Tow car and trailer WANTED

Morning Rog

How do you go with train weight and the like? Looking at our max train weight it would seem the trailer/tow car is limited to 1000kg. I can't see your weights being greatly different to ours but I'd guess the trailer and car add up to more than 1000kg.

Here's our plate.

IMG_6828.jpg

IMG_6829.JPG

Cheers

H

I was going to ask about trailer nose weight - it'll be what it is as it doesn't look as if the car will go much further back.
Only think to look out for is to ensure that front axle load doesn't drop too much.

Morning Rog

How do you go with train weight and the like? Looking at our max train weight it would seem the trailer/tow car is limited to 1000kg. I can't see your weights being greatly different to ours but I'd guess the trailer and car add up to more than 1000kg.

Here's our plate.

View attachment 49057

Cheers

H
Hi, in your van, the difference in GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and GTW (Gross Train Weight) may be just 1,000Kg, but it does not actually mean you are necessarily limited to just 1,000kg on the trailer - For example if your van is 500kg under the GVW, that 'spare' 500Kg could potentially be used on the trailer and give you a trailer weight of 1,500Kg (actual towing limits are not detailed on the VIN but should be in the vehicle documentation).

Obviously different vans have different limits so it might actually be the case that the difference in GTW and GVW happens to also be the max towing limit regardless (it is on my VW LT I think) but worth checking further (especially if the difference is just 1,000Kg as that would be a very low limit)

I was going to ask about trailer nose weight - it'll be what it is as it doesn't look as if the car will go much further back.
Only think to look out for is to ensure that front axle load doesn't drop too much.
I guess you could reverse the car onto the trailer to distribute the weight further back if need be?

Brian James make good quality trailers and that one is designed for the size of car Rog has bought so I don't see the nose weight being a problem or every owner of the same trailer would be having problems, definitely don't reverse it on they are not designed for that

Rog has got a great solution - the trailer matches the car and the combination is the minimum to match his requirements.
If we have to trailer a car - and with an actively braked A frame I cant see any reason for it, this is what has to be done.
I see the point about anything with brakes being towed having them work but why not accept that as the specification.
We have rules that remove a decent engineering solution for one that any policeman can enforce.
I'm afraid that I consider perching a car up on 2 wheeled passively braked trailer is probably less safe than a proper A frame set up with a lower centre of gravity and 4 brakes at each corner of the vehicle.
Anyway only a couple of months before we have any further influence on the situation!
Have a great holiday!

Good idea re drop plate as trailer nose up , not the best ideally , just be careful with drop plate fitted if going onto ferry or other ramps , Luckily you have ability to pump air suspension up if needed for clearance. Have you checked trailer for nose weight ?
Have fitted the drop plate, firstly lowering by 100mm, which was too low, and then by 50mm which appears to be just right.
I have also turned the car round and reversed it onto the trailer, which allows it to sit much further forward on the trailer. Tomorrow I will give it the final tweek, by rolling the car forwards and backwards to find the best position, before strapping her down. Anybody seen the bathroom scales?

It’s important to load a car forwards on a trailer for stability when towing.

It's not specifically of where the engine is but there must be positive drawbar load.
In video you can see the back of the car lift up significantly reducing rear axle load.
On a motorhome you will always have a good load on the rear axle
But as I say there must be some drawbar weight.
I'm sure you'll get a good balance.

Last edited:
It is very unusual to fit a front engined car on a trailer facing rearwards as it makes it very difficult to get noseweight correct , so usually only VW and to a lesser extend Porsche . it also makes moments of inertia more likely to be a problem .

It is very unusual to fit a front engined car on a trailer facing rearwards as it makes it very difficult to get noseweight correct , so usually only VW and to a lesser extend Porsche . it also makes moments of inertia more likely to be a problem .
Moments of inertia means your arse will swing about just say it as it is we’re all grown ups ??
I’ve seen roger on the dance floor he has full control on his arse

Well there’s one thing for sure it’ll be cleanest. ? You’re set up looks good Rodger funny motorhoming you try to fix one problem then create another try taking it for a run I think it looks ok.

Your train weight might be quite critical kerb weight 107 800kg approx BJ micromax mam 1300kg load 1000kg so unladen 300kg so min trailer weight loaded 1100kg @RoaminRog

Your train weight might be quite critical kerb weight 107 800kg approx BJ micromax mam 1300kg load 1000kg so unladen 300kg so min trailer weight loaded 1100kg @RoaminRog
No that’s ok, gross train weight is fine, your calculations were pretty much spot on. The loaded trailer weighs 1120kg.
Front axle is underweight, trailer is underweight, slightly concerned about rear axle, but not desperately, and the MAM is well under, so we will see what happens tomorrow.

Well here we in Coquelles, just off the train.

and I must confess I would have preferred the car forward facing, there were a couple of instances on the M20 when I wasn’t really relaxed but....... we made it, and that’s the important bit.
I might try turning it round again tomorrow, before we set off to Dinan.
Only had three hours sleep this morning, after my night shift, so all I want to do now is sleep! Another day tomorrow!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back