The Bread and Baking Thread

A lot of recipes call for buttermilk but if you cannot get any have a look at this substitute
Another substitute for Buttermilk is soy milk. yes it gives a slight taste, pleasant enough and browns the colour ..again only slightly.
PS I like porridge and prefer it with soy milk

Oils instead of butter in either bread or cake.
Many recipes suggest olive oil..That has taste and is expensive !
We use canola oil as it appears to be ELFY.
Recently we have tried coconut oil..(as with olive oil some taste.)
In many ways it is a good substitute as if it is cool/cold it is firm like butter.
It does seem it is also ELFIER than butter
so a measured amount in the fridge can be "stiffened up" (just beware this does not work for body parts !)
If it is too cold/hard it can be warmed until it reaches the desired viscosity either for mixing or brushing on.
Oil for butter seems very good in cakes that call for melted butter !

The weather is pretty grim in Hertfordshire today so I thought I'd make more of the Marmite Breakfast biscuits I posted about at #408.
This time I decided that the biscuits really should have the shape of a Marmite jar so made some cutters out of aluminium strip:

IMG_20210113_132530.jpg

The central cutter produces the basic biscuit shape, the one to the left an indent representing the label and the one to the right an indent representing the lid.
Yes I know - too much time on my hands!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Looks good Colin. How did it taste
It's not at all bad, Gerry. The texture varies a bit across the whole biscuit, being firmer on the outer edge. That might mean that I need to bake it for a little longer. I'll try that with the next one I make.

Colin :):):)

The weather's still pretty grim so I've cheered myself up by baking some mini savoury, seeded rye crispbreads:

IMG_20210114_135204.jpg

There's plenty of seeds in them and they'e tasty just as they are, though I'd anticipated having them with super-strong cheddar.
(If the weather doesn't improve soon my clothes won't fit!).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back