Van made it to USA

Speak to Gaslow,the adaptor will allow American filling point to connect to your filler .

Nashville ,Tennessee 12 October

Arrived at a campsite called Two Rivers about 2 pm ,the closest site to town with a shuttle bus every half hour till 2 am .Felt it best to be on a site when out for the evenings .At £40.00 per night with no allowance for us not using electric you can see why we dont use sites often.The same price for our huge rv neighbour running everything onboard including his two 50” televisions.
Well what do you imagine Nashville ,the country music capitol,would be like.For me its lots of honky tonk bars scattered around the centre and live COUNTRY music with everyone dressed up in cowboy and cowgirl gear.It could not be further in reality.
Arriving at 7pm in to a single street called Broadway heaving with crowds under a prolifiration of neon lights over the half mile strip of bars.Coaches unloading even more visitors with many of the crowds as large groups of hen and stag .The music blaring from each bar was definitely not what I percieve as country ,all of it rock and often heavy rock.Hardly anyone in cowboy gear and the effort to get in to one of these bars !
We managed to enter Roberts bar and nigh on impossible to get a drink with everyone shoulder to shoulder watching the band.I tried to convince myself that this is supposed to be fun and not be a party pooper but the feelgood factor was fast ebbing away.
We made our way a few blocks to Printers Alley known as the blues area.Much calmer where we could get to the bar for a meal and drink.As we walked back to the melee of Broadway we spotted a English bar down a basement.You guessed it ,our hearts were not in it to battle the crowds once more .A game of darts and a pint of OLd Speckled Hen ,brilliant.What a cop out !
But in truth a cop out from what,certainly not country music venues or atmosphere .Country music has left town,probably found in bars spread out where the locals visit and confined to the museum of The Country Hall of Fame .Back in the van by midnight contemplating what we had just experienced. Going back in daylight for that museum today and one more attempt to find some Patsy Kline or Johnny Cash as they open these bars from 11 am to 3 amIMG_20181012_191005.jpg

Nashville, Tennessee 14 October
Walked around the site and adjacent RV sales lot in morning.Such poor quality on these vehicles.
Bus in to town at 1 pm to view the Country Music Hall of Fame .A top tourist site but disappointed our expectations.
If you are knowledgeable of country musicians then it would be good as it tells the historical aspects of the genre from the twenties to now.
Only knowing the big names we wanted a life story of the individual so came out none the wiser .
As it was only 5 pm we managed to get in to a bar on Broadway to enjoy a few beers and they actually played two country tracks that I know in between the rock .
We scarpered town at 7 pm as it began to overflow.

Jackson, Tennessee 15 October
Pic of site from our window at £40 night ,that's why we avoid them.IMG_20181014_172144.jpgIMG_20181013_172619.jpgIMG_20181014_073128.jpg
You have to leave site by 11am so we decided to drive 20 mins to a place called Golden Corral for Sunday lunch .This is a eat all you like buffet restaurant.Plan was to wait in car park to 1 pm but about 12.15 lots of cars started to arrive.Thought best to jump in before it became too crowded.
Turns out that all the churches finish and everyone makes a beeline to this place dressed in their Sunday best.
Ridiculously large range of food available including very nice steaks all for £13.00 each.
Before setting off on our 2.5 hr afternoon drive to Jackson we found a Aldi ,the second one so far on this trip.I read they plan to open 900 stores ! .Shows the size of the country.

Memphis Tennessee 26 October
Arriving at the spacious visitor centre on the river we are told it's ok to leave the van in the car park to visit some sights.Great.
So a short tram ride to Sun Studio's .The famous recording studio that launched Elvis and later many other famous artist's.

WARNING this little story goes on a bit but I think it's interesting enough for my diary which is where most of these posts come from.

Informative tour guide explaining that Elvis came in one afternoon to pay 4 dollars for a private recording .The owner ,Sam Phillips was out so the secretary,Marion Keisker, did the job.Luckily she decided to keep the tape and played it to Sam.As it was a pop song he dismissed it.
A year later Sam had a tune in mind and the secretary suggested Elvis.Sam arranged a few backing musicians but after many songs
thought it wasn't working.According to our guide Elvis suggested one last chance ,a song he knew called “That's alright “ and Sam was shocked by the new sound.
Concerned it was too radical he had the local radio DJ play it.The switchboard lit up asking for re plays all day.He then realised he had to cut the record and a bit was born.
Only 18 months later Sam was in deep money trouble and sold the Elvis contract to RCA for 35,000 dollars.
A bad deal ? But . It enabled him to keep the tiny studio open and give opportunity to others.
How lucky can a man get. He gives chanc s to ,just a few,BB King,Carl Perkins,Jerry Lee,Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash!
If he had not sold Elvis would the others have succeeded ?

The Peabody Hotel .Heard of it ?
Apparently famous for the ducks that ceremoniously come down the lift in morning from the roof ,along a red carpet to the lobby fountain pool and reverse the march in the evening.
We caught the 5 pm bed time ritual along with a ridiculous amount of tourists catching a 30 second performance .Mad .

Memphis.What a sad run down place .The worst we have seen .Large buildings derelict along with many smaller properties.Every corner a person asking for money.More police cars than we've seen any where.
The famous Beale Street music bars are along a short stretch but at 6 pm they were lacking any atmosphere .Did not wait to see an improvement as we needed to get to Graceland RV park before 7 pm.

Graceland , Tennessee 26 October
The campsite is next to Graceland's so only walk through the gate to the ticket office.It is also very fair on its charge at 25 dollars night.
After a few days of dissatisfaction with locations Graceland has surpassed our expectations.
We walked over at 10:30 am and left at 6 pm!
So much to see.At 61 dollars entry that seemed steep but if you don't have to rush then it's good value.The house,cars, museum,planes and of course the shops all take time.
Surprised how small and close to the highway the house is located.I learned a lot about a artist I like but never followed.
Purchased two fat biography volumes by the author Peter Guralnick that should kerpe going a while.
A must visit if you are in the area.

have already mentioned how bad condition many roads are out here but the safety part is also poor.
Few nights ago driving on a two lane each way interstate highway we noticed in the darkness and rain a lorry on fire.Assumed the police ,who where on the scene,would close the road.However all traffic filtered past on the outside lane.As we passed the 15 ft high flames you could feel the intense heat through the window.Surely it was a gamble of a possible explosion .Crazy !
Another time in daylight a woman was filling her tank from a container parked hard up against the crash barrier on the outside lane with cars not slowing passing inches from her .Crazy !
Having seen many of the American old style cars in museums it seems they have lost somewhere the ability to produce a truly American style .All the cars seem to gel in to one modern design that they know will also sell worldwide alongside similar Japanese and European shapes.
Shame because I drool over those old cars and a modern version would stand out in the crowd.

Hazen , Arkansas. 17 October
Before leaving site we can proudly say we have done our laundry in Graceland's.
Across the state line in to Arkansas , pronounced Arkensaw.
We found a forest wild camp spot but also a golf course nearby.
Grand Prairie Country Club made us very welcome and even told us to camp in the car park.A game of nine holes at 4:30 pm .We had a guy approach us on his buggy to ask for a photo and names for the local newspaper.Plying me with beer from his buggy stock we smiled for the camera.
Shame the clubhouse was closed by the late time we finished,I would have been on for a cheap 19th hole ?
Obviously a novelty having some Brits on their course.

Well that's a interesting start to the day.We were discussing what to do and where to go over breakfast.A email came from Brit ,the guy on the course last night inviting us over to the local airfield for a scenic flight.Turns out he is a crop spraying pilot.We went up in his Mooney aircraft.Brought back memories from when I stopped flying our Mooney 20 years ago.
Great fun and how hospitaple can you get.
Thanks Brit.IMG_20181018_112737.jpgIMG_20181018_112558.jpgIMG_20181018_113021.jpg0_IMG-20181018-WA0003.jpg

We dispose of grey waste responsibly on waste ground

In the USA, that is regarded as being VERY irresponsible. And sometimes very illegal. Does depend on exactly where you are of course because in some states grey water is classified as sewage while in most BLM land slowly dripping it on the ground or spreading it on vegetation is officially acceptable.
In 8 years I've never seen grey water disposed of from an RV anywhere other than at a dump station

Last edited:
I’m really enjoying reading this thread. Looks and sounds like you’re having a great time thanks for the updates keep them coming.?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back