Speed cameras M1 & M25

Perhaps they should remove all of the speed cameras and install more average speed cameras, that should reduce the number of cars braking hard for a camera and then speeding up again

I bought a VW Tiguan r-Line with adaptive speed control fitted. If on cruise it would slow down for traffic immediately ahead and match their speed, accelerating automatically if they move out of the way. Why didn’t they go one extra step, you’ve set the cruise at say 55 and enter a 40 limit, or 30, and make it slow for the limit posted? It’s got GPS and speed symbol recognition so it shouldn’t have been too difficult?

On a personal note I would like to see more of the flashing warning signs to remind drivers rather than the big stick approach that we have.

Sometimes I wonder for instance the camera on the A34 if speeding on this busy road, which if you don't know it, it's normally stationary and the camera is obviously not there, if this a dangerous place then warning signs would make it safer than having speeding cars braking when they eventually see the camera.

Perhaps they should remove all of the speed cameras and install more average speed cameras, that should reduce the number of cars braking hard for a camera and then speeding up again

I bought a VW Tiguan r-Line with adaptive speed control fitted. If on cruise it would slow down for traffic immediately ahead and match their speed, accelerating automatically if they move out of the way. Why didn’t they go one extra step, you’ve set the cruise at say 55 and enter a 40 limit, or 30, and make it slow for the limit posted? It’s got GPS and speed symbol recognition so it shouldn’t have been too difficult?

I've often wondered in this technological time why we can't equip new vehicles with speed limiters, it can't be that difficult.

Mine has a speed limiter, although for some reason known only to the manufacturer I need to set each specific limit I enter. (Even though the internal cameras know exactly what the speed limit is.)

It starts as a novelty, and you think you are safe, but on a downhill section it doesn't quite work and as it slowly increases in speed the warning alarm drives me barmy.

In the end, I turn it off and rely on a Mk1 Eyeball.

Most Lorries are fitted with maximum speed limiters , normally 56mph but when they go down hill they will exceed this limit if you don't keep your eyes on the speedo , so that is one reason why you don't just rely on the speed limiter

i live close to jcn26 on the m25 and often go to kent if i travel at 70 on the m25 there are many cars and vans travelling at 20+mph faster than me and going under the gantrys but dont seem to be flashed

Do they need to flash these days? The average ones don’t flash and I guess they use infra red to read the number plates so why not the others too.

This is crazy. Just a money making exercise but I would also argue that its dangerous especially with a zero tolerance setting. People will spend half their time concentrating on their speedos instead of looking at the road. I can see a justification for a variable limit in times of congestion and fines for thundering down the outside lane at 80+ in a 50mph restriction but all this will do is likely increase accidents and make a wedge of cash in fines.
I’ve heard this argument before, usually by people who don’t want to be constrained by speed limits or think they shouldn’t apply to them ( though I am not suggesting you fall into either category)
A good driver should be able to maintain a steady speed without having to check the speedo constantly, remember, the speed limit is just that, a limit not a target, if you aren’t confident at being able to stick to the limit, drive slower.

Had a 'discussion' with a gendarme in France about speed limits and he thought it bizarre that in the UK we were allowed a 10% increase in case of speedo error. His answer was, that if we thought our speedo was not accurate, then drive 10% slower. :unsure:

Had a 'discussion' with a gendarme in France about speed limits and he thought it bizarre that in the UK we were allowed a 10% increase in case of speedo error. His answer was, that if we thought our speedo was not accurate, then drive 10% slower. :unsure:

It's a legal requirement that any inaccuracy speedo wise makes it over read not under.....
So there should be no need for an " allowance"

I have been reliably informed that the ticketing office in Kent at least could not cope with the increase of tickets if they are issued at 70, the courts would not cope either with the ones that were not paid. I think this is a usual doing the rounds scare story, but the question has to be :- "do you feel lucky punk, well do you" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've often wondered in this technological time why we can't equip new vehicles with speed limiters, it can't be that difficult.
The tech is there it is all down to cost.

On our fleet we were offered the option to 'zone' certain areas. When the vehicle entered the 'zone' its speed was restricted to whatever you wanted to set it at. It was declined due to cost.

If the government were serious about stopping speeding, or pollution come to that, they would ban the big gas guzzling cars that do close on 200 mph and about 10 to the gallon.

If the government were serious about stopping speeding, or pollution come to that, they would ban the big gas guzzling cars that do close on 200 mph and about 10 to the gallon.

Or any vehicles being used for pleasure purposes.... Like motorhomes for example?

Or any vehicles being used for pleasure purposes.... Like motorhomes for example?

A motorhome isn't designed to do anything illegal.

We are already on Euro6 soon to be 7 engines to combat pollution. There is absolutely no point in having a car capable of 200 mph though.

Rae you know that Rob wouldn't break any laws by driving over the speed limit, after all he was a professional drive before he hung up the pick up keys.
;):);)

Use false number plates for your journey, look online or locally, print it out, encase in plastic, stick on, bingo.

A motorhome isn't designed to do anything illegal.

We are already on Euro6 soon to be 7 engines to combat pollution. There is absolutely no point in having a car capable of 200 mph though.

I suspect most motorhomes are capable of breaking a 30mph limit let alone a 70mph one....

Point I'm making is as soon as you start pointing fingers....
Be wary on where they look next....
All those none essential miles we drive....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back