Tow car and trailer WANTED

If you have B+E on your licence when you reach 70 it will expire but you can renew it for 3 years and you will retain your BE entitlement which as you past your test before 1997 you can tow up to a MAM of 8.25 tonnes.
No test involved but you may need a medical same as retaining C1 for driving a motorhome over 3.5 tonnes
That’s bloody good news Pete, thanks for that. I will be able to sleep tonight.
I have BE and C1 plus a host of other ones as well, I am reasonably confident about the impending medical but wasn’t sure how often I needed to ‘take a test’.

That also includes the C1. I believe.
Absolutely! :) Sorry David, that's what I meant... they're the same car as the C1 that Rog likes. There's also a little Hyundai - 110i I think - that's similar but not part of the consortium. I remember we test drove that too but preferred the others. Probably heaps more now because the city cars became really popular.

Hope someone else finds this reply useful
Thank you for your enquiry received on 19/7/2019.
Your case reference number is 01643389.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to get in contact regarding your enquiry.

To confirm you will not need to sit another driving test however, if you wish to keep these higher entitlements when you reapply at the age of 70,we recommend that you check with your doctor to make sure you can meet the higher medical standards for driving these vehicles before applying.

Please note, when you receive your renewal form, it will be for car and motorcycle renewal only. When you receive this form if you decide you wish to renew and C1 / D1 entitlements, you will need to complete a D2 application form and a D4 medical report.

These can be ordered here. Alternatively, you can get them from selected Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.

I will advise that the renewal form is sent out approximately 90 days before your renewal is due. Please do not submit the D2 & D4 form before you receive the initial renewal reminder as it will be too early to process your application.

If you require assistance when you receive the renewal reminder, you may call our Contact Centre on:

0300 790 6801
(Monday to Friday 8.00am to 7.00pm and Saturday 8.00am to 2.00pm)

We will then be able to provide up to date advice closer to the time your renewal is due.

I hope this helps you with your enquiry.

The D4 has a limited duration of validity so you cant do the medical and eyetest too early .

That's actually a very helpful sounding reply from DVSA.
I read it as saying apply as soon as you get the initial reminder.
Bit if you need time to arrAnge medical report time that to be done c90 days before your birthday.
I would recommend that you keep copies of correspondence and send recorded delivery so when/If they lose/delay paperwork you can be one step ahead.
I have been advised to never do anything medical by phone or internet with DVSA as then wrong box could be ticked by mistake and you could lose everything.

Rodger looks like you’ve already picked up a good wee trailer don’t know if you’ve got a wee car yet but try and pick up one already fitted with an A frame that way you’re covering all the bases you can tow the car without the trailer if you’re going somewhere with restricted space I picked a cracking low mileage fiat 500 up on eBay last year happy hunting.

Rodger looks like you’ve already picked up a good wee trailer don’t know if you’ve got a wee car yet but try and pick up one already fitted with an A frame that way you’re covering all the bases you can tow the car without the trailer if you’re going somewhere with restricted space I picked a cracking low mileage fiat 500 up on eBay last year happy hunting.
That is a good idea, plus you can rent the trailer out to members going to Spain because you can still take the car with you in the UK, good business opportunity Rog(y)

Thanks Wully, we are still looking for the right car, but that’s a good tip.

That is a good idea, plus you can rent the trailer out to members going to Spain because you can still take the car with you in the UK, good business opportunity Rog(y)

As I understand it Terry, France are now insisting that tow cars are on a trailer as well as Spain. Seems like it’s going to affect everyone before long.

I don’t want to be the one to rain on your parade Rog. But..... I’ve owned a 107 for about 5 years. I use it to get to work. I wouldn’t want to use it for anything else. It’s great on fuel and, er, um, that’s about it. It’s uncomfortable, noisy, the mirrors are there only to slow the car down, I’ve developed,I hope, a sixth sense as to where another vehicle might be. It’s a bit of a chocolate teapot tbh. Every morning I wake up and look out of the window to find it’s not been stolen, I think, oh well, maybe tomorrow.
The 108 could be better, although I doubt it.

Be careful what you wish for Big D, I might pass by, with my trailer and ‘borrow’ your car!
Thanks for the input though.
Because Chris is not to good on her feet at the moment, we just want to be able to enjoy the places we go to, without her having to walk too far.

With apologies to Trotter, allow me to introduce ‘Poppy’.
With luck and a fair wind we will be bringing her to forthcoming Meets so that Chris can get out and about.
We have booked the car/trailer on the Chunnel in a few days time to see how we get on with it. Fingers crossed!C3FAB561-EA92-4F02-A1F2-320DA8797AC6.jpeg

With apologies to Trotter, allow me to introduce ‘Poppy’.
With luck and a fair wind we will be bringing her to forthcoming Meets so that Chris can get out and about.
We have booked the car/trailer on the Chunnel in a few days time to see how we get on with it. Fingers crossed!View attachment 48700
This gets worse Rog. Poppy is the name of our daughter’s dog. Nuf to say, I’m not a dog person. So you’ve got a yellow 107 called Poppy? That sound you can hear is my mind boggling.
Btw. There’s nothing in Motorhomer rule book that says I’ve got to be a dog lover.?

This gets worse Rog. Poppy is the name of our daughter’s dog. Nuf to say, I’m not a dog person. So you’ve got a yellow 107 called Poppy? That sound you can hear is my mind boggling.
Btw. There’s nothing in Motorhomer rule book that says I’ve got to be a dog lover.?
Just seen the link. It’s a yellow one in disguise.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back