Sprinter DPF cleaning

Unless you have a sprinter like mine, never had a dpf problem :)

I thought that a DPF should 'clean' itself by using a gallon of diesel all in one go, making the engine pump out exhaust at 1,000000,000000 degrees C which is so hot that all the carbon burns off, dumping all the soot into the atmosphere in one place, instead of it being gradually dispersed as it would in a van with no dpf. It would appear that reallyreallyreallyreallyreally burnt carbon is healthier than just ornery burnt carbon.
I know my figures are exaggerated, but isn't that how it's supposed to work? I was poking around the menu on my Sprinter (2019) yesterday and it said the DPF is 40%. I assume that means 40% full of soot (specially as it has a graphic showing a bar from 1 to 100 which was at about 40), which is OK and I'm not about to go into hospital voluntarily.
It was interesting that the van went noticeably better after the cleaning job. That's logical.
Does the DPF cleaner kill the weeds in a block paved driveway and clean the concrete?
Thinks: if I chuck some of that Wynns DPF cleaner on to my log burner at home, will it clean the chimney? :unsure:

I have no idea if what I do actually works or not but when we are away in the van I have a tendency to trundle around when the traffic dictates I can, I'm happy at 30+ in 5th gear, but if/when I get to an A or two lane road I will leave it in 2nd or 3rd and give it the beans for a few minutes hoping this will clean the DPF, I read it somewhere.

Poor Mel, He lost the plot completely, made the job far more complex than it needed to be and broke a sensor in the bargain!

His analogy to a hoover is incorrect DPF cleaning fluids dissolve the soot hence work perfectly ok when injected in to the upstream pressure sensor port. Now if a DPF was full of lint, dog hair, peanuts etc then yep removal and reverse flushing may be more beneficial…..

There’s often an underlying cause for DPFs to become blocked and Oreilys YouTube channel if an excellent source of info if problems occur especially for Fords which seem to suffer from a very common issue.

Can you post us a link to Oreillys youtube about DPFs please? I looked but couldn't find it.

I can't help feeling that as the DPF is basically horizontal, if you squirt the liquid into it via a pressure sensing pipe, then you would only be able to half fill it and thus not get as good a clean as removing it and inverting it. Some (? a lot) of the cleaning fluid would run away along the rest of the exhaust pipe if you did it in situ.
. . . . .or does it foam up enough to reach the top of a horizontal DPF?

Good point.

Need to Google how it works unless there is a video on the makers website.

Having had experience of dismantling many exhaust systems I thing there's a good chance of an original Mercedes exhaust coming undone quite easily. I don't know what they coat their nuts and bolts with, but I removed a Mercedes car exhaust manifold that had done 186,000 miles and the nuts just undid as if they had been fitted the day before. There was no corrosion on the nuts or studs. I have done some work under my 4 year old Sprinter MH and can't imagine any problem undoing it. Other than my creaking bones of course.
And Mini exhaust manifolds used to be held on with brass nuts. Remember them? They squeaked as you removed them.
All other cars have rusted up steel nuts which shear the studs if you try to remove them - same as the exhaust pipe clamp bolts on regular cars.
Although I must admit that original exhausts on cars nowadays do tend to last longer than in the olden days, probably due to reduced emissions.

We used to call them monkey nuts :D :D

They last longer because they're galvanized.

The launch stuff that O'reilley uses to demonstrable effect when applied via a gun is foaming and it exits in that state when being blown out the exhaust. I would certainly use this method myself as an when required.

My BMW F11 is one of the many cars that have a mileage countdown so it will decide it needs to be replaced irrespective of actual condition and light up the dashboard or even disable the engine performance accordingly in about another 40,000 mile according to my ISTA diags

At that point it will be cleaned and the car told the DPF has been 'replaced'.

Fortunately the DPF in my Crafter and Daily don't do that, I just need to monitor the pressure occasionally.

Odd I can't find a DPF in my Kia Soul EV anywhere...........

. . .

My BMW F11 is one of the many cars that have a mileage countdown so it will decide it needs to be replaced irrespective of actual condition and light up the dashboard or even disable the engine performance accordingly . . . .
Ford cars similarly decide they need to be replaced, but the difference is that Fords don't give you any notice. They just go "Oh no, I've had enough. Get yourself a new one. Preferably a Japanese one".

I always used the oxy cet to head ex nuts up before removing, todays engines are so hard to work at as all cramped up with sh one t, all not required.
Engines today are about 5/10 % cleaner running, but the parts to do this require new factories using grid power and workers driving to the factory which runs at 25% extra dirt in the air, so we are about 15% worse of, best to just go back to old school cars that did the job well.yellow skoda.jpg

The second-to-last thing I heard about Volvo electric cars was that buyers are required to sign a form which says they accept that the car will not become environmentally neutral until they are 7 years old. . That assumes they won't need a multithousand pound new battery in the meantime of course.
Yesterday someone told me they are not making electric cars any more. Didn't I hear the same thing about Ford?
. . . .and I read somewhere that Euro7 specifies the emissions from brake dust and tyre wear. How on earth is a MOT station expected to test tyre and brake dust? 🤔

The second-to-last thing I heard about Volvo electric cars was that buyers are required to sign a form which says they accept that the car will not become environmentally neutral until they are 7 years old. . That assumes they won't need a multithousand pound new battery in the meantime of course.
Yesterday someone told me they are not making electric cars any more. Didn't I hear the same thing about Ford?
. . . .and I read somewhere that Euro7 specifies the emissions from brake dust and tyre wear. How on earth is a MOT station expected to test tyre and brake dust? 🤔
Yep its all now just bull sh one t, problem is we are being suckered into it just to grab our monies.
And when will electric cars be sub £500 for the likes of me to buy, my last car cost £10 and i got 15 years good driving from it, then sold on for £600, thats what i call value for money, not that im tight or anything. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back