The Bread and Baking Thread

I'd really like to try that, Nigel. I'm one of those people who prefer 'high bake', be it toast, sourdough or whatever.
So your Japanese milk loaf looks good to me!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
high bake ?
Looks a bit like a brioche to me! I find overnight in the fridge rise gives the best even result. Love to see the recipe like trying new stuff!
had it toasted this morn ,and a cheese butty later . not bad at all ! supposed to look like this https://www.carolinescooking.com/japanese-milk-bread/ i've made it a few times ,it's very nice

Got banana bread in oven looks good so far 15 min to go if it doesn't work out I'm going to go back to primary school and il pay attention this time, might be cup cakes, but no photos of my new school uniform :eek:

Sourdough 100% wholemeal?
I think that I'll give it a try, Sue. I can't think of any reason that it shouldn't produce an edible (enjoyable? :LOL: 😂 🤣 ) loaf.
And as it happens, I have some wholemeal flour that's getting towards it's BBE date. And I'll probably need to use more water than usual because the extra fibre present in wholemeal flour absorbs water.
I'll double check my life policies cover such a situation should things not go to plan.

Colin :):):)

oohhh...loverly interestin...mouthwatering thread..........think i might find a bread recepie for bread made in microwave and give it a try.......

Made carrot cake Sunday. Very pleased how it looked and tasted. And soft chease icing was very nice. Starting to looking up YouTube for recipes. Think I need to get out more. So the thread is bread making so il have a go this week

Inspired by this thread Ron made bread and it was delicious problem isn’t we ate it to quickly 🤨
That's really good news, Penny. I' m delighted that our relaxed, gentle, warm thread has encouragesd others to have a go at bread making.
Is there any chance that you could post the recipes that Ron is using and, should a loaf last sufficient time, post a photo or two?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Back at post #388 I mentioned that I planned to make some 100% wholemeal sourdough loaves.
Well, I've now made one:

IMG_20201128_081151.jpg

IMG_20201129_124648.jpg

...and the loaf tastes great with a good combination of sour from the starter and wholegrain flavour from the wholemeal flour.
The crumb is relatively fine and the texture firm (I much prefer firmer textured bread).
In fact I was so happy with my first loaf that I made a second:

IMG_20201203_094506.jpg

IMG_20201203_094647.jpg

Again, I'm currently enjoying this one!

The recipe I used is pretty much as in post number #322 with 500g of Carr's wholemeal flour (other brands are available) and the starter made up to 435g with water. I decided to add 35g more water to allow for the absorption of water in the extra fibre in wholemeal flour. It worked well, though the dough is slightly wetter to handle.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I thought that I'd have a bit of a bake this afternoon. These are 80% white and 20% wholemeal flour with fast action dried yeast. My Mum always called this style of loaf a 'split tin' (top split with a knife, baked in a tin).
It's been a while since I made anything other than a sourdough loaf!

IMG_20201204_151927.jpg

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Looks good, Colin did your mum make bread
She did. And pies. And suet puddings.
My Dad grew pretty much all the fruit and vegetables a young family needed and my Mum was a good cook. In those days I feel that people generally ate well. Fish and chips and pie and mash and eels and mash (I lived on the outskirts of London) were pretty much the only fast food available (though we had all three cooked at home). Spaghetti came out of a tin! Pre-cooked meals I don't ever remember seeing and people's diets generally had a higher proportion of fresh, high fibre ingredients.
Lots of things were rubbish of course, like vehicle reliability, excess smoking, availability of really good health care, pollution, lack of recycling .....etc...... etc.....etc.
Am I showing my age?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Been on YouTube and put up baking bread secretes ( Michelle's little piece of heaven)and wondered what your views on this were, don't get to excited by the name, sorry I can't put a link up, cos I don't know how to, gerry

Been on YouTube and put up baking bread secretes ( Michelle's little piece of heaven)and wondered what your views on this were, don't get to excited by the name, sorry I can't put a link up, cos I don't know how to, gerry
I might be able to help re. YouTube links:
  1. Open the video in your browser.
  2. Copy the video's address from the address bar of your browser to the Clipboard. The easiest way to insert the video is to just paste this address into the reply pane of this site. Note that you need to preview the post to check that the video is embedded. If that doesn't work then:
  3. In the reply pane of this site, click the 'Media' icon (1607160319369.png). The Insert Media dialog box opens.
  4. Into the Media URL field of the Insert Media dialog box, paste the video's address from the Clipboard then click Continue. The dialog box closes and a MEDIA tag appears at the cursor. This will become the embedded video when you preview or post your reply.
Here's one I did earlier of one of Phil's YT videos:

HTH, Geoff

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back