The LongRoadSouth

I don't think so - just a big bottle!

Honestly I mean this in total sincerity when I write this............................ if you are on a long trip to Euorpe then it will pay you a zillion times over to have a refillable cylinder.
As you don't have one already then as you obviously have room for a decent sized cylinder in your locker then, if I were you, I would go out and buy yourself a refillable cylinder from the likes of Gassit https://www.gasit.co.uk/ where you can buy a refillable cylinder with 2 x entry points into the cylinder. The need for 2 x entry points is so that you can use one of the points to attach a permanent pipe system to an external filling point whilst the other one stay permanently attached to your user system.

\honestly fitting a tank like this will end up saving you a small fortune as you can refill them throughout Europe for a fraction of the cost of buying umpteen replacement cylinders.

Honestly I mean this in total sincerity when I write this............................ if you are on a long trip to Euorpe then it will pay you a zillion times over to have a refillable cylinder.
As you don't have one already then as you obviously have room for a decent sized cylinder in your locker then, if I were you, I would go out and buy yourself a refillable cylinder from the likes of Gassit https://www.gasit.co.uk/ where you can buy a refillable cylinder with 2 x entry points into the cylinder. The need for 2 x entry points is so that you can use one of the points to attach a permanent pipe system to an external filling point whilst the other one stay permanently attached to your user system.

\honestly fitting a tank like this will end up saving you a small fortune as you can refill them throughout Europe for a fraction of the cost of buying umpteen replacement cylinders.

Thanks for this Millie. My trip this time will only be 3 weeks but retiring at the end of the year so next year as long as I like! I'll look at this very closely as if it's going to be that helpful I may as well go ahead this year. How easy are they to refill in the UK? As you can tell I'm pretty new to all this!

How easy are they to refill in the UK? As you can tell I'm pretty new to all this!

With regards to the UK, there are downloadable maps showing where the LPG stations are.

If you have an external filling point................. and this really is an important best to do option, then you shouldn't have any problems filling an on board refillable tank wherever you are in either the UK or overseas just as long as you have the correct adapters which are available from the likes of Gasit.

The tank I have is a lightweight glassfibre SafeFill tank that doesn't have 2 entry points into the tank, so in theory with these tanks you can normally only ever refill them by removing the regulator and in most cases that means removing them from the cupboard you have them fitted into. But in my case I have fitted an external filling point and all I do now is to swap over the pipes before going to a filling station, which is more than somewhat of a PITA! So I would never advise anyone to buy a SafeFill tank as a lot of refilling stations in the UK refuse to allow them to be refilled and overseas it is a big NO.

Mine is a self built camper which I built to an as light as possible mindset when building her. If I was doing it again I would only go for an Alugas aluminium cylinder, but they are damned expensive https://www.autogasshop.co.uk/alugas-lightweight-alloy-bottles-111-c.asp

Other cylinder of the internal, inside the van types are available from the likes of GASIT http://www.gasit.co.uk/ or GASLOW https://www.gaslowdirect.com/ but as they are made from mild steel they are considerably heavier but one hell of a lot less expensive................ and then finally you can go for an underslung gas tank as most people appear to do and these are available from both of the companies listed above, who also offer a fitting service.
If fitting an underslung tank you would be best advised to treat the body of the tank to a good few coats of underseal as they do tend to rust.

Good luck

Phil

No

This Rova Viva is an Alexa device for cars etc...

So you can call up music, change sat nave destinations, ask other stuff, while driving safe.
I assume that for the rova viva to work with all the other stuff they must all be Bluetooth ??

Last edited:
With regards to the UK, there are downloadable maps showing where the LPG stations are.

If you have an external filling point................. and this really is an important best to do option, then you shouldn't have any problems filling an on board refillable tank wherever you are in either the UK or overseas just as long as you have the correct adapters which are available from the likes of Gasit.

The tank I have is a lightweight glassfibre SafeFill tank that doesn't have 2 entry points into the tank, so in theory with these tanks you can normally only ever refill them by removing the regulator and in most cases that means removing them from the cupboard you have them fitted into. But in my case I have fitted an external filling point and all I do now is to swap over the pipes before going to a filling station, which is more than somewhat of a PITA! So I would never advise anyone to buy a SafeFill tank as a lot of refilling stations in the UK refuse to allow them to be refilled and overseas it is a big NO.

Mine is a self built camper which I built to an as light as possible mindset when building her. If I was doing it again I would only go for an Alugas aluminium cylinder, but they are damned expensive https://www.autogasshop.co.uk/alugas-lightweight-alloy-bottles-111-c.asp

Other cylinder of the internal, inside the van types are available from the likes of GASIT http://www.gasit.co.uk/ or GASLOW https://www.gaslowdirect.com/ but as they are made from mild steel they are considerably heavier but one hell of a lot less expensive................ and then finally you can go for an underslung gas tank as most people appear to do and these are available from both of the companies listed above, who also offer a fitting service.
If fitting an underslung tank you would be best advised to treat the body of the tank to a good few coats of underseal as they do tend to rust.

Good luck

Phil
That is really helpful. Thanks Peter

I’ve just done the journey to Portugal for the fourth time, I’ve learnt quite a lot.
If you’re going to Spain/Portugal then it’s ok to use French toll roads in moderation. They save an awful lot of ‘meandering ‘ and, when you take into consideration fuel and time penalties, can be financially prudent. We usually keep to the west of France with Rouen as the fly in the ointment. There is an easy way through the city by keeping to the east of the river Seine. We head towards Bordeaux and actually cross into Spain via the A63 (France) and AP1 (Spain). The never ending roadworks are now complete making that part of the trip a total breeze.
Spain and Portugal have many fine roads which are both fast and wide. There are many filling stations and service areas so fuel for van and you are in plentiful supply.
It’s quite easy to drive 300 miles a day, but you don’t have to. Get a good up to date satnav and use it in conjunction to a road atlas.
Any other info just ask.....and enjoy your trip.

You can download areas Google maps to use then off line. They last a month then have to be downloaded again. Saves on mobile Internet.
Some French motorways are too free. They are marked with a different colour on the maps.
Enjoy
SueS

Good luck

Phil
I also have a safefill system. 2 x bottles which we do manage to fill in Europe but it is an issue. Would be interested to see the external filling point you have fitted to help resolve this?

Debbi

I also have a safefill system. 2 x bottles which we do manage to fill in Europe but it is an issue. Would be interested to see the external filling point you have fitted to help resolve this?

Debbi

After a long chat with the boss of Gasit (who was exceptionally helpful and indeed complimentary about SafeFill tanks) I bought a standard Gasit wall fit refilling point, a right-angle bend to attach to the inside of the filling point, 1 mtr. of high pressure hose, a pigtail and an inline on off lever valve.

All I do now whenever I need to refill is to turn off and disconnect the regulator from the top of the tank and screw on the pigtail from the filling point and then when fully secure open up both the top of the tank as well as the inline valve. I admit it is a weee bit of a faff to do this, but it does result in me being able to refill my cylinder anywhere in the UK and Europe.

Sorry @DebnMark I don't have an image of the actual wall mounted refilling point, but it is exactly the same as those fitted to any van with a Gasit installation.

RSafeFill3.jpgSafeFill2.JPG
Phil

Here’s mine with the external filling point.

The big downside with the SafeFill tanks is that they only have a single inlet/outlet into the tank unlike all other refillable tanks that I know of which have one hole for the filling and another for the taking out.
I only fitted the SafeFill tank because I was more than somewhat paranoid about weight throughout my build. When I do my next build I will be fitting an almost as light but more expensive Alugas tank purely because they have twin entry points.

I know sometimes things go a little off thread. Going from asking if a route I found was suitable into Spain from France, to what is the better gas cylinder to buy, is one hell of a leap.
Not having a pop, I’m as much to blame as anyone for doing this to other threads. Plus of course I get 10 bonus points every time someone posts. But, let’s face it, if you want information about gas cylinders, one of the last places to look would be on a travel thread. Having said that, if you’re happy to carry on, fill yer boots.
Oh! Another 10 points. Lol

Wot you think this is, Del, a Penguin Travel Guide?! :p :)

You need a Mister/Mistress Speaker of the thread to call the House to order if you want it to stick to the script - good luck! :LOL: ;) :)

So, where are your wheels parked up now?

Marie Bercow, now there’s a thing. “ Order, order”,
On ‘tother site there’s an “ off topic” emoji. Couldn’t find one on here.
Hey, as I said, I go off piste enough times, I’ll not be stopping any one else. Ten bonus points and all.

And what do points do ? Stop trains colliding into each other ?

You're going off topic, Del Boy.

I asked where your wheels were parked up ... ;) :)

Demi is still on our drive, just realised it’s not taxed, so just as well. I’ll get that done today.
I’ve still got a couple of jobs to do on it today. Then into town, for IDP’s x2 , sort travel money ‘n stuff. Booked ferry yesterday, saved a a fiver, booking through CC&C.
You and I both know someone will say, “You would have saved much more by booking through X,Y or Z”. I know, I’d saved much more by not going, and that ain’t going to happen.
Will keep you advised.
Btw . Where’s yours? Lol

Now taxed. I’ve lost weight, I’m now 255 pounds lighter.?

Last edited:
Demi is still on our drive, just realised it’s not taxed, so just as well. I’ll get that done today.
I’ve still got a couple of jobs to do on it today. Then into town, for IDP’s x2 , sort travel money ‘n stuff. Booked ferry yesterday, saved a a fiver, booking through CC&C.
You and I both know someone will say, “You would have saved much more by booking through X,Y or Z”. I know, I’d saved much more by not going, and that ain’t going to happen.
Will keep you advised.
Btw . Where’s yours? Lol

Now taxed. I’ve lost weight, I’m now 255 pounds lighter.?

That was a bit below the belt, you rotter, Trotter! :p :)

Still looking. Hoping a tax perk from the revenue man in April will add to the savings and help go towards a much better van in the end.
'Tis a waiting game, but we'll get there ;)

Get it sorted soon, otherwise I’ll be missing Neil, and eh!"........ You of course, yes , eh you. Init.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back