TV Licence scam

St3v3

Got this:

Dear Sir/Madam,
You need to update your
TV Licence billing information today
Your TV Licence billing information records are out of date, 28 March 2020.
This requires you to update your billing information.
Failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Please click on "Update Now" and follow the steps on the screen.

it's a scam....

Unlikely to be genuine - follow usual advice to not click links in emails you have any doubts about.

Biggest TV licence scam is the fact that we have to pay such an outdated tax in the first place. Especially to such a left wing organisation intent on social engineering and promoting political correctness, while producing no progammes of any merit whatsoever.

Biggest TV licence scam is the fact that we have to pay such an outdated tax in the first place. Especially to such a left wing organisation intent on social engineering and promoting political correctness, while producing no progammes of any merit whatsoever.

It's time to stand up and be counted, Greytop.
Get off the fence - do you think the BBC is a brilliant, progressive, trustworthy, great value broadcaster or not?
Because I certainly do.

Colin :):):)

You don't have to pay the licence fee if you don't want to - just don't watch any live tv or use iplayer.

Get off the fence - do you think the BBC is a brilliant, progressive, trustworthy, great value broadcaster or not?
Because I certainly do.

It’s not the value it’s the content.

Because I certainly do.

I am glad you like the BBC Colin there is nothing wrong with that we all have our own preferences and views. However regardless of that the injustice is that everyone has to pay their licence fee to watch any live TV channels at all. Whether they like the BBC or in fact watch it at all. The BBC should put their money where their mouth is and make it a subscription only channel. Then people who enjoy watching BBC channels can subscribe accordingly and those who don't need not pay such an outdated TV licence.
I mean how would people feel, who perhaps did not like Sky TV, but were forced into paying the SKY subscription just so they could watch any live TV legally.
Same principle.

Would sky meet the same levels of service for the same money?

No. The length of the adverts are a pain is the ass. I can't watch any of there stuff live as it drives me mental. Program starts at 1601hrs, first advert at 1613, for 6 minutes. And so on....

Would sky meet the same levels of service for the same money?
Well that is the whole point, if you don't like Sky, or BT or Virgin you simply cancel your subscription and that is that. But with the BBC you cannot do that as you are compelled to pay for it in order to view any TV at all.
It is the principle at stake here and not who has the best quality TV, though for what it's worth I think the BBC is a very poor quality and racing down market to the lowest common denominator.

My point is that the BBC is required to do certain things for a fixed price - so if we were all to pay Sky to do the same without adverts would they manage?

Because its the way BBC is funded - it could of course be state funded direct by general taxation.

Because its the way BBC is funded - it could of course be state funded direct by general taxation.
Quite wrong, you are assuming we need this biased organisation and we don't. Let them make it a subscription channel then we will see how popular it is. Certainly when they decriminalise non payment of the licence fee is the day I stop paying it.

I'm not assuming that we do need it but compared to subscription channels it is very cheap.

I'm not assuming that we do need it but compared to subscription channels it is very cheap.
Yes but the difference is with a subscription channel you can cancel your subscription any time you want to. With the BBC you do not have that option you are forced into paying whether you like the BBC or not.

You don't have to pay for the BBC and you can still watch every other channel - so long as it's not live.
In effect you are cancelling your subscription.
So if you really do object it's in your hands to reduce its income.

I don't understand, the BBC licence fee must crop up more frequently than toilet threads on a Motorhome forum.

It has statutory obligations and goes much further than providing just entertainment.

I personally believe this country would be a much poorer place without it. It is uniquely British like the NHS and I would gladly pay more for both.

Paul.

You don't have to pay for the BBC and you can still watch every other channel - so long as it's not live.
In effect you are cancelling your subscription.
So if you really do object it's in your hands to reduce its income.
That is not the point though is it. It is a unjust poll tax to keep afloat a bloated organisation, which could not survive otherwise in the modern world.

That is not the point though is it. It is a unjust poll tax to keep afloat a bloated organisation, which could not survive otherwise in the modern world.

Yawn. This is a thread to warn about a scam, let's leave moaning about the establishment out of it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back