Squealing Fiat Ducato 2.3 litre

Mine does it as well. Hobby (Ducato 2.8). Stops when warmed up.
Waterpump is new.
There is always a bit of water on top of the engine that has dripped from the scuttle. This is likely my cause as well.
Will try the belt water cover under the hood trick.
It is related to load....squealing will usually stop when lights and fan turned off.

Hi, assuming that a belt is the first to check obviously, How about trying a probe to your ear whilst checking the water pump, fan, turbo, belt adjusters. alternator. Its not unknown to find a bush or bearing that's not being lubricated enough from new. Could an adjuster bracket have a break that allows belts to slip whilst being revved ? What a great puzzle, we could have a competition at a meet for a prize to the finder. Rgd's Graham.

P.S. As this is a one off, what about checking the vee'd belts and pulleys, with a thread gauge to see if either is slightly out of pitch centres.
Like this comment sounds like you are an old fashioned engineer, although I suspect not many of us carry a thread gauge nowadays

'er indoors' makes some odd noises on a regular basis, - with some quite nasty accompanying side-issues... I know where they come from, for those I think Izal dustbin powder might be better than even industrial strength talc.... WD40 would simply increase the pitch I reckon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again, just a thought, why don't you try belt grip on the belts to eliminate them. Do this one at a time to see which. I have used this for many years with great results, even slack ones, both in the factory and on cars. Its readily available on both ebay and Amazon and its made for the job with no detriment to the belts. At least it will rule them out.
A worn shiny pulley caused it me once. Perhaps Fiat have ground them smooth? Rough up if it is this. Rgd's Graham.

Last edited:
Our one year old Hymer Exsis is at present in Travelworld for the same issue!
They have acknowledged there is a problem!
Platts failed to sort it out!
We would be very interested to know how you get on. We are just in the process of making arrangements for our van to go into yet another Fiat Professional garage.Fingers crossed !

Hi again, just a thought, why don't you try belt grip on the belts to eliminate them. Do this one at a time to see which. I have used this for many years with great results, even slack ones, both in the factory and on cars. Its readily available on both ebay and Amazon and its made for the job with no detriment to the belts. At least it will rule them out.
A worn shiny pulley caused it me once. Perhaps Fiat have ground them smooth? Rough up if it is this. Rgd's Graham.
Unfortunately our van is still under warranty so only a Fiat Professional garage can touch it.

That's interesting *****. I experienced the noise being discussed here only after having a new alternator ( and belt) fitted to my 2004 2.8 JTD Ducato.

Good luck

K ;)

It should be relatively simple to differentiate between the alternator or the serpentine belt and the water pump. The water pump is buried inside the timing cover and driven by the cam belt. I can only speak of my experience where water ingress through the scuttle was falling onto the alternator and the belt tensioner. Mine would only squeal on first start up in the morning after heavy rain

Just spoke to Travelworld and Fiat have authorised a new belt and new alternator. These are to be fitted today and will be tested when the engine is cold tomorrow!
The parts arrived on a next day VOR basis!
This is interesting! I wonder what Fiat will say about our van. We are just waiting to hear from Autoservices, Perth, as to what the next move is. We have had a new alternator fitted and the tension checked on the belt by another garage. Tension bearing were mentioned but nothing was done about it. The hassle certainly takes away the shine of owning a brand new van.

The local Fiat dealer first thought it was the alternator, and they had another van with a similar squeal.
They did the other first and found out it was the belt tension bearing. Thus thinking mine was similar, they replaced our belt tension bearing.
Maybe their first thoughts were correct!
Travelworld are doing as Fiat have instructed!
With the tension bearing, belt and alternator all replaced, there is not much else, except maybe the water pump bearing.
Not forgetting the squeal stops after about 20 to 30 seconds and only squeals when the engine is cold.
Anyway, I have to think lucky

edit
Don't forget mine is the 2.3 euro 6, therefore, not necessarily the same problem

Fair point, well made ;) my squeal also appeared when splashing through deep puddles on offside...

Good luck with the repairs.

K ;)

I did make a full width valance which fitted immediately behind the bumper and up to the sump. I also made flaps to extend the existing plastic splash guards in the offside wheel arch, all to no avail with mine. At that price though it could be worth a punt.

Still not got my van back!
New alternator and belt fitted, but still not rectified.
Apparently I have been told that Fiat have recognised the scuttle plate problem and are sending a new version and they tell me that possibly a recall coming, for most newer Fiats
Another idle bearing and tensioner also ordered.
After all of this, there is little else to change.
Travelworld have been pretty good up to now and are liaising with Fiat all of the way!
This is very interesting. We haven't taken ours back to a Fiat garage yet It's still squealing. As it's our sole vehicle it's so inconvenient. Wonder if there will be a recall.

Thanks Graham. Mine is due for it's first service in about three weeks.

It's possible potential recalls don't affect Fiat PVCs, but I'll ask.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back