Thinking of getting a romahome van. What are peoples opinions please.

Assuming you are thinking of one similar to the one in The Laird's link - I loved the one I had but there were downsides: mine was an old C15 base - don't be seduced by an old one of them, even if it looks nice, as body parts are hard to get now and they do rust a lot. Much better are the newer Berlingo based ones but even they are getting old now as Romahome don't make them anymore, haven't done for a good few years.
The single beds are very narrow.
There's a long overhang at the back.
Being front wheel drive and all the habitation weight at the back end, they really don't like wet grass, mud etc.
Beware of body swaps - as the habitation bit lasts a lot longer than the base vehicle there are a lot of cut 'n shuts about where folk have taken the fibreglass shell off an old C15 and stuck it on to a newer Berlingo and are passing it off as a genuine Romahome which it isn't. The genuine ones used a heavier chassis to support the weight. There is no way of knowing how well the swap has been done.
In my view, the ones currently being seen on the market are well overpriced for what they are.

However, you may be thinking of the Dimension or R30 which are van conversions? They are on SWB Fiat Ducatos and have a nice layout, but again they are fetching silly prices at the moment.
Thanks Caz. I am confused now and scared to make a decision They are very expensive but I don’t want a big van again.

don’t think Helen would get a C15 one though, she knows what the one I had was like and loved it…..din’t ya missus??!! x

I've owned a Romahome R20 for 10 years now and it is just perfect for the two of us. I use it all year round and with it's double skin with insulation it's warm in winter and cool in summer. As it is only 5 metres long it is agile, and drives like a car and we use it for everything now.
I think you will find an R20 just right.
Off on holiday again in an hour.

Excellent vans.

I had a 2005 HyLo with 2 HDi engine, achieved around 55mpg on a long run. Great for wildcamping, cosy all year round.
The only issue I ever had was with the rear overhang which caused grounding on steep ramps including a flood barrier at the end of our driveway. This won't affect the majority of users however.

They hold their value well and are currently appreciating with 10 year old vans now selling for more than their original purchase price.

I sold mine in 2020 and have regretted it every day since.

Roma home vastly overpriced and not worth it really, some buy them as too scared to buy a bigger van a scudo would be a better choice, if you know a joiner get them to help you build it, you can always get a electrician and plumber to fit the habitation stuff then have it checked, save thousands.

Reactions: MJK

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back