The final count down.

Thanks all.

My laddies did me proud, 1x Jack & Victor bottle of whisky. 2 x bottles of Grey Goose Vodka, 2 x bottles of cheeky red wine and, wait for it, a box of chocolates. All humbly received and appreciated by me.

Also nice comments from each student as I wound up my final class this afternoon.
Are you sure they weren’t simply bribing you to give them all good “end of an era” report cards?

Are you sure they weren’t simply bribing you to give them all good “end of an era” report cards?
Actually Tony, I completed their progress reports (which goes to their employer) on Tuesday, handed to our support staff lady who deals with our apprentices. There will be some cursing when each student reads their report. 🤭

They are not all bad, a truthful full account of some individuals poor performance.

Actually Tony, I completed their progress reports (which goes to their employer) on Tuesday, handed to our support staff lady who deals with our apprentices. There will be some cursing when each student reads their report. 🤭

They are not all bad, a truthful full account of some individuals poor performance.
A work colleague in the Bank wrote on a staff member's annual appraisal [who was 1/2 way out of the door at that time], 'This young man has broadened the boundariess of incompetence' :rolleyes:. To which my colleague, Tim Stringfellow, replied, 'That's a posh way of saying he'd need to be twice as clever to be a bloody half-wit' ... :ROFLMAO: It was 36 years+ ago, when you could still make such robust assessments!

Steve

When I used to have to do appraisals for my team I had an argument every year with the head of HR (or Personnel Manager as they used to be called). I objected strongly to one of the rankings which was “performs as expected“. I used to argue that if by any chance I had a right numpty in the team then I would expect him to perform like a numpty so would have to give him/her this ranking. However if I had a brilliant person then if they performed brilliantly (ie as expected) then they would get the same ranking.
i eventually won my argument and the descriptions were changed!

Congratulations Terry, am sure you will enjoy all the time to exactly as you want - or as you are told !!

When I used to have to do appraisals for my team I had an argument every year with the head of HR (or Personnel Manager as they used to be called). I objected strongly to one of the rankings which was “performs as expected“. I used to argue that if by any chance I had a right numpty in the team then I would expect him to perform like a numpty so would have to give him/her this ranking. However if I had a brilliant person then if they performed brilliantly (ie as expected) then they would get the same ranking.
i eventually won my argument and the descriptions were changed!
I'd have expected the addition of 'Performs like the argumentative so and so he is', just for you! :D. There is a problem with 'Adequate performance' category, especially if the 3rd of 5 boxes to tick, because so many Managers tick this to avoid any arguments with the Appraisee. And if the individual is performing consistently at above average, then the rating needs to rise to the 2nd box and the explanatory text to indicate that the employee is ready for promotion, 'when a suitable vacancy arises', with the text indicating the skills that should be worked on to continue the individual's development, to turn potential into actual improvement

Steve

I'd have expected the addition of 'Performs like the argumentative so and so he is', just for you! :D. There is a problem with 'Adequate performance' category, especially if the 3rd of 5 boxes to tick, because so many Managers tick this to avoid any arguments with the Appraisee. And if the individual is performing consistently at above average, then the rating needs to rise to the 2nd box and the explanatory text to indicate that the employee is ready for promotion, 'when a suitable vacancy arises', with the text indicating the skills that should be worked on to continue the individual's development, to turn potential into actual improvement

Steve
Luckily I didn’t have to have any appraisals for whatever reason, but I’m sure that if I did have I would have been subject to far worse than being an argumentative so and so!

Luckily I didn’t have to have any appraisals for whatever reason, but I’m sure that if I did have I would have been subject to far worse than being an argumentative so and so!
One of my early Staff Appraisals was conducted by the District Staff Manager during a vist from Birmingham Local Head Office. He wrote, 'Mr March is an intelligent young man, with a lively, if somewhat brash and abrasive sense of humour, which he will have to learn to control ...' I didn't like to tell hom that I was 9 years old when I was first smacked round the head by my Class Teacher, Reggie Morgan, for making a smart arse comment, I hadn't improved in the intervening 19 years, and some 42 years later, I'm still opening my mouth to change feet ... :D. And, being retired, there are no career consequences to worry about, just the need to avoid a Forum Ban/Eviction for injudicious comments ...

Steve

Duplicate of Post #50. Mea culpa

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back