What was your weirdest Parking place for overnight ?

South of La Rochdale,in village of Charron. We parked at the end of a dead end road at a little port.It was very quiet, nobody about
.About 5 o clock the following morning we heard vehicles coming in,tractors and vans with trailers. They were going out in their boats oyster fishing. We were being surrounded. Rather than be stuck there for the morning, we quickly left and found a layby to stop for an early breakfast.

I like it "La Rochdale".....is that near Le Bury or Le Stockport ?
How about Saint John des Groats and Gretna Verdant. Glasgow-en-Clyde...
Enuff !

Last edited:
That reminds me of a stay on a CCC cs site at Devises , lovely spot adjacent to the Kennet and Avon canal, the owner said they had very few users, it was a bit overgrown at the time and we had to search a patch of stinging nettles for the water tap, as we were only staying one night we were not too bothered, well as it got dark we were alarmed by shotgun blast that seemed a few yards from the van but Turned out to be duck hunters on the canal, later that evening there were some tremendous bangs and ground shaking from what was the BIG GUN, this gun is huge apparently and is on Salisbury Plain and a toy of the Army there, the firing went on for about an hour and was very loud, despite the distance we were away from the gun, we then realised why this nice site was underused and we never recommended it to others as we had promised the owners to do . hee hee.
I grew up in Marlborough, we could often hear those guns 15-20 miles away.

In the back yard of the Fiat dealer in Inverness. We lost the clutch slave cylinder while in the Outer Hebrides and because the gearbox has to come off, it was main dealer only. No truck big enough in the islands so had to get one from Skye onto the ferry to Stornoway, which then drove down to Harris to collect us, back to Stornoway, ferry to Ullapool and then to 60 miles to Inverness. 163 miles total. Too late in the day for them to start it so they ran a mains lead out for us and we slept there for 1 night, then all the way back again to Stornoway. Luckily we are with Mayday. Hate to think what that would have cost. Terrible night there. Seagulls roost on the rooves of all the commercial buildings and they don't sleep. Hundreds of the buggers. :-(

Scotland2628.jpg

After a rough and delayed ferry crossing from Ireland to Holyhead and a long buffetting getting docked,
We put the nearest POI into the satang and arrived at South Stack about midnight, pitch black and exhausted.
Parked up on an empty carpark. Crashed out.

8 o'clock next morning, we were jerked awake by loud chimes.. Popeye the Sailor man, and a horn hooting..
A grumpy ice cream man shouted at us, that we were on his pitch.

I pulled the blind up, opened the window and gave him some travel advice, in Portuguese.
We eventually got up and about, moving over to the other side of the deserted carpark.
What a beautiful place.. The lighthouse below.
We had an explore and returned to the , still deserted carpark.
I walked over to the van, holding a £ 20 note.
Sourpuss scowled and told me he couldn't change that,
I replied in broken English..
" Hi phone my friend ..ask heem what I say to apologise to you.?
He tell me say.. Fur cough you miserable git.".
And then we drove off.

When I was much younger I used to use my VW camper for business trips to S Wales. Late one evening I pulled into a large lay-by and got my head down.
About 3.00am a knock on the window from a copper asking what I was doing ( obvious really😄)
Then he wanted to know why I had chosen the car park to their M4 motorway patrol headquarters😱😱😱

He was ok and just asked I shift at a reasonable time in the morning.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back