Tow car and trailer WANTED

Don't get too used to the room ?
I take it that they weren't getting a defective EGR read out from diagnostics?
If it feels that exhaust is blocked maybe if you have DPF, it could be that is blocked because with the extra load and presumably slower running it hasn't regenerated?
Sorry if you've already ruled this out - would probably have shown on dash?
Hopefully they'll sort it quickly and cheaply in the morning.

Don't get too used to the room ?
I take it that they weren't getting a defective EGR read out from diagnostics?
If it feels that exhaust is blocked maybe if you have DPF, it could be that is blocked because with the extra load and presumably slower running it hasn't regenerated?
Sorry if you've already ruled this out - would probably have shown on dash?
Hopefully they'll sort it quickly and cheaply in the morning.
Sorry Mark, what’s a DPF?
He couldn’t find any faults on the diagnostic machine and certainly no warning lights on the dash.

Sorry Mark, what’s a DPF?
He couldn’t find any faults on the diagnostic machine and certainly no warning lights on the dash.

Diesel particulate filter. I don’t think you’ve got one.

Edited to apologise for being too slow. ?

A bit of advice re securing car to trailer . I have transported vehicles for a very good part of my life , so based on that suggest that you dont try and tie down the body , you have the straps going thru the eyes on rear of body , two things the straps will end up getting destroyed by the chaffing . It will also cause the tyre securing part to move as it will be going loose and tight over bumps . Just use the straps and chokers to secure the tyres/wheels If you want its good to use a secondary means to stop the car leaving the trailer , eg a slack chain with shackles into the eyes where the straps are threaded thru at the moment , try and fix them in a horizontal manner so that the pitching doesnt cause any jarring . @RoaminRog

We got the van back around 11am this morning, after a phonecall to the hotel. When we arrived, they were still de-coking the engine, with a pipe connected to the air filter, and the engine running at fairly high revs.
The basic message was that I was driving it too slowly and had managed to gunge the engine up, and therefore had to boot it to keep it clean internally.
I must confess that I am not particularly fond of using the Automatic option, because I don’t trust the high revs that it demands before changing up, especially first thing in the morning, for example, driving today using Auto we were doing 105km/hr in fifth gear and it had no intention of changing into sixth.
Still, I suppose it won’t hurt to use revs to clean her out and burn any carbon off.
The garage were excellent, and deceivingly efficient and only charged me 170 euros for everything, which was quite a relief. She is flying along now.
We are in a campsite, close to Honfleur for a couple of nights now, before we head over to Dinan. Sadly the signal here is rubbish, and it seems to be very hit n miss with the phones as well.
Thanks for all your help and advice over the last few days, and I will definitely change the way I strap the car down!
The holiday starts HERE!
Regards Rog.?

Good advice there
In my early trucking days, I transported tractors on flat bed, 3 or 4 at a time and before ratchet straps had been invented
We roped the wheels with a cross and they never moved
Obviously tightened withbtruckers double dolly knot ( which acts as a sort of pulley)
Thanks Graham, I remember the days of ropes and dollys, but have no desire whatsoever to return to them!
The straps that I have are meant to go around the tyres, but the slots in the trailer don’t allow for it, so I have to make do, and hope for the best!

Rog
Your description of what they were doing when you returned sounds awfully like clearing a DPF.
If you have a common rail engine then you may well have one - your van handbook should say.
Anyway keeping the revs up when pulling up hills should keep the system hot enough to not clog up again.
Not too bad a bill for a few hours work.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back