Steve's super simple sloping solar :)

St3v3

I wanted this to be as simple i.e. cheap as possible, and was desperate to have something that tilted more than one way.

So, frame with one panel in

20190223_151411.jpg

All four corners of the panels are secured with cotter pins and r clips.

20190223_151422.jpg

Both panels on

20190223_151606.jpg

Then, pull out 2 pins from either side and tilt. 4 lengths of angle will replace the mop! So it can tilt either way, and different holes in the supports will provide different angles.

Simples!

20190223_151707.jpg

Well done steve and you have just opened a can o worms gonna watch this post grow like mad ,hows the wee boy liking the new wheels
Bet he is in his glory

looks good :)

I've seen loads of tilting setups on YouTube and never understood why they didn't just put that tiniest bit more effort in to make it dual angle tilting. Great stuff (y)

Interesting...what's the detail for the inner fixing of the cotter pin?

Better get that aluminium swarf cleaned up off the kitchen floor before she gets home!

Allen

Not quite sure what you mean? You reach under the panel, poke the pin through the panel's frame, through the frame I made and secure with the R clip. I've yet to drill a couple of access holes to get to the inner pins.

Steve, you hereby win a gold star for the innovative use of cleaning equipment and for rising to the 'dual purpose for everything on-board' challenge. Of course, you'll get bonus points if you offer a roof cleaning service at meets :ROFLMAO:

Great effort Steve , make sure you clean up all that aluminium swarf before the boss stands on it and cuts her big toe :eek:o_O

Great idea, looks good did think about this before but instead of dual tilting what about three way tilting. I have seen trailers that can tilt back, left or on the right. All the corner had a tilt option all you had to do was keep the side you wanted to tilt locked. Look forward to seeing the progress.3_Way_Photo_V1_large.png

How are you going to secure to the roof , bond or bond and screw or bolts and. NUTS is the ally frame anodized or plain .

I like the idea of tilting but worry about the security of the panels. How difficult would it be to remove the panels ? Does it need any equipment ?

I like the idea of tilting but worry about the security of the panels. How difficult would it be to remove the panels ? Does it need any equipment ?

You'd need a ladder and a bit of time, that's all. However, panels are only ever fixed with ordinary screws as a rule, and sometimes with ladders already fitted to the van.

Also, panels are getting cheaper all the time, I'd like to hope it isn't worth it.

A second thought on your idea, fantastic for a single panel, but with two panels you'll need a load of space between so that one doesn't cast a shadow on the other.
the whole lot up in one go,no shadow,do remember to use a locking arm or the wind will have it away,keep power cable to lowest part to the roof.

Looking good. If you have not done so already, I would suggest that you setup the two panels to work in Parallel, not Series to minimise the overall effect that a shadow on the flue may cast.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back