Sprinter DPF cleaning

And when will electric cars be sub £500 for the likes of me to buy, my last car cost £10 and i got 15 years good driving from it, then sold on for £600, thats what i call value for money, not that im tight or anything. 😂
I expect that scrap yards will charge an EV donator £500 to take the thing away.
You are both right and tight.
I'm just jealous. Today I failed to fault find on a Renault Clio diesel 1.5 4 cyl. Symptoms:
Starts and drives OK with no lights on the speedo cluster. (That is to say they are there on ignition but go out when engine starts).
Runs perfectly except for:
Battery discharges with ignition off, about 1.5 Amps. So it discharges to 0 overnight.
With battery fully recharged, there's a quick clicking from a relay in the fuse box. Swapping out relays doesn't cure the fault.
Fuses checked.
12v at all of the glow plug leads when leads are disconnected.
All glow plugs open circuit (burnt out).
Code P0670 on OBD II diagnoser thing. Look it up, it says glow plug relay.

So I thought obviously the relay has gone short circtuit putting a permanent 12v on the glow plugs thus they have burnt out. Fit a new relay and glow plugs and it will be fixed. I did that and it wasn't fixed, the relay clicks away merrily and there is still 12v on the glow plug leads with ignition off.

For sale for spares / repairs: a lovely condition 2009 Diesel Clio, one owner, long MOT, new tyres and battery. 117,000 miles. £500 if you think you can fix it. It is far far too good to scrap. It belongs to a friend of mine who has bought his wife a new car.

I expect that scrap yards will charge an EV donator £500 to take the thing away.
I'm just jealous. Today I failed to fault find on a Renault Clio diesel 1.5 4 cyl. Symptoms:
Starts and drives OK with no lights on the speedo cluster. (That is to say they are there on ignition but go out when engine starts).
Battery discharges with ignition off, about 1.5 Amps. So it discharges to 0 overnight.
With battery fully recharged, there's a quick clicking from a relay in the fuse box. Swapping out relays doesn't cure the fault.
Fuses checked.

So I thought obviously the relay has gone short circtuit putting a permanent 12v on the glow plugs thus they have burnt out. Fit a new relay and glow plugs and it will be fixed. I did that and it wasn't fixed, the relay clicks away merrily and there is still 12v on the glow plug leads with ignition off.

For sale for spares / repairs: a lovely condition 2009 Diesel Clio, one owner, long MOT, new tyres and battery. 117,000 miles. £500 if you think you can fix it. It is far far too good to scrap. It belongs to a friend of mine who has bought his wife a new car.
Checked if the courtesy lights work like they should?

(Before you go on about it is power to the relay and not the lights, there could well be a connection ;) )

Fuses checked.

To much sh one t in cars these days, mind you folks here get rid of cars over 3/4 years old as a mot is required and dealers wont take them as p exchange, any they have taken go to wilsons auction house to get well rid off as they dont want hassle if they go wrong if sold on.
Man 3 doors up got his 7 year old pergo lifted by s man £150 as it had over 40th miles, i should have been in there but was not told, and it was going 100%, just to old he said.

Checked if the courtesy lights work like they should?

(Before you go on about it is power to the relay and not the lights, there could well be a connection ;) )

19W, about right for a couple of interior light bulbs 😏

@gasgas Do the glow plugs have 12V on them when the wiring is connected to the good, new, glow plugs?

19W, about right for a couple of interior light bulbs 😏

@gasgas Do the glow plugs have 12V on them when the wiring is connected to the good, new, glow plugs?
Some vehicles have the glow plugs come on when the door is opened so they are prewarmed by the time you put the key in the lock to start. (the VW LT and probably Sprinter do this).
And if that circuit starts but doesn't stop ...

This problem also kinds of reminds me of the VW I had with an Engine pre-warmer that decided to go on and stay on permanently.

I thought that a DPF should 'clean' itself by using a gallon of diesel all in one go, making the engine pump out exhaust at 1,000000,000000 degrees C which is so hot that all the carbon burns off, dumping all the soot into the atmosphere in one place, instead of it being gradually dispersed as it would in a van with no dpf. It would appear that reallyreallyreallyreallyreally burnt carbon is healthier than just ornery burnt carbon.
I know my figures are exaggerated, but isn't that how it's supposed to work? I was poking around the menu on my Sprinter (2019) yesterday and it said the DPF is 40%. I assume that means 40% full of soot (specially as it has a graphic showing a bar from 1 to 100 which was at about 40), which is OK and I'm not about to go into hospital voluntarily.
It was interesting that the van went noticeably better after the cleaning job. That's logical.
Does the DPF cleaner kill the weeds in a block paved driveway and clean the concrete?
Thinks: if I chuck some of that Wynns DPF cleaner on to my log burner at home, will it clean the chimney? :unsure:
But it's for your own good have a dpf to save the planet from global warming plus it put him in hospital for his own good

I was watching a Harrys Garage video the other day, (posted elsewhere) he gave a the figure for cars worldwide at about 7% for the pollution, not sure if that included light vans probably not, but it didn't include trucks, boats or aircraft so we're not a big part of the problem but we are a part that isn't really being looked at, and won't be until the manufacturers decide that EV doesn't even start to solve the problem.

Some vehicles have the glow plugs come on when the door is opened so they are prewarmed by the time you put the key in the lock to start. (the VW LT and probably Sprinter do this).
And if that circuit starts but doesn't stop ...

This problem also kinds of reminds me of the VW I had with an Engine pre-warmer that decided to go on and stay on permanently.
That is very interesting wildebus, It makes a lot of sense. I ddin't know about that or I would have checked. However the basic problem is that
the battery is discharging all the time whether the doors are open or not. All the glow plugs are open circuit which I concluded was due to the fact that there is a permanent 12v on them.
It's not my car, the owner has found someone who wants to buy it at £300 so I've put it all back together and it will be collected tonight. I would have preferred to fix it just for the satisfaction of an achievement, if nothing else. When I referred to the glow plug relay clicking in my earlier post I thought it would be a mechanical relay. However, I cut it open thinking I might clean the contacts or something, only to find that it is solid state with 4 transistors ? thyristors? encapsulated in a clear silicone material. The clicking actually comes from a relay in the fuse box which spends its time clicking, but I don't know what that relay does, because I don't have any sort of handbook or circuit diagram.
Anyway it will be gone, and presumably someone with the right information will fit a new £40 sensor and sell it for £1500. I really wish the local authority would do evening classes on modern cars, as they used to do in the 1980's but all the adult education things are 'how to type', how to use a phone, how to be a good citizen, how to volunteer at your library and so on.

That is very interesting wildebus, It makes a lot of sense. I ddin't know about that or I would have checked.
I didn't until I noticed a drop in the battery voltage on the voltmeter I have on the dash for a short time as soon as opening the door, and so investigated further.

However the basic problem is that
the battery is discharging all the time whether the doors are open or not. All the glow plugs are open circuit which I concluded was due to the fact that there is a permanent 12v on them.
Now this door switch will almost certainly activate a relay to do that, and quite likely that relay activates another relay for the plugs.
If the relay is bad and doesn't open after closing, or the basic timer mechanism is knackered, the relay/s could stay closed when they should have opened again?
I mentioned my Pre-heater running? That was a standard fit Webasto TTC diesel heater that is meant to activate at temperatures below 10C and in certain circumstances. For some reason it came on (when it was warmer anyway) and stayed on. No idea why and I never really had much use for it anyway, so instead of troubleshooting it, I just took the fuse out. (sometimes the easy fixes are the best :D ).

I bet the glowplug relay fix will actually be dead simple once the wiring is tracked down.

It's not my car, the owner has found someone who wants to buy it at £300 so I've put it all back together and it will be collected tonight. I would have preferred to fix it just for the satisfaction of an achievement, if nothing else. When I referred to the glow plug relay clicking in my earlier post I thought it would be a mechanical relay. However, I cut it open thinking I might clean the contacts or something, only to find that it is solid state with 4 transistors ? thyristors? encapsulated in a clear silicone material. The clicking actually comes from a relay in the fuse box which spends its time clicking, but I don't know what that relay does, because I don't have any sort of handbook or circuit diagram.
Anyway it will be gone, and presumably someone with the right information will fit a new £40 sensor and sell it for £1500. I really wish the local authority would do evening classes on modern cars, as they used to do in the 1980's but all the adult education things are 'how to type', how to use a phone, how to be a good citizen, how to volunteer at your library and so on.

Wrong tyres I bet :D :D, pretty though.

Err Hang on Trev. That is a fake. For a start it has a starter motor since it doesn't have a hole to poke the winder through, and for a second it has indicators. Probably radial tyres. Definiely a curved windscreen. Two electrically operated wipers. Door mirrors.
Harrumph, you can't believe anything you see nowadays can you?
It's probably got a direct injection diesel engine with computerised fuel injection, a DPF, and EGR valve.

There was a company that made pseudo replicas with Transit running gear so it could be one of those.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back