The perfect motorhome community, a question for you.

The downside of separating each brand so specifically is that a lot of motorhome issues/problems are either generic or are about the engine/mechanical side of things, so will apply to lots of brands that share the same engine. I don't think I've ever had a problem that was purely specific to my van - a Compass. Plus many manufacturers change things so much over the years that you could be looking at completely different beasts just a decade apart. The search facility or 'tags' could be the way to go for either side of this issue I guess... plus I could be missing an important factor, of course :)

The issue that the base vehicles may have similar problems needs to be considered, so one could miss it if it was in say, tribute, but a fiat base? And self builds could be missed too. I do think that there isa place for something of the sort, having searched for info on a particular type and ended up with countless , not particularly relevant, posts. Don't know the answer but I am sure Phil will work his magic and sort it!

I know lots of the same internal fittings are used in various makes, but many are not, and when doing jobs in the van or on the coachwork, only direct knowledge of the particular make answers the questions. Other forums have this and it works very very well. The old Facts was one of such!
As an example, the cracking Headlight issues on some Hymers, or how to change the beam from RHD to LHD. Gas locker size for different bottles, where the fuses are. These are just a few.
It really does work, well for me it does and did on the old facts

Excellent point ***** - I can honestly see how that's really helpful where oodles of folk have the same type of van and Hymer is the perfect example.

I guess I'm looking at it differently because I don't know anyone else on here or WC who has a Compass, so I'm positive I wouldn't be able to get help by brand. Now Peugeot Boxer would work for me, or Truma, Dometic, CTek, etc. Also, as Rec said, the brand system wouldn't help with self-builds. Plus, if you post a question in an Autosleeper section, it's likely that people who don't own Autosleepeers wouldn't even look to see if they could help. If we had a cross-referencing system, then many different approaches could work but I've certainly always had to put my faith in carefully-worded searches and keywords :)

What we don’t want is these duplicate threads if there is already a thread on a subject add to it instead of starting another obviously just for the points,
2 fishing threads
2 anniversary threads
2 about what you do in the van for winter.

I’ll go hide in a corner now ???

Oppy Thats a very good point you made regarding ageing base vehicles

So perhaps a list of stockists and refurbishers of parts for older base vehicles

I know my mate had serious trouble getting an ABS Pump for his 2006 Ducato camper was off the road for about 4 months

I get the van specific idea, and support it, but I think as has been said most problems are more generic so perhaps a more focussed section would help more people faster, so a general appliance technical forum, one for Thetford split into individual models with PDFs, ditto for Truma etc.

Adding to PB and others a technical library where we can store pdf versions of manuals for everything motorhome related from base vehicle to appliances and such. I recently got help from Trek with peripherials manuals and it is often not easy to find them especially for older models

How about a company reports section too, it needs to be honest and factual, not just opinion.

I think Phil would have to be very careful with that one with libel laws, it would need to be factual and provable.
I did think of a similar suggestion as yours but it could open a can of worms!
Maybe a disclaimer or something
I think Phil would have to be very careful with that one with libel laws, it would need to be factual and provable.
I did think of a similar suggestion as yours but it could open a can of worms!
Maybe a disclaimer or something

Yes, of course this is why I said" honest and factual", it would need to be (and probably already is, tis in mine) in the forum T&Cs that all post are the responsibility of the poster and not the forum owners.

Maybe we could do a charity thing and do the odd fund raising maybe a kids hospice or kids charity I’d realy like it if we could do something or anything along these lines. We have quite a few members and a little Bit here and there would make a big difference

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back