Wheel nut torque settings

I had a mobile tyre fitter out once to change 2 tyres on my MH. I asked him about the torque settings and his reply was "Dunno but they feel tight enough for me". I carry a torque wrench with me know just in case as I also found out it was 180Nm and after having any new tyres now I double check them.

Fine by me, so long as they don't come off by themselves, I just lubricate the mating faces with copperslip.

So im told, but you try changing a wheel thats been on over a year at midnight up some dark road, there will be some bad lingo used.
Sorry to say Trev. but it is most certainly NOT best practice to put any kind of lubricant on the the threads of wheel nuts, in fact it goes against all industry recommendations.
If you want to secure nuts as well as stopping the threads going rusty, then clean them thoroughly and apply some Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 which leaves the nuts or studs no harder to remove, it simply stops them vibrating loose as they sometimes can do https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...ts/specialty/loctite_threadlockerblue242.html

Sorry to say Trev. but it is most certainly NOT best practice to put any kind of lubricant on the the threads of wheel nuts, in fact it goes against all industry recommendations.
If you want to secure nuts as well as stopping the threads going rusty, then clean them thoroughly and apply some Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 which leaves the nuts or studs no harder to remove, it simply stops them vibrating loose as they sometimes can do https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/...ts/specialty/loctite_threadlockerblue242.html
I know, but getting them off even with locktite can be a bother, I had to use my gas bottles to get 2 nuts off yesterday, feckers had seized even though id Teflon on them from last year. :mad:

Had my new Michelin cross climate camper tyres fitted today, the tyre fitter put my Registration into some App and it recommended 180 NM torque for the wheel nuts, he has said to come back when I've done 100 miles and he will recheck the torque.

Had my new Michelin cross climate camper tyres fitted today, the tyre fitter put my Registration into some App and it recommended 180 NM torque for the wheel nuts, he has said to come back when I've done 100 miles and he will recheck the torque.
He knows his stuff. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back