What was your weirdest Parking place for overnight ?

Qoute..
we went to Alte after reading about it in a James Michener book . over 40.... Snip..

James A. Michener..
He wrote well about Iberia.
His books led us to some interesting places, we'd have never thought of visiting.
His works of fiction are worth picking up, if you see them in charity shops..
You do remember Charity shops, don't you ?
Carrabean was a masterpiece.
i believe it was a book called 'The Drifters' ,which pretty much described our lifestyle

Late arrival at an Aire in Toledo, jam packed with youngsters for a pop concert at the Football stadium, saw an empty carpark across the dual carriageway with no parking restriction notices.
Turned out it was the Police headquarters parking! Oops!
Got moved on?
Found a big flat area, further up the hill by the entrance to a county park, awoken at 3AM by noise and stench of bin lorries transferring waste into a queue of skip wagons!
Not my best night!

A few years back we parked up to spend a few sunny days at Freshwater West, next to the Castlemartin Training Range. In the evening we started hearing a few bangs so had a look outside to discover that there was a naval battle going on in front of our eyes! Lots of boats scuttling about with gunfire and smoke, very interesting. This went on for quite a while, then they all went home for tea.

Headcorn airfield..
3 nights with locally connected friends..
Loads of small plane activity, just outside our window.
I was Sooooo close to taking up an offer of a flip in a Tiger Moth..
I didn't sleep, the night before.

Luckily, he had a leaky fuel tank joint... Such a nice guy, I hadn't the heart to turn down his offer.

took the kids to Oakwood a few years back ,had a good day and pulled into a forestry clearing . dinner on . young couple pulled up and asked if i minded them camping there . free country i said .

next thing ,the lanes blocked by dozens of cars , the sound systems banging and hundreds of young people are stoned out their bonces and dancing like loonies ! had a great ,but noisy night .
to be fair ,they really cleared up well,and took all the rubbish away . rave on !

A few years back we parked up to spend a few sunny days at Freshwater West, next to the Castlemartin Training Range. In the evening we started hearing a few bangs so had a look outside to discover that there was a naval battle going on in front of our eyes! Lots of boats scuttling about with gunfire and smoke, very interesting. This went on for quite a while, then they all went home for tea.
That reminds me of a stay on a CCC cs site at Devises , lovely spot adjacent to the Kennet and Avon canal, the owner said they had very few users, it was a bit overgrown at the time and we had to search a patch of stinging nettles for the water tap, as we were only staying one night we were not too bothered, well as it got dark we were alarmed by shotgun blast that seemed a few yards from the van but Turned out to be duck hunters on the canal, later that evening there were some tremendous bangs and ground shaking from what was the BIG GUN, this gun is huge apparently and is on Salisbury Plain and a toy of the Army there, the firing went on for about an hour and was very loud, despite the distance we were away from the gun, we then realised why this nice site was underused and we never recommended it to others as we had promised the owners to do . hee hee.

Like campervanannie, I've woken up in the middle of a bootsale. I actually forgot about that one until now.

Most memorable overnight was a at the carpark of Reddish Vale county park in Stockport. Turned out to be a popular place for dudes to hook up. They were discreet, so no biggie. I just kept the curtains shut and was thankful for the aeroplanes thundering overhead.
About midnight I was sneakily stepping out to tip my pee bottle under a bush, when I was startled by the sudden arrival of a car. I fumbled the bottle and tipped 1ltr of pee up my arm and all down myself.

Going back a few years ago, when I was still driving wagons, I got a phone call from the boss, asking me to go into London and change trailers with another driver. He was trying to deliver an electrical switch box to an address in London, and he had run out of time.
The Admiralty had sold some property on the edge of Hyde Park, and the developers were building four palatial apartment buildings.
Every time I approached the entrance to the building site, the foreman would wave me past, asking me to go round the block again. This involved exiting Hyde Park, coming back along Knightsbridge to Hyde Park Corner and then back into the Park again.
Eventually, I phoned the office and told my boss that I too was running out of time, and that there was no way that I could park up in the City and I didn’t have enough time to drive out.
After some frantic phone calls, it was arranged that I would drive around the block one more time, and then I would be allowed into the building site.
As promised, I was backed in, told to park under the crane, and sign off for the day.
I was then shown the shower block, taken for a slap up meal in a local pub, and allowed back in my cab for what I thought was going to be a well deserved sleep.
Little did I know that the Rolling Stones were performing a concert in Hyde Park that night and I got to hear the whole show.
I wanted to hold on to my tachograph disc for that night, but of course I wasn’t allowed. It’s not every day that you can say that you parked up at Number One Hyde Park.

495E909A-AA6C-4755-8DF1-A63B53EA8542.png

Slightly scruffy parking spot in centre of a Spanish town. We knew there would be a market behind us so thought that was the reason for the generator noises in the morning, but noo:

FB_IMG_1614421817325.jpg

Years ago with some mates we were on motorbikes and hit some fog. We gently nosed our way through it and finally gave up and pitched our tents on the verge at the side of the road. Mr.Plod woke us up very early the next morning as we were camped on the central reservation of a dual carriageway!

Years ago with some mates we were on motorbikes and hit some fog. We gently nosed our way through it and finally gave up and pitched our tents on the verge at the side of the road. Mr.Plod woke us up very early the next morning as we were camped on the central reservation of a dual carriageway!
me and a mate ,our families on sidecar outfits , did exactly the same thing ,in the middle of a playground used as a popular short cut by all the locals heading for town . felt weird frying sausages !

Reactions: 2cv
Had a few unusual campsites over the years. This one was probably the most spectacularly unexpected.

Got off the ferry to Iceland, stocked up at the supermarket and headed off up the hill to ring road 1
Steaight away drove into very thick fog and since it was way out of my comfort zone, we peered through the windscreen desperate for enough flat ground to get safely off the road. Spotted a postage stamp sized bit of flatness and reefed the wheel to the left and with a big sigh of relief, switched the engine off. Checked that I was off the road - barely - so tied the big reflector on the corner, cooked tea and went to bed, fingers crossed that I penetrable fog wasn't going to be an everyday feature of our three weeks in Iceland.

Woke next morning, pulled back the front blinds and - WOW!
Welcome to Iceland
IMG_4876-1.jpg

This one is unusual just because it is very difficult to get to.
From Texas, north to Niagara Falls, west to the other side of Canada, north west to Dawson City and then north east for nearly 1000km to Tuktoyuktuk, an Inuit settlement on the Arctic Ocean. Previously the only way to get here was by ice roads in the winter, but now they have built the final stage of an all weather road through the Tundra.
This is the only place in North America you can drive yourself to the Arctic Ocean

And I wouldn't be too surprised if nobody has yet been silly enough to take a "delicate" Class A motorhome up there since
DSCF1217-3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back