The perfect motorhome community, a question for you.

Admin

Administator

I have a question for you and I would really appreciate you thinking about this and giving me an answer.

Motorhomer.com is still fluid at the moment and we can shape this community however we wish. I have the task of delivering the best motorhome community and I want to make sure I get it right.

What do you want motorhomer.com to be?

Please tell me what features, forums, events, rallies, merchandise, raffles, competitions and discounts that you would like me to deliver for you.

I have noticed a few members who are really putting their time and effort into contributing to the site , what about some sort of nomination system. and every month we could have one of the names highlighted as the member of the month , or even more tham one member of the month ,and the next month the same again

One thing that I would like to see and it would be very useful.
A dedicated Motorhome Technical Information Forum, with a sub forum for each of Motorhome brand.
eg and there are many more
MOTORHOME TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE

Autotrail
Bailey
Burstner
Defthless
Devon
Eriba
Euromobile
Frankia
Giest
Hymer
McLouis
Rollerteam
Swift

I see a bit selective aren’t we Rapido not even on the list I’m hurt.??

I’d say it’s important to have a stand presence at the big shows, with dedicated areas for members to camp there. I think that many members of other organisations have their membership solely because of this.
The credits system and raffles are a great selling point.
The friendliness and helpfulness within the forums is great at present and can hopefully be maintained as the inevitable growth continues.
Longer term possibly a network of CL/CS type sites would be great.
Obviously the app will be a great asset when it is finalised.
Good luck with the discount negotiations.

I enjoy the forum and thank you for your hard work

What doesn't work for me is the word puzzle things though it certainly does for some members looking ar their credit totals ( credit envy !)

I enjoy the technical side and travel ideas hints / tips

I have noticed a few members who are really putting their time and effort into contributing to the site , what about some sort of nomination system. and every month we could have one of the names highlighted as the member of the month , or even more tham one member of the month ,and the next month the same again

Perhaps a recognition for post of the week/month as opposed to member recognition. I say that because if there were member of the month type recognition it may well lead poorer quality content of posts. What I mean is that The quality of content of posts should be what matters, not the number of posts a particular member makes. However, I like you appreciate people who take the time and make the effort contribute and make the site as successful as is.

I agree with Wully... a section of hints, tips and information for new motorhomers would be excellent. The Caravan Club have a section they call 'Advice and Training' and I remember poring over it when we first got the van, looking for anything and everything that would help! I also remember downloading pdf fact sheets about things like, lpg, storage, batteries, tyres, driving tips, etc. Theirs isn't great but ours could be (y) Going beyond that, a really organised section giving technical advice and step by step how-to guides would be so helpful. I try very hard to follow technical threads but everyone has different opinions on the right way to go and that often confuses me. We still need all the member debate and input, of course, especially for those who understand the subject a bit already to exchange ideas but for the clueless, a question on open forum can be a minefield :eek:

Could we build up a list of gas and solar installers, electricians, engineers, workshops, etc, etc, that people recommend. I often see recommendations on various threads but how good would it be to have that data in one place?

Our own space and stand at shows would be amazing, as would an affiliation with a network of CLs and maybe pubs too, if that's possible. The proposed app will be a winner too. I absolutely love the meets and social side of the fourm and the events team are pure magic. I'm sure lots of us toy with ideas about good places for a meet but I know I don't have the confidence or skills to approach them and start negotiations... it's too important to mess up! Maybe a process or forum section could be established, where we can put forward venue suggestions, so that the magicians can step in and wave their negotiating wands? Actually organising and running the meet could be delegated back, if necessary.

Not sure quite why but the idea of a poster of the month, etc, doesn't sit comfortably with me. I think it's the memory of all those photos of employee of the month in Macdonalds... do they still do that? :unsure: The credits system already goes some way to rewarding those who post good content, via the 'likes' etc. Visible appreciation and reward could be good but not sure how best to handle that. Free entries into the raffles maybe?

I agree with Wully... a section of hints, tips and information for new motorhomers would be excellent. The Caravan Club have a section they call 'Advice and Training' and I remember poring over it when we first got the van, looking for anything and everything that would help! I also remember downloading pdf fact sheets about things like, lpg, storage, batteries, tyres, driving tips, etc. Theirs isn't great but ours could be (y) Going beyond that, a really organised section giving technical advice and step by step how-to guides would be so helpful. I try very hard to follow technical threads but everyone has different opinions on the right way to go and that often confuses me. We still need all the member debate and input, of course, especially for those who understand the subject a bit already to exchange ideas but for the clueless, a question on open forum can be a minefield :eek:

Could we build up a list of gas and solar installers, electricians, engineers, workshops, etc, etc, that people recommend. I often see recommendations on various threads but how good would it be to have that data in one place?

Our own space and stand at shows would be amazing, as would an affiliation with a network of CLs and maybe pubs too, if that's possible. The proposed app will be a winner too. I absolutely love the meets and social side of the fourm and the events team are pure magic. I'm sure lots of us toy with ideas about good places for a meet but I know I don't have the confidence or skills to approach them and start negotiations... it's too important to mess up! Maybe a process or forum section could be established, where we can put forward venue suggestions, so that the magicians can step in and wave their negotiating wands? Actually organising and running the meet could be delegated back, if necessary.

Not sure quite why but the idea of a poster of the month, etc, doesn't sit comfortably with me. I think it's the memory of all those photos of employee of the month in Macdonalds... do they still do that? :unsure: The credits system already goes some way to rewarding those who post good content, via the 'likes' etc. Visible appreciation and reward could be good but not sure how best to handle that. Free entries into the raffles maybe?

Some good points there Jen and I agree about 'poster of the month', I think any system that selects members as being 'better' than others is a recipe for bovver, :)

Personally I find the banter/responses as it is are great and will improve as the membership grows.

Agree details of basic sites at reduced prices would be useful pubs and perhaps marinas as the aires on Spain seem to often be adjacent to.

What about members allowing driveway parking and access to electric in garage (key safe), outside tap and manhole access when away or generally?

Technical information by brand also useful as is on motorhomefacts.

Some good points there Jen and I agree about 'poster of the month', I think any system that selects members as being 'better' than others is a recipe for bovver, :)
Which is why, if there has to be something I think post of the week/month is far better than poster of the week/month. On other sites which I need not name, people do seem to post drivel just for the sake of doing it and presumably to get their post count up or name up. It’s always the same people and the danger with that is they tend dominate with the result that the site becomes less attractive to others. Being very active does not make a good member, it's content that counts. Of course if a member is more active than others with great content that’s brilliant.

Last edited:

Good points made Jen.
The technical aspect can be a minefield for those without much of a clue. The thing is, if you are going to have something done on your van, it helps to know a bit about it so you can pick the best person/ firm to do the work needed.

Which is why I requested a dedicated forum for each M/H brand where we can post problems and how we got over them

The downside of separating each brand so specifically is that a lot of motorhome issues/problems are either generic or are about the engine/mechanical side of things, so will apply to lots of brands that share the same engine. I don't think I've ever had a problem that was purely specific to my van - a Compass. Plus many manufacturers change things so much over the years that you could be looking at completely different beasts just a decade apart. The search facility or 'tags' could be the way to go for either side of this issue I guess... plus I could be missing an important factor, of course :)

Which is why, if there has to be something I think post of the week/month is far better than poster of the week/month. On other sites which I need not name, people do seem to post drivel just for the sake of doing it and presumably to get their post count up or name up. It’s always the same people and the danger with that is they tend dominate with the result that the site becomes less attractive to others. Being very active does not make a good member, it's content that counts. Of course if a member is more active than others with great content that’s brilliant.

I would just say that one person's drivel could be another person's cheery contact on a lonely day ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back