Standard weigh for giving payload?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7512
  • Start date

Deleted member 7512

Been knebbing at motorhomes and noticed the payload. I wondered do ALL manufacturers use the same rule or all different in what they include?

Going to look at a Hymer tomorrow and payload not great but wondered may if they included more than other motorhome companies it's a 2008. Anyone any ideas?

You are asking about the MRO or MIRO, mass running order, which is the basic weight when the vehicle left the factory. There is no legislation for this figure and some manufacturers will include different elements. You should also bear in mind that any extras added to the van will not be included in the MRO. If you can find the relevant Hymer brochure that will give the MRO and what it includes in the technical spec.

There is an EU directive that specifies what should be allowed for in the MIRO but it may not date back to 2008.

There is an EU directive that specifies what should be allowed for in the MIRO but it may not date back to 2008.

...and presumably would not now include any British manufacturers?

Read small print very carefully. Some manufacturers MIRO figures exclude thing you would expect to be included. Like supports and mattresses for 3rd/4th passengers bed on 4 person vans. Only small quantities of liquids in tanks. Only one cylinder full of gas when there’s space for two. All devious means to boast an unrealistically large payload.
And finally don’t part with a deposit if the dealer won’t agree in writing to the sale being subject to an acceptable weighbridge reading before completing the sale. And note that the + or -5% tolerance the manufacturers give themselves on the weight can add up to a substantial figure if it comes out at +5%.

It is important too to account for any new accessories fitted, the only way to be sure of what payload you have is to fill the fuel tank, get all persons on board and get it on a weighbridge, you have to account for the amount of water you may drive with (1 litre = 1Kg) food, drinks, possessions etc.

The problem is the seller/dealer won't let you do that so an empty van is the best you can hope to get weighed then do the maths.

When I was looking for a van for full timing I offered to pay for it to be weighed to give me a rough idea of the payload, some said yes and some said no and some of the results from the ones who agreed were eye opening with one Rapido (3500) having less than 200kg to spare! On the whole I found the Hymers were the better ones for avaiable payload. So like Barge1914 and Pudsey Bear have said, best thing to do is get it weighed before you buy it.
Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Del

Well found the Hymer manual in German. It includes driver(75KG) full fuel tank and other engine fluids, full water tank but other two tanks empty. Includes batteries and also the power cable to hookup so not too bad really.

Well found the Hymer manual in German. It includes driver(75KG) full fuel tank and other engine fluids, full water tank but other two tanks empty. Includes batteries and also the power cable to hookup so not too bad really.
Should also include 1 full aluminium gas cylinder. Beware the full water tank, they got round that part of the regulations by specifying a travelling level of about 20 litres and fitting a drain off valve with a travelling position.

Both vehicles we bought from Southdowns were weighed as is so we knew exactly how much payload we had to play with. There are variations for payload depending on what the manufacturers are trying to sell. There are also manufacturing tolerances so the only way is to get it weighed.

I'd not buy one without having it weighed with a full water tank and 2 full gas bottles and allow for the passenger. You also need to have both axles weighed as when your loading it either of the axles can still be over loaded. No weigh No way would I consider buying it

The maker's figures are not to be trusted. A certificate from a weighbridge, also knowing what was in the tanks when it was weighed, is the only way to calculate the payload.

I do a lot of work on ex ambulances being converted, both the box bodied (modular) dually types and the PVC types.
It's truly staggering how many people buy them naively thinking they can down plate a dually down to 3500KG and actually have any form of payload at all!

My own modular Sprinter Dually once stripped down was around 3300KG empty and weighed in at 3960KG built with a full tank of fuel and the driver, fully loaded on trips its normally nearer 4400KG.

The PVC types often have air suspension as part of an uplating and uprating exercise e.g the 4000KG Ducatos
I also have an uplated Crafter with VB Air assist and a stronger front spring which took it up to a max of 3850Kg.

I mentioned the latter because it seems very common in the van community to add air assist rear springs when the vans hitting the bump stop a bit too often but I wonder how many people do the right thing and get it weighed first as part of that exercise!
Maybe the damn things was simply to heavy in the first place etc.

I suspect many many vans out there are well over 3500KG when on the road especially if carrying the baggage of multiple passengers despite all the consequences that could entail if stopped or worse if in an accident

I can't echo enough the previous comments, to get any potential purchase weighed, ideally with a full tank of water however if only using campsites the water tanks are probably the one thing you could leave empty if it makes enough difference.

Don't forget a lot of vans don't have spare wheels some don't even have jacks so check!
I wouldn't be without either nor a small toolkit and I also carry a couple of waffle boards which I have needed and used!

Most off the shelf vans don't have solar panels or they are so inadequately sized as to be pretty naf, so if planning to off grid allow for weight they add etc. Some people take Bikes or Boats etc as they are fundamental parts of their van trips.

I.e always factor in what you may want to add to the vehicle and/or what you consider to be a minimal basic emergency kit.

Lastly whatever you buy if you find you are really tight on the weight limit always always take everything out of the van after each trip and decide if you actually need it next time it's amazing how much weight accumulates in a vehicle if ignored, especially electrical gadgets, books, excess cameras, outdoor furniture, food cans and cooking utensils etc.

We made it a condition of purchase that the M/Home was weighed beforehand so that we could weigh everything by hand to calculate the overall vehicle weight when loaded, and we add/subtract for each change we make to the Van.. Allowing for 2 full Gas bottles, a full tank of diesel and a full tank of fresh water, we have a margin of some 90kg, but we will get round to getting a weighbridge visit,including updated axle loads before the 2022 season starts

Steve

Full tank of water in the Carthago is about 120kg so only half fill it. It's more than enough for us for a couple of days.

Full tank of water in the Carthago is about 120kg so only half fill it. It's more than enough for us for a couple of days.
I may have misled you, so, my apologies. I wanted to be certain that I could carry a full tank of diesel, fresh water and gas if I needed to, without having to be obliged to reduce the load to stay legal. We went down to the Scottish Borders on Monday and had to wild camp, so we had a full tank of diesel, about 70 litres of water, and 2 x refillable 11kg gas. The extra weight made the climbs hard going, but the biting cold made the gas consumption soar, and the lack of disposal facilities meant that we returned with pretty much the same weight as we started with.

Lastly, I want the peace of mind knowing that I won't be arriving on a site driving a vehicle that is within a hair's breadth of the 3500kg limit and I then add another 100kg of weight on the axles by filling the water tank, and another 15kg+ after a supermarket visit etc

Steve

What's the payload of your MH Steve?

What's the payload of your MH Steve?
706kg, Graham. With full tanks of diesel, water and gas, actual weights for me & Elaine, rather than the computed weights for driver and passenger, we use some 615kg if we are fully loaded. The axle loads were weighed by the Dealer when the Van, was almost completely empty, at 1285kg [Front v. 1850kg permitted max; Rear 1541Kg v. 2000kg permitted max] so there should be a sensible margin on the axle load

Steve

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Its amazing how quickly it all gets eaten up isn't it.

...and I think of that thread on MHF where someone came on asking about a 7.5m MH with 5 or 6 belted seats! No chance on payload that one.

Its amazing how quickly it all gets eaten up isn't it.

...and I think of that thread on MHF where someone came on asking about a 7.5m MH with 5 or 6 belted seats! No chance on payload that one.
Elaine and I had that conversation on the journey down to the Scottish Borders! 'Imagine if we had 2 passengers, that would be another 200kg with them, their kit, their food etc, and that WOULD make Brunhilde struggle ...'. Just about all of the Scottish Borders towns have 20mph speed limits, and a fair few sit at the bottom of a hill, so you have to both brake and engine brake on the descent to scrub off speed on the descent, pootle through the town narrow High Street, and then watch the Instant Consumption read out go off the scale as you climb out of the town ...

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back