that since compo rations in the army cadets Alf.

Received Soup maker for xmas - not a good experience and too much faffing about Rather use a saucepan at least it can go in dishwasher and make a decent amount of soup for another day

My wife tried to tell me to just take it back but I thought I should try it maybe we could be proved wrong and I thought it could be handy in the camper as i grow some of my own veg

I tried a recipe from the machines cook book but didnt like it so tried another using a standard recipe frying onions and garlic in frying pan,roasting pumpkin and squash in oven then putting it soup maker but it only makes 1.2 litres and the difference between min and max is tiny and that seems to remove the advantage of just chucking it in (this soup was nice)

what shocked me was the amount of steam that it produced after 10 mins no way could I use it in the camper unless I fancied a sauna and there was so much steam you could not use it under a wall cupboard or against a wall

then there was the cleaning More faf

good old Lakeland allowed me to return it for a refund even though I had tried it

Tefal EasySoup Maker

Trek, I very rarely bother faffing frying up onions etc, just bung all the ingredients in, at max we make enough soup for 3 meals for the pair of us, it's very filling, and if I've loads of veg that need using up then I just batch cook to save on washing it, that did seem a bit of a faff at first, but easy enough if you do it straight away, but then we don't have a new fangled dishwasher contraption:biggrin:, being only the 2 of us we never bothered replacing it as it's quicker and easier to wash the pots by hand. I agree about the steam bit, not ideal for the van, but at home I just put the extractor on which cures that.

Lakeland took the machine back even though i had used it twice and gave me a refund No wonder its my mothers fav shop !

the soup maker I had only made 1.2 lites which was two large bowls Not worth the effort , as a saucepan would feed us for two or three meals (claimed to feed 4 but we found it was more like 2.5 )

Just checked, mine is a Morphy Richards, 1.6 litres. Haven't shopped with Lakeland for many years, but always found them to provide excellent service.

You could try these recipes

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back