The Bread and Baking Thread

Is the recipe on their site? I make loads of scones but just plain using my mother's recipe and then get clotted cream and strawberry jam to accompany. They are a great stand-by in the freezer! You'd have liked my latest sourdough, seriously over tanned - tastes great though!

The National Trust site has loads of recipes, Sue (I'm sure you're aware of this). The scones recipes can be found here. I used the fruit scones recipe.
If you're into scones, the National Trust publish a recipe book, though I think most of the recipes can be found on their website.
As to sourdough - the more tanned the better!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Used this recipe as it seemed and was quick and easy.
Best to roll out/flatten very well as it puffs up

I, being a lazy cook, used the whole egg rather than seperating.
Turned out well ! And not being yeast based kept half the dough overnight (in a plastic bag)

I believe cows milk or soy milk could be used instead of yoghurt maybe even Coconut milk/cream
And Coconut oil instead of Canola ...Coconut oil being a good butter substitute

Last edited:
Well I have not made bread for many years, so I thought I'd give it a go. Initially I used a ready made, just add water mix from Asda, and to be fair, it wasn't too bad. From them on my results went downhill, so I thought I'd have a look at flatbread. Got a recipe off t'web, and I used self raising flour, decided to chuck some herbs in, and oh my word, it was superb. So now I am hooked on flatbread! The good thing is that I will be able to produce these when I am out in the van.😃

Well I have not made bread for many years, so I thought I'd give it a go. Initially I used a ready made, just add water mix from Asda, and to be fair, it wasn't too bad. From them on my results went downhill, so I thought I'd have a look at flatbread. Got a recipe off t'web, and I used self raising flour, decided to chuck some herbs in, and oh my word, it was superb. So now I am hooked on flatbread! The good thing is that I will be able to produce these when I am out in the van.😃

Any chance that you could share your flatbread recipe, Debs? There's an awful lot of recipes for flatbread on the interwebby thingy!
I've made flatbreads in the Moho - it works very well for me since it's easy to make a small amount and it can be made as needed on the hob, so is always fresh and warm.

Colin :):):)

Any chance that you could share your flatbread recipe, Debs? There's an awful lot of recipes for flatbread on the interwebby thingy!
I've made flatbreads in the Moho - it works very well for me since it's easy to make a small amount and it can be made as needed on the hob, so is always fresh and warm.

Colin :):):)
Dead simple.
Two cups of flour
1.5 tsp baking powder (I use self raising so no baking powder needed)
0.75 cup of water
1tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt

Place dry ingredients into bowl, mix thoroughly, add water and oil, and mix till all the ingredients are combined. Turn onto surface and knead until smooth. Allow to rest. Divide into pieces, roll out to about4 or 5 mill ish, and place in hot skillet with tiny amount of oil, till cooked in a few minutes. Eat.
When you mix the dry ingredients, this is where you can get creative, I have been adding dry herbs and I will be trying other things hopefully. If you have mix left over, put in freezer bag and chuck it in the fridge, you can freeze it if you wish but mine get eaten over three ish days.👍 I have now deleted the olive oil as sometimes they can be a little greasy.😁
Update, I've now switched to using plain flour and adding baking powder, and the results are very different, much nicer.

Last edited:
All this week on BBCR4 at 09:45 there's been an episode of this week's Book of the Week.
It's 'Slow Rise: A Bread Making Adventure' by Robert Penn. It's available in five 15 minute episodes and I enjoyed it immensely.
Hopefully there'll be an Omnibus edition released soon. All five episodes are currently available for about three weeks on BBC Sounds.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks for the link Colin.

I walked past just as an episode was ending, but forgot to check whether it was a single episode or a series.

Your link tells me each episode is only 14mins ling, which is perfect as a filler.

It's been a little quiet in the thread so I just thought I'd confirm that I'm still baking sourdough:

IMG_20210330_122153.jpg

.......and I'm thoroughly enjoying both making and eating it.
Some photos of your produce would be much appreciated!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
A traditional Hertfordshire Easter Sunday lunch today:

IMG_20210404_192940.jpg

IMG_20210404_193039.jpg

Yep, homemade pizza!
Jane used more olive oil in the dough this time around and it made a wonderfully crisp, tasty base and crust.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back