Weight issues

Another vote for John Ruffles.
For some reason SV Tech didn't want to let me update my Alko axle with air bags despite being on a Fiat Maxi chassis with bigger wheels and brakes.
As my van was marginal even empty John's pragmatism was very welcoming.
Especially as he's so much cheaper.
He sometimes spends time in north Wales so if you don't get an answer from his Suffolk phone try 01359250808

Many many thanks for all your suggestions guys,
ive phoned SV Tech and spoke to a really nice helpful guy, who suggested what can and can’t be done, how much, and what I need to fit to take it up to 3.85t
ive also had a very enlightening phone conversation with Phil, and he actually suggested JR consultancy, so I’m going to give him a ring tomorrow.
As im not paying for the paperwork side of it, it won’t really matter who I use, but I’ll see what JRC have to say about needing wider tyres and air bags, and I’ll decide from there.
Many thanks again for our informative chat Phil, I’ve learned loads.
Hope everyone is enjoying our new found freedom from lockdown, Happy travels, and STAY SAFE
You will need tyres capable of carrying the revised axle loads.
On mine I had to go up a width 225-70-16 from common 215-70 to get the extra.

Update.......
I’ve telephoned JR. Consultancy, and spoke to the owner,
very knowledgeable guy, who can up the weight limit on my van to 3850kg with no modifications.
So no new tyres to buy, and no air bags to buy, and on top of that he’s about £100 cheaper than VTech.
Its all down to engineers reports and type approval, so many thanks again Phil for the info, just awaiting return of my log book from buying van, so I can get info from it, and start the process.
Also phoned my insurance company, no increase in premium, and the recovery company that I’ve got through them cover up to 7.5 ton.....
Happy Days
And DVLA will send you a refund now you've gone to HGV - the ongoing lower VED will pay JRC fees in a few years 😀

And DVLA will send you a refund now you've gone to HGV - the ongoing lower VED will pay JRC fees in a few years 😀
Just received the invoice today from JRC, Paid it and phoned him, Great chap, paperwork on its way to me, so just need to copy it then send to DVLA.
Then hopefully no more worry about taking the kitchen sink....

He is a lovely chap - sometimes a bit hard of hearing though and on occasion his wife acted as intermediary.
He sounds older than he is (65) and until I checked his age was a bit worried that SV Tech might soon be getting a monopoly in the market!
I've always found him very helpful and he processes uprated very promptly when given the right documentation.
It's worth double checking ViN number on the 'plate' because he's only human. For me it made no difference to DVLA when I sent his certificate with wrong number - they obviously don't check!
However as I wasn't convinced that foreign plod might not compare plate (now 3 of them!) with V5 I asked for correction which arrived by return.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back