Travel plans for 2020?

Good that everyone is optimistic, but I don't think any of us will be going anywhere far away anytime soon.

They were mentioning on the news at various points today the possibility of 6 month lockdown and not just 3, and that precautions may last 18 months.

Nobody knows. We have no option but to sit tight and wait it out.
Staying optimistic? Is there an alternative? Don’t think so. Even Sid and Dick looked cheerful when they left me 🤢
One thing I do know, we will get through this. Unless, of course we don’t. If the latter, you’d not be here to worry about it.
Oh! It’s staying cheerful that keeps me going 😬

East Sussex County Council has just sent out an email saying that today is the last day to borrow books as their libraries are all closing tonight. They add that return dates for all books currently on loan will be extended until at least 30th June 2020 and have scrapped fines.

Perhaps it's time to read the rest of my complete Dickens collection. :unsure:

I think there are way bigger things to worry about right now than travel vouchers and cash refunds.
Unless it will leave you hard up and unable to buy food to survive of course?

If you are back in the UK in your own homes then at least be very grateful for being relatively safe for now.

I know people's brains are having real difficulty catching up, but I think it's time to wake up properly and switch on to what's happening on the ground all around us.

Future holidays are the least of anyone's worries right now.

Just sayin' :)(y)

Stay safe and well.

We’re both at risk category, my wife more than most. So for now everything is cancelled. Maybe I’ll get a week in the MH while it’s stood in the driveway at home? 😉
’it’s a shame as I wanted to show off its new paintwork now I’ve tidied it all up. CFFFBA44-8E1A-4DDE-AF47-A7BEE85BB96C.jpeg77760DA5-20DE-4310-8081-27C2871EFBF8.jpeg

We’re both at risk category, my wife more than most. So for now everything is cancelled. Maybe I’ll get a week in the MH while it’s stood in the driveway at home? 😉

There have been arguments going back and forth the last few days about whether folk should get out and about in their motorhomes or not in these strange times.

Personally, I think that unless lockdown occurs that really restricts people's freedom of movement, and you take all necessary precautions for social distancing or self-isolation, there is no good reason for not taking off on short trips to stop you going stir crazy.

We are a band of people who are lucky enough to own a moho or campervan.
This puts us in a unique (and highly enviable!) position compared to the rest of the population.

As long as you are not taking unnecessary risks or are a threat to local residents, then why not?

I'm contemplating doing it at some point, and I know several other people who are already out there doing just this.
However, the people I know are wildcamping, not staying on official sites, and are doing it not too far away from their home base.
All they want is a change of scenery. Good enough excuse in my book.

The National Trust are leaving all the parks etc. open for access and the government is actively encouraging people to get outside in the fresh air for exercise - as long as you adhere to the correct health guidelines!

Anyway, you're not telling me that people won't be out and about in their cars taking kids & dogs for walks?!
You could also claim it is necessary for your mental health! There are going to be enough problems for everyone to cope with, so if you can make sure you don't become one of those problem then go for it.

You just need to exercise a large dollop of common sense and avoid close contact with other people outside of your own home circumstances.

If full lockdown occurs at some point in the future then so be it, but at least we don't have any borders to cross in order to get back home!

As detailed under another posted topic, we have now decided to put our 'Millie' on SORN as with my heart and lung conditions it isn't worth the risk even going to the remotest of remote CL sites, so all our journeys for the foreseeable future have been canned..................... However to stop too many cobwebs in my brain, my classic wheels will be coming out of winter hibernation in a week or two and we will be blasting off some miles along the surrounding (deserted) country roads.

’it’s a shame as I wanted to show off its new paintwork now I’ve tidied it all up. View attachment 53606View attachment 53607
Very pretty. They do look nice when clean don’t they. Cleaning the solar panel the other day I noticed more peeling on the roof. To be fair, the sprayer bloke did say it was likely to happen. I’ll be fitting a second panel when I get home, that’s when, not if 😬. I’ll have a go around with something like Hammeright. The undercoat is still sound.

Two 3 month trips to Italy planned this year, in some detail. One over the Alps and down the west side of the Appenine chain, and back up the east side.
The other down the French side of the Alps exploring all the dead end valleys, and back up the Italian side doing likewise.

Couldn’t have chosen a better place could we!

It would be nice to think we could do the second one this year in August but as the news drifts in and figures get analysed I think we will even be lucky if we can shift the whole calendar onto next year, albeit we would have to start in March and end in November to work round Schengen.

Until a vaccine is available in quantity...no time soon...there is as yet no exit strategy, and without that I can see travel insurance being a challenge next year too.

We were also hoping to get away to Italy again this year, 2 months Sept and Oct. along with perhaps 2 months May & June in France.

At least I hadn’t planned or booked anything. What ever happens will happen. So long as we are both fit and healthy-ish.

My nationwide insurance Now won’t cover for new trips.

looks like I’m closing the account, buggerem.

That‘s not quite how I read it, the insurers are saying they will not cover new trips if you make a claim that directly results from the pandemic, other claims eg broken leg etc are not affected ......

You’re probably correct, I only opened the account for the interest and insurance. The interest stopped. The travel insurance cost us a lot extra because of my wife’s situation. I’ll save £13 a month from now on.

Just wondered what the full timers amongst us are planning to do?

we were meant to be going to France when my family returned from USA as my youngest son was going over to get wed ,our plans as other folks have all been booted out so, my plan is to go up north and maybe Hebrides and spend money locally
then maybe a trip to blois in France THEN ORGANISE SOME GREAT MEETS FOR OUR COMMUNITY 👍😀

Last edited:
Hi All
We have had loads of bits booked
Chester rally
Army/navy rugby match
2 week cruise around the med
And a couple of long weekends away
All cancelled and to be honest this is not the time to get upset about it.
My thoughts and sympathy go out to everyone not only in the UK but also Europe and the rest of the world in this trying times.
I know it's not part of this thread but I would like to thank ALL our NHS Staff and wish everyone good health.
Bill & Wendy

My wife has just been notified by HMGov that as she is one of the 1.5million at risk she has to stay at home for 12 weeks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back