Water pump/no water through taps

Bridgetjones3

Hello, We are having an issue getting water through our taps. We have a Whale water pump fitted. We have a full tank of fresh water, have tried sucking water through shower hose. Tried turning pump on and off quickly. Is there anything else we can try? Bear in mind we are not very technical!
Thanks in advance Jan

Can you hear the pump running?

We have a Whale pump (submerged) and it doesn't always pump properly straight after filling from empty or if the tank is getting a bit low and we've been on the move.

It would appear that it sometimes needs priming and the way that I have discovered to do this (by trial and error) is to turn the pump on for about 5 seconds and if it doesn't actually pump water and can heard to be running at an unusual higher pitched note than normal, I switch it off again then wait for 30 seconds or so before switching on again and repeat this on / off process until it works correctly (and sounds right).

Hope that helps.

Hi Allan, Yes ours is also the submerged pump we can hear the pump running. We have tried turning it off and on but we are just getting nowhere. 😢

you need to find the nearest connection coming from the pump to see if water is coming just because you can here the pump doesn;t say its pumping water plus we have had frost & even though you might have drained the water off you can still get water trapped in the pump & knackered it . cheyenne

It can take some time for pumps to prime and get water to the tap. My Surflo Pressure Pump can take a few minutes sometimes. I doubt if the submerged pumps are much faster it at all, so why not leave the pump running for a little bit instead of turning it off and on quickly? not like electricity which is instant ... water takes time to flow.

Hi Wildebus, we did try that as well, we looked on the Autosleeper help page and it said leave the pump running for 5 mins which we did.. still nothing coming through! 😢

When did the pump last work correctly and supply water?
Has the system been drained and refilled since?
Are you initially attempting to obtain cold water or hot water?

If you have a Truma heater / boiler, check if there is a frost valve fitted and that it isn't open.

It could be that when you switch the pump on it is trying to fill an empty boiler tank which is then just letting it out through the open frost valve.

(if this is the case, open your hot taps after shutting the frost valve so when the boiler tank fills the air can escape through your taps, then close them when the water runs smoothly without any air splutter noises)

how hard would it be to remove the pump ? if it's knacked ,as seems possible , it would be simple to test/or replace

From my experience, Whale pumps (and other Whale goods) are expensive rubbish. Your pump will not have a non return valve fitted and you can purchase a very cheap and nasty Whale NRV at an extortionate price to fit yourself (which is often a fiddly job due to the design and placement of some water tanks).

If you have no success get a different make of pump with a NRV on it. Reich or Komet (Comet) pumps are far better. You should never have this problem again.

There wasn’t although I will check again. We filled the water up yesterday (turned the boiler dump valve around and the blue button was then flush! and then attempted to get the water through. We did have another issue which was the grey was showing full when it was empty but that seems to have cleared itself!
Is there water running out underneath your van ???
No the frost valve is closed.

When did the pump last work correctly and supply water?
Has the system been drained and refilled since?
Are you initially attempting to obtain cold water or hot water?
It worked last weekend. We then drained and now refilled water and closed frost valve.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back