Weather Report..................

Well wouldn’t you know it, last full day in France and the 7 hour drive from Fouesnant to Calais was bathed in full sun, hottest day in the last fortnight, still it was good driving weather and the kids have enjoyed the overnight stop here at Guines before finally getting them settled in bed. Fingers crossed that the Chunnel is behaving itself in the morning ready for our trek back to Cheshire.

You've excelled yourself, again Colin.
We're even considering taking up canal cruising again, if our wrecked knees would allow.
You're welcome to the breeze, there's plenty more on it's way.
Southerly, at present and balmy.
34' in the Sun, but a max of 27' forecast for tea, ( Gin, actually ), time

......We're even considering taking up canal cruising again.........

Strange as it may seem, Paul, I think I've spotted just the opportunity for you. Only this morning as we cycled along the left bank of the Canal du Midi we came across the perfect project:

IMG_20190615_101340.jpg

It's clearly ripe for conversion into a canal boat that perfectly meets your needs. The previous owner hasn't cluttered it with tacky canal boat knick-knacks such as painted milk urns or knotted rope fenders but left it in it's original uncluttered glory.
Think panel van conversion to idyllic campervan.
It would become the Bentley of the Waterways.
I'm confident that you'll appreciate the possibilities here and I'm happy to contact the owners on your behalf whilst I'm in the area.
Oh, and by the way - it's made of concrete so there's no dreadful rust issues with this little gem.
Do let me know your thoughts.

Colin ???

We awoke to a brilliant blue sky with a stiff breeze forecast from the west by midday.
So I washed the accumulated sand and detritus from the solar panel and we set off a for a westerly cycle along the Canal du Midi into a gentle, warm breeze.
I was struck by the pale lemon colour of the dandelions along the banks:

IMG_20190615_120755-01.jpeg

So different to the bright yellow dandelions to be found on the Beautiful Isle.
A few kilometres along the Canal I decided to demonstrate my party trick of walking on water:

IMG-20190615-WA0014.jpg

Shortly after which I was attacked by two dogs who drew blood from my leg before I managed to land a couple of kicks in their mouths.
Divine retribution?
I'm so happy that Jane kept cycling so that I could concentrate on the dogs rather than worry about Jane.
No, really.
By now the wind had gathered strength and we were blown back to Homps for some TLC on my leg. And so we left for Minerve under a still blue sky. This little gem........

IMG_20190615_153445-01.jpeg

.......is set high above the Gorges of the Brian (!) and the Cesse rivers and was formerly a stronghold of the Cathars, a religious group of whom 140 were burnt at the stake here by Catholics in 1210.
For me the real highlight of the visit is the Cesse Gorge. The Cesse must have been a huge underground river hereabouts in past millennia. Then huge sections of the roof caved in and was washed away leaving two 'tunnels' a couple of hundred metres long. They really are huge:

IMG_20190615_162611.jpg

....and it's possible to walk through them, depending on the condition of the river:

IMG_20190615_165350-01.jpeg

.........and back out to a blue sky at the far end:

IMG_20190615_165531.jpg

Tonight we're wildcamped above Minerve, the sky is clear, the wind has vanished and the stars are amazing.

Colin ???

Strange as it may seem, Paul, I think I've spotted just the opportunity for you. Only this morning as we cycled along the left bank of the Canal du Midi we came across the perfect project:

View attachment 46669

It's clearly ripe for conversion into a canal boat that perfectly meets your needs. The previous owner hasn't cluttered it with tacky canal boat knick-knacks such as painted milk urns or knotted rope fenders but left it in it's original uncluttered glory.
Think panel van conversion to idyllic campervan.
It would become the Bentley of the Waterways.
I'm confident that you'll appreciate the possibilities here and I'm happy to contact the owners on your behalf whilst I'm in the area.
Oh, and by the way - it's made of concrete so there's no dreadful rust issues with this little gem.
Do let me know your thoughts.

Colin ???
I pitched it to Management and she was quite receptive...
Until I explained that I would need to buy a big bass drum for ethical, green propulsion, rather than dirty diesel...

She asked how that would work..?
" I'll bang the drum.... You row !" Said I.

So that's another cunning plan out of the window.

There was a brilliant blue sky above us at our wildcamp by Minerve together with warm sunshine and still air.
We've driven up onto the limestone plateau and then to the Col de Serieres at about 700 metres.
Where we found about 100 people gathered in the middle of the very narrow road, about 30 of whom were sat on orderly rows of chairs facing a small group of dignitaries!
There were people in services dress, rescue service representatives, the whole shebang.
We were waved through!
An interesting maneuver, though I suppose the emergency service personnel would have taken care of casualties.
Then on to the Roc Suzadou for breakfast.
The Roc is a wildcamp to die for.......with full-fat 4g, a view to the Pyrenees:

IMG_20190616_102311.jpg

..........and a picnic table.

A wonderful start to Father's Day.

Colin ???

Slightly overcast here at the Stones but we are moving on today not stopping for the summer solstice although it is years since I have done the summer one I prefer the more quieter winter one or the two equinox’s so the south coast it is then ??

D4EA6A31-C8A2-4B1B-B8BB-1F8732F49730.jpeg3AE8EA84-F935-443E-BAF6-0A2447AD5DC5.jpeg

We awoke to a brilliant blue sky with a stiff breeze forecast from the west by midday.
So I washed the accumulated sand and detritus from the solar panel and we set off a for a westerly cycle along the Canal du Midi into a gentle, warm breeze.
I was struck by the pale lemon colour of the dandelions along the banks:

View attachment 46670

So different to the bright yellow dandelions to be found on the Beautiful Isle.
A few kilometres along the Canal I decided to demonstrate my party trick of walking on water:

View attachment 46675

Shortly after which I was attacked by two dogs who drew blood from my leg before I managed to land a couple of kicks in their mouths.
Divine retribution?
I'm so happy that Jane kept cycling so that I could concentrate on the dogs rather than worry about Jane.
No, really.
By now the wind had gathered strength and we were blown back to Homps for some TLC on my leg. And so we left for Minerve under a still blue sky. This little gem........

View attachment 46674

.......is set high above the Gorges of the Brian (!) and the Cesse rivers and was formerly a stronghold of the Cathars, a religious group of whom 140 were burnt at the stake here by Catholics in 1210.
For me the real highlight of the visit is the Cesse Gorge. The Cesse must have been a huge underground river hereabouts in past millennia. Then huge sections of the roof caved in and was washed away leaving two 'tunnels' a couple of hundred metres long. They really are huge:

View attachment 46676

....and it's possible to walk through them, depending on the condition of the river:

View attachment 46671

.........and back out to a blue sky at the far end:

View attachment 46673

Tonight we're wildcamped above Minerve, the sky is clear, the wind has vanished and the stars are amazing.

Colin ???

Hope that your tetanus jab is up to date, dog bites can turn very nasty. NHS

It eventually turned out very nice yesterday for the Paisley Carfest, and another sunny warm day today. ☀️☀️☀️

Back