Timing Belt Change - Ducato 2.3 Multijet

When do you have the Timing/Cambelt Changed?

• On Mileage (no time limits). (add what mileage in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On Time (no mileage limits). (add what time in comments)

• Either Mileage or Time, whichever came first. (add the miles/time at the time replaced in comments)

• Not had it done. (add current miles and vehicle age in comments)

• Total voters
If the water pump is driven by cam belt then changing it with belt may be prudent - personally I'd use mileage as pump life.
If independent pump then just leave it alone.

Our van is a Citroen relay and was shocked when I took it for a service and said change cambelt and they told me it was a chain it's fitted with the ford transit engine same as Peugeot boxer I'm told

OK Dave but different vehicles to your Fiat, but for what it costs and for peace of mind I have mine changed on my vehicles at 5 years or 70.000 miles and at the same time I have the water pump and the auxiliary belts changed at the same time.

And because of my suspicious nature, I normally have a mechanic do the job on my drive so I can watch the job being done, or if you take your to a garage, I would put some kind of tell-tale mark on some of the nuts or mountings so that you know they have done the job they are being paid for........

At least on sensible vehicles like most of our vans the belt job can be done without having to remove too much whereas on some vehicles like my daily driver BMW which has a chain, but it is a very lightweight chain and so it needs changing at about 100k, well for this job they have to remove the bloody engine which is almost as bad as some Land Rover models where they have to remove the body!!

Yes - with the timing chain at the rear lifting the body off is how it's done.
At least the design allows for it with long electrical cables etc

My rule of thumb is every 40k or 5 years. Might seem a bit over cautious to some but don't fancy the alternative. At the moment it looks like we're going nowhere so every 5 years. Do water pump too, had mine done 2 years ago cost £350 with oil & filters changed too.

My engine is renault 2.5DCI so not directly relevant
The first owners and I (whilst still working) did very limited mileage
Since retiring we do 6,000 plus.
in 2018 at 40,000 mileage (too little ?) and aged 12 (too long ?) I had a new cambelt and associated items about £400 !
Not planning to do again until 100,000 miles

I’ve already replied earlier, but yesterday I picked up all the bits to aid with my service, fuel filter isn’t shown in the picture, but it is there in the other along with the special tool needed. Even inanimate objects deserve a nice Christmas present ADD18CEA-B11C-4757-A9EE-0BCFA35D1DF3.jpeg6369DBDB-CD12-4F08-963B-0DC0685F5E20.jpeg

Just had mine done at five years but no where near the mileage. I think on low mileage it is even more important to stick to the date change as the belt sits for long periods in one place and develops a slight "set" so causing some stress when it starts to move again. Water pump replaced last time so only every other belt change on low mileages for me. I must admit in the days of a duplex timing chain on my old Cooper S worries such as this were unheard of. You always knew the timing chain was OK by the rattle. Nowadays it would be called an "audio sensor".

thanks, but I don't think Skoda fit Fiat engines. (very different interval recommendations for different manufacturers)

I assume you meant your Skoda Yeti car? unless your camper is called "Yeti"?
Geoff is in the North East, everything is yeti there :)

Change the belt. If you dont you will worry about it until you do.
My 2004 2.8 JTD Ducato belt was changed each 60k miles and last time it cost me just under £300 (2018) incl water pump and tensioners, by a local indie.
I now have a 3.0 160 multijet with chain but remember when the chain on my Mitsubishi 2.8 Pajero snapped and effectively wrote the car off 😣 so chains are less hassle regarding maintenance but cannot be ignored (or at least the chain tensioner needs to be watched)
K;)

Hi all. After reading on here Peugeot boxer has a chain belt. I verified with the garage that does my Peugeot boxer 2.2hdi engine 2015. That they had said at my last service that the timing belt was due a change beginning 2021. They said yes it was due to a change. I said no it's chain. They opened the bonnet and said. That bit by the fan belt if it's plastic it's belt. If metal it's chain. Mines plastic = belt. They then pointed out afew other things that indicated belt. Checking handbook= belt. So where I thought that I was alright mine was chain. I have found out different. So if you have a Peugeot boxer check with handbook / mechanic visual. Not what we read. Also found out that 2011 Land Rover freelander has the same engine as my Peugeot boxer and that is belt. ,,I get 30 to the gallon boxer. 22 to freelander,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet to find out. If it is a ford engine or. ,,,,,reason I have put this on the forum is that I have learnt so much from the forum. And this was the First t.time I was getting. Or reading/ understanding wrong. Thanks for all help advice on all else. Love reading. Following your threads brian

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back