Travel plans for 2020?

GMJ

How are the current issues regarding CV affecting your plans for 2020?

From our pov we have already postponed our trip to Sicily in May and now plan to go in Sept. This isn't too bad as we originally planned to go in Sept but whilst away in Spain recently decided to bring it forward.

We now plan to visit Bavaria in May but haven't booked anything yet as we will wait and see what happens in the coming weeks.

Aside from that the only trip we have planned is up to Cardiff/Cheltenham/Cirencester at the end of the month to visit the opera/family/friends. Hopefully that is still on.

I guess from our pov we expect this thing to burn out so we are just delaying booking anything until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

What about you folks?

Graham

Original plan was to Northern Spain mid May tour around for 3 weeks and then meet up with daughter and family flying in from Australia for a week in Prades south of Barcelona. Then through France to the Munich area for a week's work and tour the area for 3 weeks or so. No ferries booked.

And now! It all looks unlikely and client has postponed the work near Munich. So we will wait and see.

Just waiting for Euro Tunnel to say our crossing mid May is cancelled as France in lock down.😟😟. Hopefully we will be able to re-schedule for September 🤞

Our long trip to Northern Spain and back through France in June/July is off, will look to transfer our Santander crossing to later in the year for a France only shorter trip. Meanwhile we will look at a few of our favourite wilding options where we can self isolate etc ....... assuming we are allowed out in the van ............

Maybe a trip from Spain to the UK and back to our house if we can get through the lockdowns , but if not we will enjoy the costa sunshine :cool:. See you all in a couple of years :cautious::eek:🖐

We are booked on ferry to France in May to do some cycling, but I expect to cancel and perhaps re-book for September. After that we will be going to Spain beginning of December as usual, assuming things have settled down by then. But who knows? At the moment it's too soon to make any definite arrangements as there is no way of knowing what is going to happen, whether it will subside in a few weeks or a few months. I don't think it's a good idea to travel across the channel just now as it will only add to the problems people are facing and be unnecessarily risky for all. We will probably go somewhere in Scotland, as that's where we live, but avoid campsites and contact.

If we manage to get a seat on one of the last flights from San Diego we plan to hunker down at home, but unless things get much worse we’ll probably head somewhere very remote in the van by the weekend when cabin fever will be setting in.

Well we parked our van at alicante and flew home for two weeks just for birthdays and grandchildren now we are stuck here and the van is in alicante but even if we could get back to Spain would it be possible to move around in the van

Currently in Turkey. Number of cases went from 5 to 18 overnight so it has started to spread here finally. At the moment life is as normal here.
Borders to Georgia Azerbaijan and Amelia are all shut so we’ll wait and see if they reopen in a month or so. If here goes to lockdown, I know I would rather be in the van as we will suffer less cabin fever. Expect it will happen so up gradually stocking up on toilet roll etc.

@witzend - thanks for that, I was aware we could amend online. However as the bookings were using the frequent traveller scheme we really need Euro Tunnel to make an offer of extending the period the tickets cover.

Currently hiding in our place in Portugal, due back through tunnel end April. Seeing how it goes as the lockdowns are only for 2wks and allow people to travel to "habitual residence" . Have contact with one other UK couple nearby in similar position so going stir crazy together! The shops in local town are strictly enforcing social distance and only letting a couple of people in at a time also. Going out this morning for veg, which I can't seem to get delivered.. most other stuff currently has vans which will leave goods at the gate to the house. Just had twenty eggs left at door by a neighbour, making cakes and will leave some for them at their door later! Want to be back in UK as planned but we are lucky that we can stay here in pretty good isolation and sunshine if need to. Getting jobs done!

We have decided that we intend to go away for a few days here and there. Mrs GMJ falls into the 'At Risk' category but 12 weeks at home would drive her (and me) potty. Sooooo......

Find a site or CS/Cl thats pretty isolated (in the UK). Fill up with water/beer/food prior to leaving. Use your on board facilities. DON'T go to the pub but DO go for lots of walks out in the fresh air. Keep your distance if you meet someone.

That's our plan anyway

Graham

We were planning to go to the F1 GP in Barcelona in May but that has gone by the board, thankfully before anything was booked. May go for a late summer/ early autumn trip using the Tesco tokens and have bimble along the Rhine.

Cheers

H

Good that everyone is optimistic, but I don't think any of us will be going anywhere far away anytime soon.

They were mentioning on the news at various points today the possibility of 6 month lockdown and not just 3, and that precautions may last 18 months.

Nobody knows. We have no option but to sit tight and wait it out.

Next weekend camping...cancelled.
Easter....not happening.
Hereford.....doubtful?
Orkney......????

I'm being extra careful being in the "ask risk" group.

That said...shouldn't we all be considering others, and the possibility of infecting others?
Is it a great hardship to stay at home for a few months?

We were planning to go to the F1 GP in Barcelona in May but that has gone by the board, thankfully before anything was booked. May go for a late summer/ early autumn trip using the Tesco tokens and have bimble along the Rhine.

Cheers

H
We now know our Brittany ferries fare will be refunded by travel voucher valid for 12 months but Simon Calder this morning suggested we should hold out for cash refund.
I’m happy to support BF at this time of crisis as we hope to make autumn trip but is this a realistic possibility.
travel insurance won’t apply nationwide tell us unless it clears up significantly before we book something else!!!
😩😩

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back