Those damnable and dangerous mobile phones!!

What I failed to add, and it’s a great favourite hate of mine is the number of people I see texting or twitting or whatever with the phone down in the lap, glancing up every now and again to check the road.

The punishment if/when caught is nowhere near sufficient. It’s a fine and 6 points. Not near enough.

Think of this, every now and again (or more) we all go over the national speed limits, 30,40,50 etc. whatever. A lot of the time it’s not deliberate, oops 35/36 in a 30. You get the idea. If caught it’s 3 points and £100 or so. You didn’t mean to, but you’re sorry and get punished.

Then there’s the drinker. Staggers out of the pub after a few beers or glasses of wine (women too) and unsteadily drives down the road and gets stopped and breathalysed. After blowing a small margin over, say 40, he gets arrested, blows over in the nick and finally has a day in court and 12 months ban and a hefty fine.

Damn good job too, it was a deliberate act to drink and drive. In no way at all accidental.

Then your telephoner/texter/tweeter despite it being a blatant deliberate defiance of the law only gets 6 points. Senseless.

Drive without insurance as I’ve seen often in the cops programmes, they confiscate the car immediately, and if circumstances allow it will end up crushed.

My way if I was in charge (?)

Drink drive - crush the car - explain that one to the transport manager ? plus a ban as already in force.

Texter/tweeter - crush the car - there can’t possibly be an excuse, plus a 12 month ban
Telephone call - circumstances could allow for it, so I’d leave that to the judge, but a severe fine and ban should be an option

You are most certainly right about texting when driving, I think that more dangerous than actually holding a phone to the ear, I don't approve of either of course.

What I failed to add, and it’s a great favourite hate of mine is the number of people I see texting or twitting or whatever with the phone down in the lap, glancing up every now and again to check the road.

The punishment if/when caught is nowhere near sufficient. It’s a fine and 6 points. Not near enough.

Think of this, every now and again (or more) we all go over the national speed limits, 30,40,50 etc. whatever. A lot of the time it’s not deliberate, oops 35/36 in a 30. You get the idea. If caught it’s 3 points and £100 or so. You didn’t mean to, but you’re sorry and get punished.

Then there’s the drinker. Staggers out of the pub after a few beers or glasses of wine (women too) and unsteadily drives down the road and gets stopped and breathalysed. After blowing a small margin over, say 40, he gets arrested, blows over in the nick and finally has a day in court and 12 months ban and a hefty fine.

Damn good job too, it was a deliberate act to drink and drive. In no way at all accidental.

Then your telephoner/texter/tweeter despite it being a blatant deliberate defiance of the law only gets 6 points. Senseless.

Drive without insurance as I’ve seen often in the cops programmes, they confiscate the car immediately, and if circumstances allow it will end up crushed.

My way if I was in charge (?)

Drink drive - crush the car - explain that one to the transport manager ? plus a ban as already in force.

Texter/tweeter - crush the car - there can’t possibly be an excuse, plus a 12 month ban
Telephone call - circumstances could allow for it, so I’d leave that to the judge, but a severe fine and ban should be an option
Environmently friendly chap,and it may not be there car.

Just seen a perfect example of how life or so many has been ruined by these infernal devices!!

I was out with my dogs this morning and there on the other side of the playing field was a mature woman walking her black lab.
The dog was doing whatever he wanted to do and in any case she couldn't care less as she was walking eyes locked onto her bloody phone, did she see her dog do hi enormous pile on the playing field, like hell she did as she was so totally absorbed by her bloody phone!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Just seen a perfect example of how life or so many has been ruined by these infernal devices!!

I was out with my dogs this morning and there on the other side of the playing field was a mature woman walking her black lab.
The dog was doing whatever he wanted to do and in any case she couldn't care less as she was walking eyes locked onto her bloody phone, did she see her dog do hi enormous pile on the playing field, like hell she did as she was so totally absorbed by her bloody phone!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Perhaps she was downloading the dog poo cleaning up app? ;)

It was simply her inattentive wandering. Not the fault of the mobile phone, just the way she was using it and she may not have cared less anyways, she could equally have been distracted by a demanding child and you wouldn’t say children ruin People’s lives. . Presumably you gave her a shout to draw her attention to the dogs doings.

She was probably using the phone as an excuse to NOT watch her dog, and have an excuse to NOT pick up the sh1t.

Even in hospitals the people laying in beds are texting away

It was simply her inattentive wandering. Not the fault of the mobile phone, just the way she was using it and she may not have cared less anyways, she could equally have been distracted by a demanding child and you wouldn’t say children ruin People’s lives. . Presumably you gave her a shout to draw her attention to the dogs doings.

No I didn't give her a shout as she was too far away and as for children Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, could my general dislike of the vast majority of them be the reason why I built and ran 2 adult only caravan sites when living in France?

Technology exists that could prevent phones working inside vehicles. Rather than making it law that all new vehicles are fitted with a "jammer" the government is more content to have the courts fine some one for using a phone.

The most dangerous instance of phone use I have seen was an articulated lorry reversing along a main road to back into a side road - and holding a phone to his ear all the time.

Technology exists that could prevent phones working inside vehicles. Rather than making it law that all new vehicles are fitted with a "jammer" the government is more content to have the courts fine some one for using a phone.

And in the meantime how many lives will be lost in major RTA's all thanks to these damnable things!

Cars Vans Trucks and indeed motorhomes cause deaths..
I suggest a man/woman with a red flag should walk in front.

But seriously using a standard phone is simply deadly !

The most dangerous instance of phone use I have seen was an articulated lorry reversing along a main road to back into a side road - and holding a phone to his ear all the time.

Sounds terrible, how many people died when he crashed?

In line with damnable mobile phone usage, may I suggest the restricted use of all other electronic communication devices such as computers, laptops, tablets etc.? :cool:

Also can we restrict access to websites like this for.... I dunno... er.... say... half hour in the morning & another half hour in the evening? Or would you say that's too long? Maybe just 15 minutes morning & evening? :unsure: :oops:

That way everyone can crack on doing more 'normal' stuff like a job of work - as long as it doesn't require any form of electronic communication with others of course ;) - housework, gardening, babysitting, eating out, enjoying hobbies, (even playing golf, God forbid!), singing, dancing etc. etc. etc. without interruption.

I have a sister who refuses to switch her mobile on and will never use it at all except for 'emergencies' - which will be no good at all as she'll have forgotten how the bl**dy thing works when that happens!

It drives me INSANE!!! :p:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Personally I couldn't really function in the modern world without both a mobile phone and my computer. Just sayin' :)

Mobiles phones are a fact of life, they are here to stay and you have to learn to live with that I guess.

However, I agree with the poster about their use anywhere & everywhere and in all manner of situations.

It is not the mobile phone that is dangerous, but the people that use them. I have two but not one App on any of them, people who say their life is on the phone, in my opinion are sad people, if it gets lost or stolen do thay die, I bet most do not have a back up of their life. People are their own enemy and make life to complicated.
As said my opinion.

Well, my mobile phone was a godsend today when I had a husband lying unconscious on the floor and needed an ambulance! It was also invaluable in getting a friend to collect me from the hospital and for keeping everyone informed. There are no longer public phones everywhere . I cannot understand why people who need them in the car do not use handsfree technology via Bluetooth?

i used to ride bikes till i got a few kids. when i got a car, i found it extremely easy to drive,you hardly have to think at all ! and you can make lots of minor mistakes that you wouldn't walk away from if you were on a bike
but biking taught me that it's the unexpected that will kill you , and i make a point of having as few distractions as possible while driving ,no radio,little conversation, and certainly no phone - especially when i see how many morons use them while driving a ton or more of metal that could crush me easily !

i used to ride bikes till i got a few kids. when i got a car, i found it extremely easy to drive,you hardly have to think at all ! and you can make lots of minor mistakes that you wouldn't walk away from if you were on a bike
but biking taught me that it's the unexpected that will kill you , and i make a point of having as few distractions as possible while driving ,no radio,little conversation, and certainly no phone - especially when i see how many morons use them while driving a ton or more of metal that could crush me easily !

100% agree with everything you write Nigel. ;)

Talking of morons, my next door neighbours must have one of the worst cases of muchus useus phonus as no matter what time of day they always have their bloody enormous, latest spec i-phones stuck to their bloody ears, it's no wonder that both of their cars have so many dents and scratches!!

I've seen so much bad driving it's unreal.

More often than not, by people who are NOT using a mobile phone.....

I've never understood smoking being allowed by a driver. "I know, let's give people small fires that could end up in their lap while they are in control of a big lump of metal at 70mph" Daft. But the government won't make as much money from fines as they do in tax on cigarettes, so it remains legal. Phones on the other hand...
Forty years ago, in my foolish youthful smoking days, my driving instructor spent time showing me how to light up, smoke and dispose of cigarettes safely whilst keeping my eyes on the road.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back