Thetford electric flush.

Sounds as if yours is the same as mine, which also has a fuse like the one in the photo. I'd be astonished if there was no fuse on yours.

I think that as my w.c doesn’t have its own pump but relies on the main water supply there will not be a fuse. Thanks anyway.

Mine has a fuse just inside the external door, and I only have one pump and that’s in the main water tank, used for all the taps

Sounds like we need another fix-it meet. Anyone?
Yes please can you all come to Portugal I can fit 12vans in the garden.

I am beginning to think I may have to pull the whole W.C out as it is impossible to get to the electric switches/connectors from the cassette door unless I can grow my arms 12 inches longer.

It sounds like you’ve got the old style Hymer with the long cassette and the rotary flush arrangement ?

OK, can you not completely remove the cassette and get to the switch either from the outside or through hole inside the van ?, if necessary use a mirror to look inside, also if you go to the Thetford site and check out their tutorials about servicing your unit, I've got the C200 and I'm sure that's not your model, what you need to do first is establish which model you've got, below are some links which may be helpful, on their site I can download just about everything (tutorial) for my C200, yours looks like it may be the C2, C3 or C4

Last edited:
OK, can you not completely remove the cassette and get to the switch either from the outside or through hole inside the van ?, if necessary use a mirror to look inside, also if you go to the Thetford site and check out their tutorials about servicing your unit, I've got the C200 and I'm sure that's not your model, what you need to do first is establish which model you've got, below are some links which may be helpful, on their site I can download just about everything (tutorial) for my C200, yours looks like it may be the C2, C3 or C4

Thank you so much for the links it would appear that I have the c2 / c3 I will investigate further when we get back but away at the moment and flushing with a pail . The joys of older vans.

failing all of that I would imagine it's only a duff micro switch, which is unusual as the current it uses/passes is minimal, but replacement switches are available from, Maplin, RS components, Farnel and many other places, I'll give you that it's probably tricky to replace, but not impossible, good luck

Remove the loo roll holder and see if there is an electric pump under it. If not, there will be a Solenoid to open the flush water valve (and you have a C3 model). If there is a separate water pump for the flush, you might even find the elusive fuse. ;)

away at the moment and flushing with a pail
Hmm. We try not to use any flush water. If you are careful, the waste goes straight down the hole.
If you want to do more, use a hand sprayer to rinse the bowl.
Using a pail to flush will dramatically reduce how long you can manage between empties.

Hmm. We try not to use any flush water. If you are careful, the waste goes straight down the hole.
If you want to do more, use a hand sprayer to rinse the bowl.
Using a pail to flush will dramatically reduce how long you can manage between empties.
Thanks you are correct that using a pail quickly fills the cassette but as we only go for two days at a time ( because of home commitments) it has not been a problem ,but today I suddenly realized that with the shower head just above the w.c. It was easier to use that. However when I got home today and removed the toilet roll holder and got a mirror I spotted a relay hidden at the most awkward position so after carefully removing it I found a lot of corrosion on the contacts have cleaned them but not sure how to test will find out tonight.

Thanks you are correct that using a pail quickly fills the cassette but as we only go for two days at a time ( because of home commitments) it has not been a problem ,but today I suddenly realized that with the shower head just above the w.c. It was easier to use that. However when I got home today and removed the toilet roll holder and got a mirror I spotted a relay hidden at the most awkward position so after carefully removing it I found a lot of corrosion on the contacts have cleaned them but not sure how to test will find out tonight.

Check the bottom of the relay there should be schematic diagram of the relay, there should what looks like a box with a line through it, with two lines, one in one out, they are the connections for the relay coil, put the pos/neg across them and you should hear/feel it “click”, most relays are normally open and normally closed and a common connection in

Check the bottom of the relay there should be schematic diagram of the relay, there should what looks like a box with a line through it, with two lines, one in one out, they are the connections for the relay coil, put the pos/neg across them and you should hear/feel it “click”, most relays are normally open and normally closed and a common connection in
Hi. I checked the relay and it is totally dead it appears that water has got into it from the shower I can only think that there was a leak at some point. On Monday I will go to our local town to try to get a replacement and then see what happens .
Thanks for your more than helpful support.

If you can’t get one in the town try Ebay and look for a 12v relay, it’s unlikely water has got in as they are normally sealed ?

If you can’t get one in the town try Ebay and look for a 12v relay, it’s unlikely water has got in as they are normally sealed ?
Hi . Managed to get a new relay today (had the old one tested it was completely dead ) fitted it this afternoon still not working! Back to the drawing board.

Not being funny are you sure you connected it correctly ?

Not being funny are you sure you connected it correctly ?
Thanks but as it is a plug in unit it must be correct I also checked that the pins were in the same position as the faulty unit .I will get the meter out today and see if can sort it.

Hi everyone.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse on the W.c electric flush on my elderly Hymer ? For some reason it’s stopped working I know water is getting to the unit because if the system is full a small amount runs into the bowl when the flusher is pressed but the pump fails to kick in ( works on all other taps) . Looking in from the cassette end I can see the bottom of the electric switch but to far to reach for investigation as it is old plastic I am unwilling to try removing without knowing how it dismantles.Any helpfully suggestions ?. Thanks in advance.
If you slip the cassette out you will see the 3 amp fuse ,it helps if you have a good torch. You cant miss it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back