What was your weirdest Parking place for overnight ?

We, my daughter with family and my wife and I spent the night on a military firing range Ravlunda on Skåne's east coast. We hed checked that there were no shooting that night. There were grenade remains here and there and we were a little worried during the night.IMG_1048.JPG

Hi. No pictures. But Detling lay-by near Maidstone heading towards sittingbourne. Parked up about 30 mins. Then for the next hour or so. Different cars parking behind us very close Men leaning on roof of cars staring into Moho Eventually I got out of Moho approached a man and asked him. What the hell he was doing because he was making my wife nervous. He replied. That he was nervous too as it was his first time at doing this. Soon moved. Our first time on hearing about dogging. Surprising how often they turn up at different spots. Brian

In the centre of Condom. Near Cognac.
Not planned to stop... But , why not ?
Took the usual photographs
Then blagged a visit to the Armagnac distillery.
They didn't have any visits booked that October day.
No regular guide on duty.... But Claudette would like to practice her English..?..
3 hours of fascinating informative company of a very bright, enthusiastic Ma'mselle.
And more than generous with the sampling.
Oh , how we miss those instants of serendipity .

Once parked at an aire in France the place was empty with spaces for about 15 20 vans. This van came in while we went a walk to the shop and parked that close to us you couldn’t open the door or the widow. He was British told him of his error in a nice soft Glasgow accent he got the message and moved 3 towns away.

You are noted for your silver tongue, tact and tolerant nature.
I'm surprised, there are not more of your countrymen in the Diplomatic Corps ?

Probably because it's full of Yorkshiremen. ?
😜

Paul we used too meet up at B&Q on a Friday morning for breakfast 4 vans 8 guys. I parked a brand new Sprinter van in an empty car park must have been 300 empty spaces. Sitting in the cafe watching out window this Moron in a beat up transit parks about six inches fae my pride and joy. We watched him walk away got our 4 vans and blocked him in solid on four sides nearly touching his van. Then went and sat on a bench and watched him slowly go mental. He ended up phoning the cops after 20 minutes of arguing with us.We waited till we seen the cop car coming in the car park jumped in our vans and drove off.

Couldn't find the first two alleged Sostas near Biscegli but the third was fine.

The owner said her sosta was the adjacent tennis court. It was lovely and flat. (y)

pulled into a quiet corner in Alte, Algarve , long before aires were invented . had a long drive so slept well considering the early banging about outside . then the shouting and mad music started . looked out and they'd erected a market round us ! their annual 3 day market ! we had a good time with the traders, and after inviting a few black clad old ladies into the van for a nosey, had a few laughs with the gypsies too . no way out but it was a short walk to the swimming place and there was a country dancing festival too up by the spring. and no worries about leaving the van !

We weren't parking for the night, but went to Figeiro dos Vinhos as there was a carnival (April I think ) surprisingly there was a row of big parking spaces free in the town centre, so we parked the van about 10am and went to explore. The carnival parade started about 12.30 and we realised our van was in the centre of the route. They paraded round and round, some going off for a break, then reappearing an hour later. Great fun to watch initially, but as it got colder and still carried on, we went back and waited it out....finally drive off about 6.30pm.
The best, well, most memorable, floats, were ones with figure representing local politicians.....one was hanging from a gallows at the back of the lorry, another was getting "serviced" by a lady.....not a lot of respect for them I feel! I did take a picture ( as it went past us countless times:rolleyes:) but can't find it now!

Alte..
Thanks for the reminder, Nigel.
Before the landslip, we used to sneak up the lane up to Fonte Grande and park up by the toilets. There was a kiosk open nearby .
He practiced his English and introduced us to the GNR patrols.
The other wildcampers congregated surrounding the washhouse and looked to be permanent residents.
We would take off and return for a week's R& R, after exploring The real Algarve.

One Saturday midnight, we were wakened by the booming sound of drumming from the natural amphitheatre, nearby.
A Guy was having a great time going through his repertoire on a large Djembe drum.

If you can't beat 'em .. Join 'em. Boogied the night away.

Years later, we joined a Djembe group and still have the drums.
The 2001 storm brought the cliffs down... They've just renovated the huge Portuguese flag on the concrete buttress that they'd built.
They have tarted the area between the fontes and taken away our private pitch. It's on all the tourist trips now.
Great memories.

Last edited:
A 2nd being somebody's bungalow in Denmark.
Yeas advertised on camper contact and just their drive but with EHU and the like.
Perfectly good for a pit-stop and shop.

we went to Alte after reading about it in a James michener book . over 40 yrs ago ,not very touristy as the cobbled roads were so bad -down to walking pace in places ,which suited my old bedford ! and that concrete bed was there even then !
the job i got down there , villa maintenance , meant we got to park up at many villas while working on them ,empty of course ,so we could use the pool ,bathroom and washing machines etc . places owned by Judith Chalmers , Len Deighton etc .
i once had the keys to a row of holiday lets in Albufeira , and i gave everybody who was staying on our beach , Evaristo a key . they all came up in their vans next morning,with kids and dogs ,and used the showers and washing machines. one dutch guy had 7 kids and took all morning to shower them all ! dutch ,french german swiss brits of course proper international clean up ! a few even washed their vans . i don't think the owners ever found out

Last edited:
Qoute..
we went to Alte after reading about it in a James Michener book . over 40.... Snip..

James A. Michener..
He wrote well about Iberia.
His books led us to some interesting places, we'd have never thought of visiting.
His works of fiction are worth picking up, if you see them in charity shops..
You do remember Charity shops, don't you ?
Carrabean was a masterpiece.

In the centre of Condom. Near Cognac.
Not planned to stop... But , why not ?
Took the usual photographs
Then blagged a visit to the Armagnac distillery.
They didn't have any visits booked that October day.
No regular guide on duty.... But Claudette would like to practice her English..?..
3 hours of fascinating informative company of a very bright, enthusiastic Ma'mselle.
And more than generous with the sampling.
Oh , how we miss those instants of serendipity .
Tried the one in Clitorix in France?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back