Who manufactures the best new vans?

The only way I can participate in this is to say I have no idea. Unless something drastic happens to Casper I don’t intend getting another. C1 and medical could interfere with that in a few years though but I expect any vans mentioned in this thread would be outside my price range but will read with interest :)

In my experience it wouldn’t be British or Italian built motorhome

But possibly a German manufacturer

I have owned an Autosleeper , 2 Swifts , Mobilvetta and Frankia models

Friends have had

Mobilvetta , Lunar, CI’s , Dethleffs ,Hymer , Carthago

A review of one of my first choices. https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/51398-wingamm-micros-40th-anniversary-edition
I find that most vans at shows are less than impressive, the two that I mentioned really impressed me, not that I’m even considering a change,
Interesting too that many of the vans with the highest satisfaction ratings are conversions, and that only 14% of cochbuilts give water ingress problems in the first 5 years. I’d never heard of some of the smaller manufacturerers but they do seem to compare well to the big conglomerates.
It is a shame about the Moto trek payloads as they have a lovely finish. https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/45271-moto-trek-x-cite-eb

I've owned a hymer B694 (fiat) which handled lovely but bathroom equipment fitted was average and soon faded,then a Hymer S820 (mercedes) which as expected was the dogs danglies for finish and luxury but handled like a pig, we downsized to 3500kg as I didn't want to bother with my LGV license and have owned a trigano tribute (fiat) (cheap and shoddy), a British built Devon Sapphire on a Crafter base van (thirsty) which was well built but very poorly insulated and have ended up with a Wildax Solaris XL on a Citroen chassis, I can honestly say it is the best van I have ever owned. The finish is superb, every bit as good as Hymer and the specifications superb with big fridge/freezer/microwave/full oven and so on, on my experience I'd say Wildax are very very good and of similar quality to the best German converters, and although it sticks in my throat the French Citroen relay is very good.

We’ve had 2 autosleepers, a Knaus and a Bürstner. The build quality on all 4 has been excellent, unlike (eg) the Bailey my SIL had. Like many here, I’ve had most of the covers and panels off to furtle around which tends to reveal any ratty edges or shortcuts. .

Reactions: 2cv
Depends on which sector of the market you are looking at, but to generalise, although it pains me to say so, German makes usually win out on quality of construction and finish. We’ve had Hymers and Chausson and currently a Carthago. Our first Hymer, a second-hand B544 was built like a tank, [not the Fiat part!] and like ***** we noticed a falling of standards on later Hymers. Chausson are very good on innovative interior layouts, but the construction is only average, however their customer care in our experience was excellent.
Dave

Birdie is my one and only motorhome (yes, I know - cheap and cheerful British build!) so I don't have experience of any others... they all look quality to me! From what I've seen of other vans that I've been inside, I tend to like the older ones rather than the new. It seems to me that some are getting a bit too plastic these days, although the high-end ones are stunning. If I won the lottery and could have any van, I'm still not convinced I'd go for new but I'd go for a German build because everyone says they're the best.

The very best van out there, whether it be self-built or commercially made, is the one that suits you the most! It's got to keep me warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to cook a meal in, be comfortable and welcoming. My little self-build delivers for me, it's simple and I can fix any anomaly that happens because I built it.

I have had a few vans but only 2 that could be classed as a motorhome but I must admit I have inadvertently become a fan of Rapido’s whenever I go look round vans I can’t fault then even the newer ones.

But I am sure Charlie will be along to tell me they are cr@p. ??

I quite like the bigger German stuff like the concords built on proper truck chases and would love one that stores a baby fiat 500 in back. I really like the Dethleff van I have now maybe a bit large for some but loads of storage realy well insulated and comfortable as hell for us three but best van layout and use of space I think I’ve ever seen is rugbykens hymer we had 8 very large adults sat round a table for a roast dinner couldent do that in mine no chance.

Who do you think makes the best vans available today.
I’ve only seen them at shows, but two that I’d nominate are Wingamm https://www.wingamm.com/home/ and moto trek http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/ whose vans are certainly quality finish but possibly at the expense of payload.

All motorhomes have the very best quality controllers....... the trouble is these are the owners after they have bought the van !!
In my experience having only bought one van, I would never buy British again after the numerous problems we have had with our Autocruise built by Swift. The trouble with most if not all foreign vans is they do not have full ovens.

All motorhomes have the very best quality controllers....... the trouble is these are the owners after they have bought the van !!
In my experience having only bought one van, I would never buy British again after the numerous problems we have had with our Autocruise built by Swift. The trouble with most if not all foreign vans is they do not have full ovens.
Is an oven not an option when you buy a new van?

Vantage, who make panel van conversions are a top end company but their vans are worth the money. This is our 3rd moho, 2 coachbuilts and then the NEO. It took us 3 vehicles to get it right.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back